Prediction Jhye Clark 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Dw mate, I'm usually the one who fights the fight - so I'm no stranger to it, haha. Been defending Bruhn for a year since we thought about trading him in. Been defending Jhye for a year over Phillipou and Ginbey since it was apparent we were going to select him.

I honestly think we hang way too much s**t on our own sometimes on here. Nothing wrong with critique, but it always seems to be a 'grass is greener ' attitude with some about our players - despite not having the same access to high end talent...but yet being the most successful team of the modern era.

We can't change who our players are, they're at our club and we love our club - so we should love our players and back them and the club in. 16 years of relative success should allow us to trust in those that are much more qualified to judge than we are.
I accept a lot of what you are saying here, and you are right, based on the performance of the club we should back them in....
It's just a bit harder with drafted players if you follow them and form an opinion pre-draft that isn't in line with the club. I back the club and support the players but when following this draft I was pretty keen on phillipou and ginbey for our pick. I didn't dislike Clark and thought he'd make an AFL footballer but I thought Phillipou in particular could be elite (I accepted Ginbey could be a flight risk).
So going forward, I try to back the club but when the decision making contradicts your own (even though I'm just a flog on big footy) it makes it harder to accept without questioning.
Same goes for last year, I know Sanders didn't make our pick but I would've traded hard to get him, that's how highly I rated him. Then once that shipped sailed, I thought Curtin looked elite. Again I know he went before our pick but Adelaide traded up and we could've too. If Curtin ends up being a jet, it's hard as supporter to dismiss your own thinking and not question the clubs actions.
Outdated thinking now but I always hated that we took Thurlow over Grundy, and it was hard to accept without questioning.
On the flipside I really wanted to take Zac Taylor instead of knevitt in 2021, and Taylor is yet to fire a shot, and instead of taking Conway (who I'm now very excited about) I would've traded up like Sydney to take Sheldrick.
Again, I'm just a flog on big footy and not saying I've got any idea but if you do form an opinion about a player you think we should draft (or not) and then the player you thought starts looking handy, it very hard to dismiss your own thinking.

I accept a lot of what you are saying here, and you are right, based on the performance of the club we should back them in....
It's just a bit harder with drafted players if you follow them and form an opinion pre-draft that isn't in line with the club. I back the club and support the players but when following this draft I was pretty keen on phillipou and ginbey for our pick. I didn't dislike Clark and thought he'd make an AFL footballer but I thought Phillipou in particular could be elite (I accepted Ginbey could be a flight risk).
So going forward, I try to back the club but when the decision making contradicts your own (even though I'm just a flog on big footy) it makes it harder to accept without questioning.
Same goes for last year, I know Sanders didn't make our pick but I would've traded hard to get him, that's how highly I rated him. Then once that shipped sailed, I thought Curtin looked elite. Again I know he went before our pick but Adelaide traded up and we could've too. If Curtin ends up being a jet, it's hard as supporter to dismiss your own thinking and not question the clubs actions.
Outdated thinking now but I always hated that we took Thurlow over Grundy, and it was hard to accept without questioning.
On the flipside I really wanted to take Zac Taylor instead of knevitt in 2021, and Taylor is yet to fire a shot, and instead of taking Conway (who I'm now very excited about) I would've traded up like Sydney to take Sheldrick.
Again, I'm just a flog on big footy and not saying I've got any idea but if you do form an opinion about a player you think we should draft (or not) and then the player you thought starts looking handy, it very hard to dismiss your own thinking.
Great write up, but you're aware you're talking to a dead account, right?

McKenzie should be a solid player.
Clark should be a solid player.

I just hope Ginbey doesn’t turn out to be a real star.

Anyway Clark still has plenty of time to develop.

He is two years behind Bruhn/Holmes and they haven’t really hit their straps yet.

Hoping Clark can fast track it but just looking at his body size and the way he plays, I think he is still a while away from being a difference maker.

He is probably going to be a real raging bull type in the middle (Viney style)… but at his size, he can’t do that right now.
You repeatedly bring up Ginbeys name whenever Clark is mentioned, what makes you think Wells and con had any interest in him at all?

