JLT 2 2018: GWS v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd have moved Finlayson off Buddy a long time ago if this was for points. Definitely a learning assignment there, against the best forward in the comp.

If we were playing for points TOJ wouldn’t be playing on him in the first place.

I thought his first half was good, had a horrible ten minutes at the opening of the second half and his confidence was shot for the rest of the game. Hopefully he’ll learn from it.

Swans were too strong in the middle and also the free kicks didn't help so whether that was the umpiring or just some poor decision making by players under pressure
TOJ will learn from the game and hopefully some time to work on his game and develop further at training and maybe after a few rounds in the NEAFL he could push for a spot
Reid playing back was a surprise as he can play the defensive forward role but
Don't think TT or MDB were playing where I thought they would in the forward 50 making the team structure different in that part of the ground
Langdon has done enough I think for a round 1 spot but it would be better for another option
Where was Deledio playing? I didn't notice him much at all so hopefully he was only warming up for rd 1 and taking it easy

I'm probably the exception on here but despite the free kick count the umpiring didn't feel as egregious as it usually does. There were a couple of high spoils that should've been called but were understandably missed, but then we also got away with a punch to the jaw in a spoil. Instead it just felt like we were sloppier, especially when it came to one on one wrestling - I was prepared to be upset about Davis holding Buddy when it looked to be the reverse, but the replay showed Davis initiating it, and similarly with Cameron's high fend - I thought it could go each way as he also had high contact on him, but again replay showed Jezza in there first. The free kick count felt more reflective of how we played last night and how the Swans played rather than shitty umpiring.

I was impressed with Langdon in the 3rd quarter but didn't really spot him much in the 4th. The umpires did miss a few obvious frees but Sydney would have still won the free kick count (maybe not the game: considering where some of those would have been given on the ground) and it was more that inaccurate kicking ultimately cost them.

In the end, it's a pre-season game. Hopefully Leon & his coaching team got most of what they wanted out of it. We saw Jezza and Toby shake out some cobwebs, the mid group (Cal, Josh, Cogs, Dyl) were all solid, but hopefully have another gear to step up. Lachie has been a revelation playing off half back - but this game really showed how much we miss the end-to-end two-way running that he and Sculls bring to the team. Hopefully, Tom is ready to go for round 1, but we probably need to tweak the gameplan to cover for Lachie dropping back. On the down side, Lids is still looking pretty rusty, and Griff seems shot given the difficulty in getting him on the park. (I'm hoping this year will be his last, unless he either comes good or takes a really cheap contract to repay some of the faith.) Team wise, we still have some of those pre-existing problems, in particular, kicking accuracy and tackling pressure (especially in the F50), so they still need to work on those areas. In contrast to last year, though, the Swans appear to be primed to sprint out of the blocks, so to go with them (both teams had periods where they got on top) I think keeps us up around their level. That's probably OK at this stage of the season, but certainly we need to improve throughout the season if we want to give the premiership a decent shake.

I think this is hurting us, the sheer number of uncontested possessions he gets via his running.

Whitfield down back compounds the issue, though I like his work.
Whitfield down back is a bit of a revelation !! He could become one on the great defenders in time

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Final free kick count
Swans 27
GWS 11

Even Dunstall was getting frustrated in the box and when Riewoldt is calling the umpires out you know you’re being screwed by the maggots.

That said.... 26 scoring shots to 22:(
I thought Reiwoldt did quite well in the commentry box. I remember last year when Pav started in there it was "um" and "ah" a lot of the time between words. Nick seemed quite natural.

The big test is when he calls a Saints game to be neutral.

This is something Dunstall and Brereton have always done well and Mark Riccuto fails at miserably :)

We need to improve 10% from the last 2 years efforts and the obvious areas we can improve, we still seem to be lagging behind in. I thought it was frustrating to see how easy Sydney moved the ball for long periods. It's only preseason but hopefully the defensive pressure improves when the real stuff starts.

I thought Reiwoldt did quite well in the commentry box. I remember last year when Pav started in there it was "um" and "ah" a lot of the time between words. Nick seemed quite natural.

The big test is when he calls a Saints game to be neutral.

This is something Dunstall and Brereton have always done well and Mark Riccuto fails at miserably :)

I'm personally happy for him to have a little bias :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back