Game Day JLT Pre Season rnd 2 Port v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddy @ 4:02 - set shot, 45 degree angle.

Eddy @ 8:11 - set shot, 45 degree angle.

There's another two that Eddy missed - one went out of the full instead of scoring but that was a difficult shot and another where he played on in the pocket.
Eddy is a great kick for goal - perhaps was put off by not seeing any cars parked around the oval.

We still seem to battle hard for each goal, I don't think we had one clean entry (and it was generally the same at family day) against the Saints.
I am thinking that opposition teams now just clutter our forward line knowing they can rebound out to their forwards who have space because we press so high, which clutters our forward line etc. i am not the coach, but I tend to agree that we need to either have more players lead to space or if people like Dixon do have three players hanging off them, then bring it down to the advantage of our smalls.

Like many, i was expecting us to come out breathing fire and "shake the s**t out of the competition".
Didn't happen for whatever reason.
Maybe Ken is going to have a slow but consistent buildup leading into Round 1?
Maybe the coaches tried a dozen different things against opposition (as opposed to each other) for 15 minutes at a time, and 3 things worked well and the others did not?
Was Jonas there to negate only, not rebound or pick up possessions? If so, then his low disposal tally is not of any real significance.

As long as each of the players who will be playing in R1 all have a full, fair dinkum crack in "their" last trial game - be that against the Tiggers or the Hawks, then i will be ok with that.

Good points:
1. Boak tried hard and looks fit. Still fumbles under pressure and body positioning incorrect at time, which makes me think he would be better suited to the first guy in the chain that gets the ball from Ollie, Robbie, Snelling, SPP, Atley, etc as he has been battered around for 10 odd years now and is a little worn down from being the in and under guy any more
2. Jacko was ok up forward - will likely get more ruck time with Lobbe in the SNAFL
3. Ollie was good - needs to tidy his shabby disposals up
4. Hombsch - welcome back Jack :)
5. Polec good enough in spurts
6. Bonner - really good. Takes the game on. Maybe we can't play he and Jasper on the field at the same time, but he looks like a real good 'un there (in his 2nd game only at senior level)
7. Atley, SPP Huston and Johnson showed glimpses - they looked comfortable at that level, which is a good thing to have, going forward
8. Eddy appears to be a natural leading forward. Runs to good spots. Must use him more though, and not ignore his leads
9. Lobbe - negated the Saints rucks, so still has something to offer, even if only as back up in an emergency. Tried his best which I applaud him for
10. No injuries

Sore points:
1. Ryder underdone - will he right for 120 minutes v Swans?
2. Dropped uncontested marks, kicking disposal clangers, missed goals - are they seriously saying they have been working on these failings over summer, FFS? :(:(:(
3. Dixon - was he really suffering gastro (Chuck had the "chucks") along with others? I see him better as a CHF roaming around tbh. It is too easy to block his leads or double team him by dropping one or two blokes back. So give him room to move and use his natural athleticism. Hoff and the resting rucks can patrol the goal square ;)
4. Not enough two way running once we lost possession - just laziness :thumbsdown:
5. Hammer quite frankly was never ever going to be a defender's bootlace. Loses his opponent too much. Just not instinctive in his reading of the game. We have better options for a HBF - Broadbent, DBJ, Impey, Bonner, even Huston. HH is purely and simply either a midfielder ........ or trade bait. Nothing in between suits his skill set
6. Krak reported :mad:

I watched the game again in its entirety yesterday, and it didn't change my opinion that the first qtr was as bad as we have ever played.

I thought when watching the game live that a better co-ordinated player than TJ ( eg Hombsch ), could have spoiled both those marks taken by his opponent that resulted in goals in the first half of the first qtr, and I saw nothing on the replay to change that opinion.
In the first mark the aint's bloke juggled the ball at least 3 times, it was at times 20 plus cm clear of his hands and should have been punched away, in the other TJ clearly misread the flight of the ball.
Anyway enough of that ;), except to say Jonas is obviously one of Kenny's favourite players, he has always been extremely reluctant to drop him, so hopefully with a solid preseason he can get back to his 2014 form.

