Universal Love Jarryd Roughead retires from the AFL - record your appreciation in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you Rough - it’s going to be quite emotional on Sunday watching you play your last game for the brown and gold.

One of my all time favourite hawks
All the best to Ruff and his family

So, almost 14 years ago to the day, I happened to be out at Glenferrie Oval watching the boys train. It was towards the end of a long and frustrating season for all concerned, and the club will still bogged down by the lack of modern training facilities at Glenferrie Oval.

There were these two young kids horsing around behind Clarko's back. One of them had #38 on his training jumper. The other had #35 on his jumper. After a fairly wet and muddy winter, the ground at Glenferrie Oval wasn't in the best of conditions and the two young colts had resorted to picking up clods of dirt and flinging those clods at each other, not really concentrating on the messages from the coaching staff.

They were, of course, Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead. Somewhere at home I have an old Hawthorn guernsey (with the HSBC sponsorship and the old logo) with faded signatures of the two of them with their first numbers at the club.

Of course, if my current self travelled back 14 years to whisper about what the future would hold, I would hardly have believed it and, I suspect, neither Roughead nor Buddy would either.

It was an amazing journey. Thanks, Roughie.

Congrats on a great Journey Roughy, you're a legend of the game and more importantly a Legend in the Brown and Gold family. Good luck on your future projects, you are a class act.

So, almost 14 years ago to the day, I happened to be out at Glenferrie Oval watching the boys train. It was towards the end of a long and frustrating season for all concerned, and the club will still bogged down by the lack of modern training facilities at Glenferrie Oval.

There were these two young kids horsing around behind Clarko's back. One of them had #38 on his training jumper. The other had #35 on his jumper. After a fairly wet and muddy winter, the ground at Glenferrie Oval wasn't in the best of conditions and the two young colts had resorted to picking up clods of dirt and flinging those clods at each other, not really concentrating on the messages from the coaching staff.

They were, of course, Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead. Somewhere at home I have an old Hawthorn guernsey (with the HSBC sponsorship and the old logo) with faded signatures of the two of them with their first numbers at the club.

Of course, if my current self travelled back 14 years to whisper about what the future would hold, I would hardly have believed it and, I suspect, neither Roughead nor Buddy would either.

It was an amazing journey. Thanks, Roughie.
Best. Story. Ever.

I recall in an earlier draft, the Saints selected the twin towers Riewoldt and Koschitzke. Riewoldt went on to be a superstar but Koschitzke never really reached the level we suspected he would. I remember being envious the Saints had two quality young talls. Then the Hawks picked up Roughy and Buddy but it took a little while for Roughy to click causing me to be a little disappointed. History recalls how great both of those players became and my disappointment was unfounded.

I recall Roughy's 1st appearance on the Footy Show, with his shock of thick red hair. Sam Newman, who obviously had paid no attention to the draft was hearing the name Roughead for the first time and thought people were having him on.

It's been amazing how popular Roughy became, not only with Hawks fans but with the media and opposition supporters as well. There was nothing plastic about Roughy, he was a dinkum Aussie, the real deal, and I guess a touch of humility is what we admire most in our sporting heroes.

Thanks for giving us your very best Roughy and enjoy your retirement.

It’s almost like a part of all of us will die today but how lucky were we to have this guy play for us his whole career. You can’t help but feel that no matter what Roughie chooses to do from here on out that he’ll be great at it and inspire those around him to be better people just like he himself sets the tone for. I don’t know how I feel about not having the big fella in the #2 anymore but if anyone has given all that they could for club then Roughie is the guy so here’s to you mate 👍🏾👍👍🏾

Thanks Roughie ! Thanks for the memories and for giving it everything you had for the Brown & Gold. Thanks also for always being there for the fans at training, usually the last to leave the field. I wish you well in life after footy. You've made many friends along the way, and many fans happy watching you play.

Well batted !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best rough. What a way to go out. Hoping he can get another gig next week even and match buddy's record.

Anyone notice the interview with Jordan Lewis? I assume the "cockroach" is the coach, not cochrane from the suns?

Nevermind the flags and the success.

Players like Roughy are what make me proud of this club. Gives it his all. He's got nothing left.

Can finally rest and look back on his magnificent career now. Enjoy the memories Rough. I certainly have.

Way to go out on top Rough... dunno if he gets a gig next week... but I cheered loudly for every goal and every attack on the ball (no doubt making my neighbours wonder what on earth ha ha)... gonna miss the guy.

My goodness gracious. I didn't know I could laugh and cry at the same time.Roughy you are so much to so many.

Well done Roughy, raising a glass here in celebration of a stellar career and a fantastic last(?) game!
Go Hawks!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back