Dw mate, I'm usually the one who fights the fight - so I'm no stranger to it, haha. Been defending Bruhn for a year since we thought about trading him in. Been defending Jhye for a year over Phillipou and Ginbey since it was apparent we were going to select him.

I honestly think we hang way too much s**t on our own sometimes on here. Nothing wrong with critique, but it always seems to be a 'grass is greener ' attitude with some about our players - despite not having the same access to high end talent...but yet being the most successful team of the modern era.

We can't change who our players are, they're at our club and we love our club - so we should love our players and back them and the club in. 16 years of relative success should allow us to trust in those that are much more qualified to judge than we are.
And if you agree with my post above you won't respond.

You repeatedly bring up Ginbeys name whenever Clark is mentioned, what makes you think Wells and con had any interest in him at all?
There is no doubt he was an option for us.

From memory we flew out to see him days before the draft (could be a bluffing tactic)… He was one of an obvious handful that were going to be around our selection, he dominated draft camp, won WA’s best player award and I just preferred us to take a bigger bodied mid over Clark.

We didn’t and hopefully in time Clark (the local lad) can get the job done.

I think he should have a decent career at minimum.

Bruhn has played 49 games I believe and Clark has played 1 quarter… Id like to think that Clark with 49 games under his belt would be ahead of what Bruhn is right now… and people love the way Bruhn is tracking so I do think Clark should be at least fine.

I’m looking forward to seeing him develop and hopefully go from strength to strength.

McKenzie should be a solid player.
Clark should be a solid player.

I just hope Ginbey doesn’t turn out to be a real star.

Anyway Clark still has plenty of time to develop.

He is two years behind Bruhn/Holmes and they haven’t really hit their straps yet.

Hoping Clark can fast track it but just looking at his body size and the way he plays, I think he is still a while away from being a difference maker.

He is probably going to be a real raging bull type in the middle (Viney style)… but at his size, he can’t do that right now.
His size worries me. Dunno how he is considered a bull?
Does not seem to hv added much bulk or definition.
Does he hv enough speed to compensate or solely relying on focus, will and footy smarts. Is that enough?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Does he hv enough speed to compensate or solely relying on focus, will and footy smarts. Is that enough?
That is the question at the moment I ask myself.

Rhys Mathieson had a real dip in tight but never really made it.

Viney and Butters had smaller frames but have the determination and toughness to mark it.

Butters has added strings to his bow that I didn’t think he had early days.

This is the hope I have for Jhye.

Just going on size and attributes at this time doesn’t fill me with confidence… but he has something about him, something you can’t teach.

Time will tell how far it takes him.

Hopefully it’s a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Size of the fight in the dog

That is the question at the moment I ask myself.

Rhys Mathieson had a real dip in tight but never really made it.

Viney and Butters had smaller frames but have the determination and toughness to mark it.

Butters has added strings to his bow that I didn’t think he had early days.

This is the hope I have for Jhye.

Just going on size and attributes at this time doesn’t fill me with confidence… but he has something about him, something you can’t teach.

Time will tell how far it takes him.

Hopefully it’s a long way.
Not sure why size is our biggest worry when we are talking about a midfielder. His spread is elite, tackling elite, speed similar to Guthrie. Not that Brownlows are the most accurate judgement, but Neale is 178, Mitchell and Swan both moved like wombats, Priddis was a plodder at WAFL before he became an elite midfielder and more Collingwood six footers have won the medal than any other size profile.

Ginbey had a lot more exposure to senior footy last year because he plays for a terrible, terrible football team. He's going to be a very good player, but if you get overly picky with players around the same position in the draft, you will lose your mind. Also, it wasn't you but why is someone mentioning McKenzie in this discussion? He went number 7.

Also Rhys Mathieson is not a relevant comparison - he was never an elite prospect, never will be. The media loved him because he was deluded by his ability and it probably sums up why he wants to go into the police force, but the guy was a mediocre player at best.

