Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

To suggest Kennett does not have the best interests of the Hawthorn football club at heart is vindictive.
If you truly believe it then do something about it.

and you cant do anything about it because its not a democratic process

......and if you agree with that also accept Andrew’s vindictiveness and hatred of us because our president dares criticise him... what a great Premier almost Trumpish
Funding sports clubs projects is a discretionary spend.

If you got on the radio/TV/Twitter every day telling anyone that will listen that I don’t know what I’m doing, and that I should resign.

When you knock on my door tomorrow and ask me to spot you a twenty, is it vindictive of me to say “No I don’t think I will”? Or is it just common sense not to reward your detractors, you think?

Funding sports clubs projects is a discretionary spend.

If you got on the radio/TV/Twitter every day telling anyone that will listen that I don’t know what I’m doing, and that I should resign.

When you knock on my door tomorrow and ask me to spot you a twenty, is it vindictive of me to say “No I don’t think I will”? Or is it just common sense not to reward your detractors, you think?

Federal Labour were going to fund us if they won.

Last edited by a moderator:
Federal Labour were going to fund us if they won.
Andrews is a special kind of hater.
Yeah, I think it helps when Jeff didn’t campaign against Federal labor for 8 months via Twitter/herald sun/sky news.

The level of understanding of the main issue here is vexing.

"Jeff can say what he wants because...I agree with him" is so self evidently flawed as a rationale, I am struggling to see a way to get through

Can you understand at all that this is not the point?

"Jeff is 100% correct" is not fact, it is opinion. Kennett has stated that he believes (I don't know if this is true) that stating his opinion has harmed the club. However, he continues to express it. Many of us do not want a president who believes his right to express political criticism outweighs his chosen duty to the club.

To make the point clearer, if the situations were reversed, and we had a Liberal premier, and an ex-Labor premier as club president, acting in a way that was detrimental to the club in its dealings with the government, even if expressing opinions that I personally agreed with, I would say exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
The level of understanding of the main issue here is vexing.

"Jeff can say what he wants because...I agree with him" is so self evidently flawed as a rationale, I am struggling to see a way to get through

Can you understand at all that this is not the point?

"Jeff is 100% correct" is not fact, it is opinion. Kennett has stated that he believes (I don't know if this is true) that stating his opinion has harmed the club. However, he continues to express it. Many of us do not want a president who believes his right to express political criticism outwighs his chosen duty to the club.

THIS is the point.

^^^^

To make the point clearer, if the situations were reversed, and we had a Liberal premier, and an ex-Labor premier as club president, acting in a way that was detrimental to the club in its dealings with the government, I would say exactly the same thing.

I have edited and removed a number of posts to not muddy the waters of discussion here.

All opinions on Victorian government COVID management, Australian Open management, and whether it should occur, stranded Victorians, or any other comment on government actions and issues have been removed. They really have no place here; as I said, they just muddy the waters on a thread about Jeff Kennett, and his role as Hawthorn president. This is a football thread, on the football board. I have deleted ALL political comment, regardless of its orientation.

The politics, and our opinions on it, can go elsewhere.

Political opinions will be deleted, whether they are pro-Labor policy, pro-Liberal policy, or pro Monster Raving Looney Party policy. It doesn't belong here.

Please report any political commentary in this thread to the moderators.

Last edited:
I had a look at Jeff’s Twitter. Him speaking out on important issues seems to 90% with Andrews as a target. Even mentioning the tennis people coming here before Australians in the queue is all about Andrews.

The reason for the backlog is due to the federal government and state governments. Without getting ‘political’ any casual look at Jeff’s Twitter shows he has a narrow target, and there is nothing much on AFL at all.

For mine he’s not excercising his free thinking independence, he’s just becoming another troll bot raging to bring down Andrews. In 2020 it appears the Murdoch type press hates a popular left wing politician

Ironic cos I personally see Andrews as centre right just like Jeff

Last edited:
At the end of the day we didn’t get expected funding from state govt but he called in some favours from the feds and got some unexpected funding.

