Preview JLT2: Geelong V Essendon 7:10 pm Thursday 7th March @KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That game was last year, Round 12 and it was a putrid display by the umpires. Free kick count 32 -18 in Norths favour, but it was about 30-6 at 3/4 time. When the umpires realised they weren’t going to get North over the line, they tried to cover their tracks by squaring up the free kick count in the last 1/4. That was the day I recognised there was agendas at play... and to this day, I believe the umpires were given direction to get North home.

Why?

We get accidental king hits Gaffs last year. Because all hits are out of the game now the rules have changed you can't touch anyone. Too many cameras and the media have taken that type of player away from the professional game

But you never could in that respect. Striking has always been illegal. I’d argue if it’s accidental it’s not a king hit. A king hit is a deliberate act - Matthews on Bruns, Brereton on Frawley etc. It’s not in the same solar system as players merely jostling with one another. No matter how much the commentators fall over theselves to agree with it.

The game in 2015 was where we were 3-4 goals up at home in the second quarter and Mollison paid a series of howlers that led Nth to get back into the game. It actually got worse from there.

Same thing happened in the return game later in the year. Same umpire, same result.

Each time we get him as an umpire I cringe yet the reality is he probably has had no influence on a game of ours since.
Jacobs stats that day we’re telling.
13 frees to North, 0 to Geelong

But you never could in that respect. Striking has always been illegal. I’d argue if it’s accidental it’s not a king hit. A king hit is a deliberate act - Matthews on Bruns, Brereton on Frawley etc. It’s not in the same solar system as players merely jostling with one another. No matter how much the commentators fall over theselves to agree with it.
You have a bizarre definition of ‘jostling’. Bagley punched a guy and got penalised. Good.

What standing up for himself against a dickhead that made the grand final all about himself?bit rich having that selfish dickhead calling you a selfish/lazy player.

Yeah nah

Agreed. Murph is a bit of a northcote w***er!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dont need a second ruck if Stanley plays 80 % for the 70 % they are not rucking it costs us run. We may do it for a game or two at SS (on the narrow ground with lots of stoppages) to help manage Stanley but no way we do it at the MCG or down the stretch in finals, we struggle enough for run as it is.

So you don't think kicking straight at the G is an advantage.
If Stanley goes down so does the structure.

For the reasons I pointed out in my post. Even the Richmond supporter sitting with me felt there was something at play

I recall that game....Mollison handed out the worst umpiring performance I can remember. His set against Geelong was a cumulative effort....at first I didnt think much of it, then after a particularly poor decision I took note of his number (32) and by games end was totally gobsmacked that he ever managed to get past umpiring kids games.

It was an terrible effort by Mollison that day....and I am not one to call out umpires very often....

I recall that game....Mollison handed out the worst umpiring performance I can remember. His set against Geelong was a cumulative effort....at first I didnt think much of it, then after a particularly poor decision I took note of his number (32) and by games end was totally gobsmacked that he ever managed to get past umpiring kids games.

It was an terrible effort by Mollison that day....and I am not one to call out umpires very often....
Yep the worst umpiring I've ever seen, my partner was working that day so I was home with the kids and watching on TV which made it more frustrating as I had the "benefit" of decent replays..
I don't buy into the umpiree conspiracies that some do though... I just think he is a simply awful umpire and we just happened to cop it bad that day.
No doubt we won't be the only ones that have gotten it either

Bettered by Peter Cameron in 1989 Rd 6 vs Hawthorn. Allowed Brereton to run into Yeates contesting the ruck with his knees as an example. Ruined a great game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah last night was not on the same scale as the "I'll wait for a perfect time where the free has maximum impact" from the EF last year, but I still thought the incident didn't really want interference from the emergency umpire.

Nonetheless Joel needs to be careful. I do think in some games he gets way too little protection though. I'm concerned that our round 23 game is against Carlton. Brendan Bolton has always instructed his side to go over the top with off the ball stuff against us. I don't want players potentially missing finals retaliating against that poor excuse for coach.

Why is just against us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep the worst umpiring I've ever seen, my partner was working that day so I was home with the kids and watching on TV which made it more frustrating as I had the "benefit" of decent replays..
I don't buy into the umpiree conspiracies that some do though... I just think he is a simply awful umpire and we just happened to cop it bad that day.

That’s exactly it. Acknowledging an umpire had a bad game is a long way from proving there’s some evil conspiracy against Geelong.

Some of the stuff that appears on that subject looks like extreme paranoia.

That’s exactly it. Acknowledging an umpire had a bad game is a long way from proving there’s some evil conspiracy against Geelong.

Some of the stuff that appears on that subject looks like extreme paranoia.
It'd be paranoia if I didn't have a former umpire admit it to me.

The umpiring the gets on my goat is where blind Freddy can see a game getting out of control and they do nothing,in most cases an early free kick or two cleans that up,worst example in sort of recent times SJ and Crowley.

The umpiring the gets on my goat is where blind Freddy can see a game getting out of control and they do nothing,in most cases an early free kick or two cleans that up,worst example in sort of recent times SJ and Crowley.
It's probably a topic for a different thread but 100% agree.. They lack control and then when the horse has bolted they pay stupid soft frees to try regain it.

The players must hate it, not only week to week do the interpretations seem to change but even quarter to quarter in some cases. The AFLs insistence in tweaking rules and constant overreacting to things doesn't help anyone really

It's probably a topic for a different thread but 100% agree.. They lack control and then when the horse has bolted they pay stupid soft frees to try regain it.

The players must hate it, not only week to week do the interpretations seem to change but even quarter to quarter in some cases. The AFLs insistence in tweaking rules and constant overreacting to things doesn't help anyone really
Good strong umpiring and you possibly don't even get a player reported in that Cats Freo clash.

Even worse example was Solomon on Ling. Freo were being antagonistic all quarter, and we were getting pinged for retaliating. Free kick tally in that 1st term was something like 15-2 Fremantle's way before Solomon decided to cave in Ling's cheekbone with his elbow.

I can’t stand umpiring bashing either..... too much of it on this board, but that game left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Just watched the game again (well the middle 2 quarters) and I reckon GAJ has a few more years left in him, if he wants it.
I could easily see another 70-80 games from Gaz floating across half forward or a touch deeper, he's got elite fitness and preparation so that will never be an issue, and his decision making is as good as anyone I've ever seen.
All he'd have to do is slowly roll back the dependence on speed and agility and instead start to lean on that football IQ and ability to make the right decisions and execute.
Of course 1 decent injury would put an end to all that but I wouldn't be against it.

Sorry but it might need a bit more than that.

What’s the actual conspiracy? Anti-Geelong? Why? We don’t need help not winning finals, we’ve got Chris Scott for that.
Not so much an actual conspiracy against Geelong but Mollison and that umpire #22 are certainly suspicious.

Just that I was told certain umpires don't necessarily umpire in the spirit of the game. They were once supporters of teams just like you and I don't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back