B: Kaiden Brand - Lewis Melican - Dane Rampe
HB: Callum Mills - Aliir Aliir - Jake Lloyd
C: Harry Cunningham - Josh Kennedy - Jordan Dawson
HF: Sam Grey - Sam Reid - Isaac Heeney
F: Tom Papley - Lance Franklin - Tom McCartin
R: Callum Sinclair - Luke Parker - George Hewitt
I: Will Hayward - Lewis Taylor - Oliver Florent - Ryan Clarke
E: Nick Blakey - Robbie Fox - Jackson Thurlow - Colin O'Riordan

Solid squad IMO. Probably won't make finals, but should be in that 9-12 range and be a competitive match-up for a lot of teams.

They've got a fair bit of outside run at the moment, and if anything, they're probably surprisingly lacking a bit of inside grunt and tackling in that midfield, and depth down back as well. Could this be the year that Heeney becomes a full-time mid?

Different types.

Bit tall with Blakey in that line-up IMO (even though he's a string bean).

Anyway, nitpicking over the 22nd man aside, there's enough there to be competitive and not be a bottom 4-6 side.

Not nitpicking on the 22nd man, Blakey is very much first 22
I've got 6 differences to your proposed list, and thats without taking into account Gould and Stephens as Draftees who may feature early this year
You missed out Rowbottom and Naismith, certain starters (assuming Naismith is fit) and Ronke (EMG)
Yoiu put in Clarke, Thurlow and Fox and TBH if they are in the side, we are depth\bit players

I also reckon the Coaches will be looking to get both Blakey and Dawson up on the wings as both are handy overhead and great deliverers of the ball.
Also likely that both Heeney and Mills may see more time in the middle this year as well so harder to balance out the Centre line and Followers

Sinclair unlucky to miss out but with Naismith coming back, he is a better Tap Ruck option and the team would be way too tall with him in the side. First in if any of McCartin\Reid\Naismith out though.

Anyways, I reckon a finish of 15th or thereabouts this year although if a few of the younger brigade can step up and become consistent contributors up to 12th is possible

BBrandRampeLloyd
HBMillsAliir AliirDawson
CBlakeyParkerFlorent
HFMcCartinFranklinHeeney
FPapleyS ReidHayward
FOLLNaismithKennedyHewett
I/CRowbottomGrayTaylorC O'Riordan
EMGSinclairRonkeCunninghamMelican
DrafteesGould*Stephens*

Not nitpicking on the 22nd man, Blakey is very much first 22
I've got 6 differences to your proposed list, and thats without taking into account Gould and Stephens as Draftees who may feature early this year
You missed out Rowbottom and Naismith, certain starters (assuming Naismith is fit) and Ronke (EMG)
Yoiu put in Clarke, Thurlow and Fox and TBH if they are in the side, we are depth\bit players

I also reckon the Coaches will be looking to get both Blakey and Dawson up on the wings as both are handy overhead and great deliverers of the ball.
Also likely that both Heeney and Mills may see more time in the middle this year as well so harder to balance out the Centre line and Followers

Sinclair unlucky to miss out but with Naismith coming back, he is a better Tap Ruck option and the team would be way too tall with him in the side. First in if any of McCartin\Reid\Naismith out though.

Anyways, I reckon a finish of 15th or thereabouts this year although if a few of the younger brigade can step up and become consistent contributors up to 12th is possible

BBrandRampeLloyd
HBMillsAliir AliirDawson
CBlakeyParkerFlorent
HFMcCartinFranklinHeeney
FPapleyS ReidHayward
FOLLNaismithKennedyHewett
I/CRowbottomGrayTaylorC O'Riordan
EMGSinclairRonkeCunninghamMelican
DrafteesGould*Stephens*

Fair enough. If anything though, your changes illustrate that there's probably more depth there than originally thought.

By the way, I don't rate Naismith at all. Was pretty useless outside the tap before injury (kind of the opposite of Sinclair), and I doubt that two full years out of senior footy will see much improvement in ability or mobility. Still, he's contracted for the next two seasons, so if fit, he'll probably play.

Fair enough. If anything though, your changes illustrate that there's probably more depth there than originally thought.

By the way, I don't rate Naismith at all. Was pretty useless outside the tap before injury (kind of the opposite of Sinclair), and I doubt that two full years out of senior footy will see much improvement in ability or mobility. Still, he's contracted for the next two seasons, so if fit, he'll probably play.

