News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

Yes, exactly.

We have a senior ruck in Reeves who has great ability in the hitouts whilst also having significant areas of his game to work.

And we have a back up ruck in the VFL who is a level above VFL whilst also having areas of his game to work on.

That seems to me to be not a bad outcome as Meek will be striving to improve his weaknesses to get a game in the seniors and Reeves will need to keep improving to keep his spot.

That's been my whole point, it's really a two horse race for who will be out senior ruckman for the next five years and I don't think it's done and dusted yet.
On last year’s evidence it is not a two horse race, Meek is mainly backup.
The selection committee is hardly going (imho). “Who should we pick this week as first ruck”.

On last year’s evidence it is not a two horse race, Meek is mainly backup.
The selection committee is hardly going (imho). “Who should we pick this week as first ruck”.
Yes that may be the case the first couple of weeks.

But as I have said I don't think the gap between the two is that large and if Meek can improve some aspects of his game he will be putting pressure on Reeves. So this will put pressure on Reeves to improve his all round game.

All of this is conjecture on my behalf but I feel our ruck situation will be an interesting watch this year (especially now with Chol acting as backup ruck meaning we will only be going with one primary ruck most games).

People clearly see what they want to see.

Fact is Reeves is arguably the best up and coming tap ruckman in the comp when you look at his numbers and better still, when you watch the service he gives our mids.
In the last 5 games of the 2023 season Hawthorn were the clear number 1 side for hitout win %, ahead of sides with much more experienced rucks.

Another season working on his connection with Newk, Worpel, Day and Nash and we’re sure to see benefits.
“Arguably the best up and coming” and “we are sure to see benefits”.

I guess everyone has their own views and leanings.

The criticisms on Reeves and Meek are both valid.

Neither are standouts, but you don’t need a standout ruckman to move up the ladder from 16th.

To get right up there though….i think we need more than what we have at present.

Our ruck division is ordinary at best.

Hopefully that will improve - as it needs to get better if we are to become competitive at the top of the ladder again.

Last year Mitch said himself when asked that there wasnt much seperating Noodle & Meek, albeit both had different strengths. Id say since, Ned has put a little extra distance between the pair but it isnt insurmountable & Meek should be pushing hard would be his message.

I think thats fair

It may sound odd but yes I think that Meek, who has indeed shown less than Reeves to date, has a more rounded game than Reeves.

And yes I personally favour rucks who can contribute around the ground instead of purely winning Ruck contests.

The combo isn't going to happen IMO, both Meek and Reeves are pure rucks. They don't have the capacity to be dual position players like Hale or Big Boy.

Once again I agree that come round 1 Reeves will be picked but I don't think it's a fait accompli that he will be our number 1 Ruck all year IF he doesn't improve his around the ground work and IF Meek can make some material gains in his tap work and aggression.
Happy to agree to disagree on this one .

Im taking the tall tap ruck everyday off the week with our midfield capabilities now.
Meek can be a handy backup .

Guess we can all revisit this in 12 months 😆

Happy to agree to disagree on this one .

Im taking the tall tap ruck everyday off the week with our midfield capabilities now.
Meek can be a handy backup .

Guess we can all revisit this in 12 months 😆
Ryder didn't get a heap of it but used to influence games through his ruckwork and taps if your looking at a similar player. He played in a good PA side so you don't necessarily need a Gawn/ English style of ruck to be successful.

Ryder didn't get a heap of it but used to influence games through his ruckwork and taps if your looking at a similar player. He played in a good PA side so you don't necessarily need a Gawn/ English style of ruck to be successful.

Ryder was great in the air, could play multiple roles around the ground, and had a level of athleticism that is extremely rare for a ruckman. None of these things can be said about Reeves.

Last edited:
Ryder was great in the air, could play multiple roles around the ground, and had a level of athleticism that is extremely rare for a ruckman. None of things can be said about Reeves.
Not later in his career. He put on a heap of size and was mainly a tap ruck with brief stints forward. Last 5 years of his career at least. Reeves doesn't need to be much bigger as he has his height. All about working on that forward craft.

Ryder was great in the air, could play multiple roles around the ground, and had a level of athleticism that is extremely rare for a ruckman. None of things can be said about Reeves.
Agreed. If you're comparing someone with Ryder, it's Chol (& hopefully Ramsden). Nothing like Reeves.

Ryder was great in the air, could play multiple roles around the ground, and had a level of athleticism that is extremely rare for a ruckman. None of things can be said about Reeves
Don’t see any similarities between Reeves and Ryder.

In isolation Reeves seems to have the edge over Meek at present, but the addition of Chol could make it interesting. I think Meek + Chol could prove better than Reeves + Chol.

In isolation Reeves seems to have the edge over Meek at present, but the addition of Chol could make it interesting. I think Meek + Chol could prove better than Reeves + Chol.
What's this based on?

What's this based on?
Just a hunch but I think the big frame of Meek compliments the athleticism style of Chol. Plus I think meek has more upside around the ground than Reeves, whereas reeves seems to struggle to get involved when another ruckman plays. On the other hand, If Reeves can improve his marking around the ground it would be a game changer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a hunch but I think the big frame of Meek compliments the athleticism style of Chol. Plus I think meek has more upside around the ground than Reeves, whereas reeves seems to struggle to get involved when another ruckman plays. On the other hand, If Reeves can improve his marking around the ground it would be a game changer.
It just wouldn't though. Reeves averages 1.5 marks per game. McEvoy was lauded for his 'around the ground' game - he averaged 2.1 marks.