Not sure why size is our biggest worry when we are talking about a midfielder. His spread is elite, tackling elite, speed similar to Guthrie. Not that Brownlows are the most accurate judgement, but Neale is 178, Mitchell and Swan both moved like wombats, Priddis was a plodder at WAFL before he became an elite midfielder and more Collingwood six footers have won the medal than any other size profile.

Ginbey had a lot more exposure to senior footy last year because he plays for a terrible, terrible football team. He's going to be a very good player, but if you get overly picky with players around the same position in the draft, you will lose your mind. Also, it wasn't you but why is someone mentioning McKenzie in this discussion? He went number 7.

Also Rhys Mathieson is not a relevant comparison - he was never an elite prospect, never will be. The media loved him because he was deluded by his ability and it probably sums up why he wants to go into the police force, but the guy was a mediocre player at best.
McKenzie was mentioned in the Thorpe/Selwood reference

Yeah, you'd think he's Nick Watson the way some are acting.

He's what? 1 or 2 cm off two of the greatest midfielders of our club - and the game as a whole - in the modern era? (Ablett, Selwood)

Sure, in a perfect world everyone would be 6'6, athletic as Lebron James, and be able to run like the wind....but we don't live in that world.

Luckily, there isn't a single club that does, and if Jhye doesn't make it, I doubt it's going to be to do with his size.

Once again though, this is comparing apples and oranges - McKenzie playing for a bottom four side, Clark drafted to the reigning premiers (albeit we had a poor season). Clark has to break into a good midfield, McKenzie breaks into an objectively ordinary side. McKenzie plays 14 games, six of those who gathers 15+ and doesn't have a mindblowing game akin to a Daicos or Selwood in their first season, looks overawed on Easter Monday and his two games of 20+ are against the only sides that finished below his team.

Clark plays 25% of one game, has five tackles and six possessions and looks right at home in front of a bumper MCG crowd against the Tiges. Definitely starts the week after but hurts his foot.

Where is the 'a lot more' in all of this?

Pls.
Way to early to call but based on everything so far, Mckenzie looks a lot more impressive…

Once again though, this is comparing apples and oranges - McKenzie playing for a bottom four side, Clark drafted to the reigning premiers (albeit we had a poor season). Clark has to break into a good midfield, McKenzie breaks into an objectively ordinary side. McKenzie plays 14 games, six of those who gathers 15+ and doesn't have a mindblowing game akin to a Daicos or Selwood in their first season, looks overawed on Easter Monday and his two games of 20+ are against the only sides that finished below his team.

Clark plays 25% of one game, has five tackles and six possessions and looks right at home in front of a bumper MCG crowd against the Tiges. Definitely starts the week after but hurts his foot.

Pls.
We think he's so good that we invested pick 8 on him.
He gets the ball.
Guthrie isn't playing.
A half-decent effort v Essendon makes him pretty good odds for Round 1.

We think he's so good that we invested pick 8 on him.
He gets the ball.
Guthrie isn't playing.
A half-decent effort v Essendon makes him pretty good odds for Round 1.
Clark has missed a lot of footy and will need time to find his mojo , does seem to find it though and looks like a natural footballer .

Interesting that we were allegedly into Cooper Simpson but Freo traded up to get him ahead of us at pick 35.
Has been training very well and was the standout in their practice v WC yesterday. 182cm forward/mid who kicked 2 and got a lot of quality possession either forward or as a mid.
Let’s hope Mannagh can do that for us.

Clark has missed a lot of footy and will need time to find his mojo , does seem to find it though and looks like a natural footballer .

Interesting that we were allegedly into Cooper Simpson but Freo traded up to get him ahead of us at pick 35.
Has been training very well and was the standout in their practice v WC yesterday. 182cm forward/mid who kicked 2 and got a lot of quality possession either forward or as a mid.
Let’s hope Mannagh can do that for us.
I've got a feeling we won't be seeing anymore Coopers at Geelong for a while.

Pls.
Probably from his VFL performances. The best he looked was in that one QTR of AFL and he looked great, was very disappointing that he was injured for the rest of the year. Im looking forward to see more of him at AFL standard this year.
I take your point about McKenzie being in a bottom 4 side, it's just that Clarks VFL performances weren't much good either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back