Port were definitely the better side for most of the last 3 qtrs, and with better goal kicking should have won.

That doesn't change the fact though that it was an extremely ordinary game, `peppered' :rolleyes: with errors, and not a lot of clean ball movement, and as much as it pains me to say this, the tiggers v crers game last night was of a much higher standard.

As if that matters. The Saints had absolute control for about a quarter and a half and then pulled star players out. If it was an H&A game Stevens and Riewoldt would have stayed on. Our inability to take advantage of that was just the sort of sideshow poor teams put on.
That argument works both ways though.

Ryder and no Gray.

Ryder and no Gray.

Westhoff played 1% more time on ground than Reiwoldt and had more possessions and kicked a goal. But we don't rate his performance because he plays for us.

Westhoff played 1% more time on ground than Reiwoldt and had more possessions and kicked a goal. But we don't rate his performance because he plays for us.
Yeah I must admit besides the dropped mark I thought he was good.

The only person in a game like this I was disappointed with was Hartlett.

Dixon still coming off that injury so he gets a free pass.

Nicely done.
Now put that stat sheet on the ground nice and slowly, then back away with your hands where I can see them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon desperately needs to wear a glove - drops far to (sic) many marks. Shouldn't be given a choice either.
Didn't need it in the second half of the Family Day. Or plenty of other games with us or Gold Coast. Would get just as much value being blessed by Father O'Flaherty at the start of each quarter.

Ryder and no Gray.
The dynamic if we had had Robbie Gray and they hadn't had Jack Stevens was not going to change to us with total 1st quarter domination and them being witches' hats. To a man they seemed hot, totally switched on.

Last edited:
The dynamic if we had Had Robbie Gray and they hadn't had Jack Stevens was not going to change to us with total 1st quarter domination and them being witches' hats. To a man they seemed hot, totally switched on.
Yeah won't disagree with you at all re the first qtr, but the point was we smashed them after qtr time and it was a domination in the 2nd half. The scoreboard flattered them. It wasnt really our stars doing it either but rather our youngsters.

Yeah I must admit besides the dropped mark I thought he was good.

Yeah, I thought that apart from that dropped mark and his at times untidy disposal, particularly the one in the first qtr when Wingard had slipped his man, and Westy tonked the ball well over his head and straight to the trailing aint's defender, that he was a long way from Port's worst.

what infuriates me about westhoff is that he does the hard things well but the easy things he stuffs up, he can be a very good kick at times but seems to muck up the easy 20m pass

what infuriates me about westhoff is that he does the hard things well but the easy things he stuffs up, he can be a very good kick at times but seems to muck up the easy 20m pass
He's been like that since 2007. Always been better when he doesn't think.. like that goal he kicked out his ass in the 2013 semi final Vs Geelong. Needs a psychologist

one of our main concerns for some time is our inability to kick scores and to apply scoreboard pressure when we have the chances

also the structure of the team, i dont know if its just bad decision making or if the game plan isnt reinforced enough but compared to other teams we dont follow a style of play enough, the positives of a good style of play is that you can cover your weaknesses by playing a particular method

personally i think we dont carry the ball enough, we too often just handball it off instead of carrying the ball to create space and also draw in the tackler to free the space for someone else

also i think we dont play as a team enough, particularly the midfield with 1 percentres, running in waves, shepherds etc

I'm thinking we just need to blow off a few more cobwebs over the next couple of weeks, then look out round 1.

We'll be right.

Don't be bringing that talk in here.

Yeah, I thought that apart from that dropped mark and his at times untidy disposal, particularly the one in the first qtr when Wingard had slipped his man, and Westy tonked the ball well over his head and straight to the trailing aint's defender, that he was a long way from Port's worst.

Yes, but besides THAT Mrs Lincoln what did you think of the play? :D

Barring injury, we wont see Matt Lobe this year. I'd like to see Jacko and Paddy split the ruck duties 50/50. Jacko is a beast when the ball hits the ground, i'd almost start him first ruck and try and get Paddy going up forward.

He will win the Magarey Medal if that is the case, I suspect he will be a semi regular as a minimum.

For his size and the roles he plays, he is generally always serviceable. For some reason we always expect more from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back