Taking 1x extra mark per game (make it 2x if you want) simply won't change any games. Realistically, we'd be far better off if Reeves added 2x spoils per game.

What WILL change games is adding hitouts to advantage or nullifying those from opposition Ruckmen.

This was the last time i went to footy game with my parents and sister. My mum is a Melbourne supporter. She refused to come to the game unless we sat with Melbourne section of supporters.

I sat there the whole game with Melbourne supporters bagging out piggy. How he was old. Hope he would play out the game and other assorted bullshit. It was an exciting game with the perfect finish and win and langers after the game it was highly emotional game. My sister had bought me a Hawthorn winter jacket a couple of weeks earlier. I still wear that jacket to every box hill and hawthorn game. It reminds me how close we came to losing our great club. I will never forget that game at Waverley
Funnily enough, we’re moving at moment and I came across this gem in my cupboards a few days ago…

Attachments

• 2EBB38A9-5CF9-4392-AACA-D47EA44B12D1.jpeg
    2EBB38A9-5CF9-4392-AACA-D47EA44B12D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
From memory Rehn had had a couple of knee recos by the time he got to the Hawks but was still able to use his experience and technique to perform at an adequate level in spite of his diminished athleticism.
At Adelaide he was a star

Sorry for the late quote - ironically we traded pick 12 to Adelaide for Rehn, who ontraded it to Port for Matthew Bode. Port then took Shaun Burgoyne with pick 12. Funny how it all worked out in the ended

It just wouldn't though. Reeves averages 1.5 marks per game. McEvoy was lauded for his 'around the ground' game - he averaged 2.1 marks.

Taking 1x extra mark per game (make it 2x if you want) simply won't change any games. Realistically, we'd be far better off if Reeves added 2x spoils per game.

What WILL change games is adding hitouts to advantage or nullifying those from opposition Ruckmen.

That's not right, Big Boy averaged 4.2 marks per game across his entire career. He was regularly clunking bail-out kicks and sitting in the hole. He was an elite around the ground ruckman.

Not sure what stats you were looking up, most likely his last year with us? Seems he averaged 2.1 the year he retired.

Last edited:
Unless there's been some deleted posts, what vitriol are you talking about?
Maybe bad choice of word but there’s definitely a come to Reeves defence set of posters on here which is fine that’s their opinion. In short Reeves has excellent tap work which is a great start for a ruckman, hard to argue he offers anything else significant yet. Hope he develops and that changes. Like having Meek and Ramsden in the wings as pressure on him especially given how our ruck stocks looked not long ago. Figure they are non controversial points we could all agree on?

Funnily enough, we’re moving at moment and I came across this gem in my cupboards a few days ago…
At the meeting where Don pulled apart the 'proposed' jumper one of my mates fathers grabbed one of the yellow strips he pulled off .

Pretty sure they still have it somewhere

Maybe bad choice of word but there’s definitely a come to Reeves defence set of posters on here which is fine that’s their opinion. In short Reeves has excellent tap work which is a great start for a ruckman, hard to argue he offers anything else significant yet. Hope he develops and that changes. Like having Meek and Ramsden in the wings as pressure on him especially given how our ruck stocks looked not long ago. Figure they are non controversial points we could all agree on?
Also is and has been anti Reeves sentiment here too ( if we put it that way ) Im not sure if its due to who his father is, maybe a feel thats how he got a list spot.

There seems a lot of heavy focus on our rucks . Seems a lot if over analyzing of it when teams regularly win flags or are successful with AFL average rucks .

As another poster pointed out, big boy averaged more like 4 per game. I would say that aspect of his game had a huge impact. If reeves could do that, in addition to his already strong tap work game, we’d have a top 5 ruckman. Just needs more strings to his bow (like all young ruckman).

That's not right, Big Boy averaged 4.2 marks per game across his entire career. He was regularly clunking bail-out kicks and sitting in the hole. He was an elite around the ground ruckman.

Not sure what stats you were looking up, most likely his last year with us? Seems he averaged 2.1 the year he retired.
Thanks for correction.
Was trying for career stats but likely didn't set parameters correctly

Also is and has been anti Reeves sentiment here too ( if we put it that way ) Im not sure if its due to who his father is, maybe a feel thats how he got a list spot.

There seems a lot of heavy focus on our rucks . Seems a lot if over analyzing of it when teams regularly win flags or are successful with AFL average rucks .
OK so can we agree we all collectively hate all our rucks.🤣🤣🤣

“Arguably the best up and coming” and “we are sure to see benefits”.

I guess everyone has their own views and leanings.

The criticisms on Reeves and Meek are both valid.

Neither are standouts, but you don’t need a standout ruckman to move up the ladder from 16th.

To get right up there though….i think we need more than what we have at present.

Our ruck division is ordinary at best.

Hopefully that will improve - as it needs to get better if we are to become competitive at the top of the ladder again.
Sorry, but we don’t sit top 3 for hitout wins and 6th for hits to advantage if our ruck division is so ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back