News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

From what I can see if Ned can be so damaging in the ruck if he just negates his opponent round the ground it’s a win.
Which is what he did last year both gawn and the bulldogs ruck didnt have their usual influence around the ground

“Arguably the best up and coming” and “we are sure to see benefits”.

I guess everyone has their own views and leanings.

The criticisms on Reeves and Meek are both valid.

Neither are standouts, but you don’t need a standout ruckman to move up the ladder from 16th.

To get right up there though….i think we need more than what we have at present.

Our ruck division is ordinary at best.

Hopefully that will improve - as it needs to get better if we are to become competitive at the top of the ladder again.

I think we need Reeves performing at the level he did in the last four weeks for at least 15 games to move considerably up the ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but we don’t sit top 3 for hitout wins and 6th for hits to advantage if our ruck division is so ordinary.
Reeves wins taps primarily because he is extremely tall and uses his height well.

The fact the 3rd best for taps won

……drops down to 6th best for hits to advantage….

…..shows that (even in this area of strength) there’s clear RFI.

Add to that Reeves’ lack of around the ground involvement….and both Meek and Reeves’ inability to take marks around the ground or up forward…..and that’s an ordinary ruck division at the moment.

Most of us here don’t simply point to hit out stats in determining how two players in our 23 have played.

I dare say neither do the coaching staff.

It’s also to be expected that our ruckmen could take a few marks, get involved in offensive ball movement and be a decent target either for bail out kicks from our backline or when resting up forward.

Given you don’t seem to place much value on the above, there’s no point in arguing the toss. 👍

Reeves wins taps primarily because he is extremely tall and uses his height well.

The fact the 3rd best for taps won

Add to that Reeves’ lack of around the ground involvement….and both Meek and Reeves’ inability to take marks around the ground or up forward…..and that’s an ordinary ruck division at the moment.

Most of us here don’t simply point to hit out stats in determining how two players in our 23 have played.

It’s also to be expected that our ruckmen could take a few marks, get involved in offensive ball movement and be a decent target either for bail out kicks from our backline or when resting up forward.

Given you don’t seem to place much value on the above, there’s no point in arguing the toss. 👍
So if we just ignore the actual output of our tap ruckman at…err...winning the tap…he’s an ordinary ruckman. Sure.

The fact the 3rd best for taps won is well

I completely agree that Reeves has to contribute to more than hitouts if he is going to be a really valuable ruckman. However he has just 38 games under his belt so a little patience is warranted. One stat from last season that has not received much comment but that I am sure the coaches will be all over is that his tackle count is up. He is not in the rarified air of Tim English but he is well ahead of Gawn.

So if we just ignore the actual output of our tap ruckman at…err...winning the tap…he’s an ordinary ruckman. Sure.
No. I never said that. He’s very good at tap rucking.

He’s very poor at getting involved anywhere else on the ground.

…and Meek isn’t better than him.

No - I never said Reeves was an ordinary ruckman.

Yes - as I said earlier, we have an ordinary ruck division.

Why do you keep thinking it’s all about Ned?

Ned is our number 1 ruck. It’s clear to anyone who was paying attention in 2023 and watched Meek get dropped multiple times. That’s why it’s all about Ned.

Someone who is “very poor” around the ground doesn’t get the better of English. He’s just got to find consistency, which is almost always true of anyone who’s played less than 50 games.

The argument that Ned is not our number 1 ruck is as stupid as the suggestion that he’s not one of the best up and coming rucks in the comp, because the numbers show this to be absolutely true.

🤦‍♂️

Ned is our number 1 ruck. It’s clear to anyone who was paying attention in 2023 and watched Meek get dropped multiple times. That’s why it’s all about Ned.

Someone who is “very poor” around the ground doesn’t get the better of English. He’s just got to find consistency, which is almost always true of anyone who’s played less than 50 games.

The argument that Ned is not our number 1 ruck is as stupid as the suggestion that he’s not one of the best up and coming rucks in the comp, because the numbers show this to be absolutely true.
Yeah, but our ’ruck division’?

So by your logic, we only have one ruckman on the list…..and Meek, Ramsden, maybe Chol and Tucker are irrelevant then. 👍

It lives and dies with Ned.

Who is very good at tapping it, but averages 8 disposals / game and 1 goal / month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So by your logic, we only have one ruckman on the list…..and Meek, Ramsden, maybe Chol and Tucker are irrelevant then. 👍

Who is very good at tapping it, but averages 8 disposals / game and 1 goal / month.
No, but he is the figurehead of our ruck division, as he's the Number 1 ruck.

No, but he is the figurehead of our ruck division, as he's the Number 1 ruck.
I am amused by this 'let's pot Reeves' argument.

So, are the detractors saying that if Reeves does not improve in marks, kicks, goals etc, then he will not be selected? To be replaced by who? FFS, he gives silver service to our mids and has the capacity to quieten all the top rucks. Meek, Ramma and Tucker have a long way to go before they get a gig over Ned.

School holidays. Gotta love 'em.

🤦‍♂️

So, are the detractors saying that if Reeves does not improve in marks, kicks, goals etc, then he will not be selected? To be replaced by who? FFS, he gives silver service to our mids and has the capacity to quieten all the top rucks. Meek, Ramma and Tucker have a long way to go before they get a gig over Ned.

The negativity of some posters is weird.

Seems like pretty much everyone has Reeves as the number 1 ruck but notes that he needs to continue to improve around the ground or could be overtaken by Meek who isn’t far behind him currently. The Reeves ‘defenders’ seem to be far more aggressive than anything I’ve seen from other posters, unless maybe some posts have been deleted?

Regardless his ability, Reeves is clearly divisive when it comes to fans - maybe even more so than Ginni & his chronic drug problem.

Might be better if we f*** them both off & get back to hating Frost & trading Breust.

Last edited:
Regardless his ability, Reeves is clearly divisive when it comes to fans - maybe even more so than Ginni & his chronic drug problem.

Might be better if we f*** them both off & get back to hating Frost & trading Bruest.

Quick before Grumbleguts gets ya

Edit: looks like you were decisive and got before me

Last edited:
Seems like pretty much everyone has Reeves as the number 1 ruck but notes that he needs to continue to improve around the ground or could be overtaken by Meek who isn’t far behind him currently. The Reeves ‘defenders’ seem to be far more aggressive than anything I’ve seen from other posters, unless maybe some posts have been deleted?
At last count 5 other Clubs, this trade year, were keen on Meek. Including multiple second round offers. Our senior coach instructed List Management to knock all overtures back. He believes in him. As he does in Reeves, as eloquently stated by SYL.

Last edited:
So shouldn't the discussion be around Meek needing to improve in certain areas, particularly at stoppages, if he wishes to overtake Reeves?

So again, just ignore how bloody good his weapon is….
I haven’t. I already said he’s a very good tap ruckman.

I get it, you’re absolutely in love with his weapon.

Good on you.

Nothing wrong with that.

I simply would like him to improve on his weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back