So if you’re arguing that his actions are harming the HFC state level, his connections have helped at federal level.
Don't know why this can't get through - i don't need to think his actions are harming the HFC at state level, Jeff himself thinks it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff has played this perfectly. We were getting no money from the State Gov so he went and got the money from the Federal Gov, he then called out the State Gov for playing the man and we will get the State funding in the next budget. A masterclass.

Jeff has played this perfectly. We were getting no money from the State Gov so he went and got the money from the Federal Gov, he then called out the State Gov for playing the man and we will get the State funding in the next budget. A masterclass.

Of course he has, some always believe that, and believe everything he does in future will too

Aren't you supposed to use an orange font.......oh you believe it..... 🤦‍♂️

That is his bio.
His commentary is from his personal account.
If he was speaking on behalf of HFC it would be from the HFC account.
The business world understands the differences.
LOL.

He doesn’t get to have a personal account that absolves him of all responsibility as the president of the HFC.
No business worth their salt works like that, and in fact they work the other way, often identifying and coaching employees on use of social media.

That is his bio.
His commentary is from his personal account.
If he was speaking on behalf of HFC it would be from the HFC account.
The business world understands the differences.
That is absurd. He is the president of the club, not some administrative clerk working in the back office. He is always representing the hawthorn football club. If he doesn’t like that he can quit. It is the same with the players.

I live in Tassie and love it here but when it come to promotional opportunities, financial growth, and post footy careers the bigger centres offer more.

I think we will struggle to attract players and keep them leading to more of the same shitty deals GWS and GCS get which will be to the detriment of a fair and even competition, for an even longer period of time.

I hope Gutwien is huff and puff because L'ton thrives with the winter trade that Hawthorn brings. Not a great outcome for the North of the state if the Hawks pull out. Hobart will survive.

I live in Tassie and love it here but when it come to promotional opportunities, financial growth, and post footy careers the bigger centres offer more.

I think we will struggle to attract players and keep them leading to more of the same shitty deals GWS and GCS get which will be to the detriment of a fair and even competition, for an even longer period of time.

I hope Gutwien is huff and puff because L'ton thrives with the winter trade that Hawthorn brings. Not a great outcome for the North of the state if the Hawks pull out. Hobart will survive.

And you can only imagine that any Tasmanian side will be heavily stacked to Hobart. If things were fair it would be a 50/50 split of home games between Launceston and Hobart - but I imagine Launceston would get screwed. Could imagine there would be a lot in the north of the state that would prefer the current arrangement

And you can only imagine that any Tasmanian side will be heavily stacked to Hobart. If things were fair it would be a 50/50 split of home games between Launceston and Hobart - but I imagine Launceston would get screwed. Could imagine there would be a lot in the north of the state that would prefer the current arrangement

You could be spot on. 2 home grounds in the one state? Why not! When the late Jim Bacon (one of my favourite Premiers ever, despite not being a Labor stalwart) first courted AFL games he had just greenlighted the building of a world class aquatic centre in Hobart. He sold the Tassie brand everywhere and our produce/brand is still shipped worldwide on the back of that initial hard work imo. He was responsible for instilling a greater sense of pride in the state.

He also rode a wave of crap from prominent business people, politicians, parochial southerners etc when he negotiated the Hawthorn games being played in the North. To this day it was an inspired move. I lived in Lton for two years and worked in the CBD pre Hawthorn. It was a winter wasteland. Bacon governed for the entire state and AFL/Hawthorn arrangement was the tonic the North needed.

Accommodation was full. There were queues outside cafes and restaurants on game day. Pubs and clubs where at capacity after games and tourist attractions thrived in the days before and after games. This is still the case today.

I love the current balance. I have my doubts a Tassie team would work but it is an opinion, founded on having followed the game and its politics for 30 odd years.

The wind reeks havoc on that ground in Hobart making it hard to watch as a spectator

Games in Launceston are not the greatest, but at least they aren’t decided by which team managed to concede the fewest goals when kicking into the gale in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back