There is more depth, but the main changes have been that the youth recruited and blooded over the past few years address areas we lacked such as height, marking ability, pace and better disposal\ball use.

Barring Injuries, players like Sinclair, Cunningham, Clarke, Thurlow, Melican provide handy depth and if Gould and Stephens come on this year, add 2 more dropping back into that category.

FWIW most Swans fans don't overly rate Naismith either outside of the Tap, but he is the best available option at the moment and an area we are more likely looking to improve with recruitment as both Naismith and Sinclair are ocntracted to 2021

Dumped from the leadership group -

A) so he can concentrate on his football or
B) punishment for wanting out of Essendon?

C) Recognition he's on his way out?

If a player wants to leave or a player wants to come to your club, significant effort needs to be made to facilitate it.

As I have seen with the Hawks and the last few premiers that in among all the hard work harmony and connection between players is a vital ingredient. Bombers should have got a deal done. Especially when there could be other players in the same boat.

If a player wants to leave or a player wants to come to your club, significant effort needs to be made to facilitate it.

As I have seen with the Hawks and the last few premiers that in among all the hard work harmony and connection between players is a vital ingredient. Bombers should have got a deal done. Especially when there could be other players in the same boat.

How was Essendon meant to get the deal done when Sydney never had the picks they were offering secured?

How was Essendon meant to get the deal done when Sydney never had the picks they were offering secured?
If they had an agreement, Sydney probably would have pushed the Papley to Carlton deal. Seems that only fell through when the Daniher deal fell through.

Darcy Daniher had to retire after just 6 games with "Groin Issues" now his brother Joe Daniher is having
similar "Groin Issues", I was surprised Sydney was interested, but it is sad for the game as he was a
unique talent on the up. Very similar to Lance Franklin with the kicking action and conversion issues.
Didn't even know he had a brother.

Looking like Swans may have dodged a bullet. Shame if so, he's a gret player to watch.

If they had an agreement, Sydney probably would have pushed the Papley to Carlton deal. Seems that only fell through when the Daniher deal fell through.

After hearing dan Richardson this morning on SEN, Essendon and their supporters are going to wish they did the deal. Bookmark this..joe won’t be playing until the earliest round 10 and by then he may to a Patton and refuse to play after he agrees to join the swans as a free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After hearing dan Richardson this morning on SEN, Essendon and their supporters are going to wish they did the deal. Bookmark this..joe won’t be playing until the earliest round 10 and by then he may to a Patton and refuse to play after he agrees to join the swans as a free agent.

He won't do a Patton IMO.

Back round 1 or 10 it doesn't matter, what's important is they have a plan for his rehab and they stick to that plan, and from what we can see that's exactly what they're doing.

5 + 9 draft picks vs a big chunk of salary cap for a guy whos career has been ruined by OP and will barely play at full load again. Wont ever be able to train fully again.

Possibly the worst non-trade a club has ever made. Hopefully Dodoro never leaves the Bombers.

Essendon would've shifted the goal posts. Dodoro never wanted the trade to go through, hence demanding a like for like replacement. Where was Sydney supposed to find an overhyped player who won't play for half the season if at all?
5 + 9 draft picks vs a big chunk of salary cap for a guy whos career has been ruined by OP and will barely play at full load again. Wont ever be able to train fully again.

Possibly the worst non-trade a club has ever made. Hopefully Dodoro never leaves the Bombers.
I think it was 9 + next years first, but it was overs in any event. Howler of a decision.

Essendon would've shifted the goal posts. Dodoro never wanted the trade to go through, hence demanding a like for like replacement. Where was Sydney supposed to find an overhyped player who won't play for half the season if at all?

I think it was 9 + next years first, but it was overs in any event. Howler of a decision.
Is this a view shared by fellow Essendon supporters?

Is this a view shared by fellow Essendon supporters?

Any Essendon supporter that thinks keeping Daniher was a good decision is embarrassing themselves...not only has he barely played in two seasons, he met with the swans during last season and openly asked for a trade. He does not want to be at the club.

This has got Jon Patton from last season written all over it. The only difference is, Essendon have 0 chance of winning the flag. Essendon will be 5-9 by round 14 when Daniher will be a chance to return and he won’t play. He will either end up retiring or will be at Sydney next season and Essendon will end up with nothing. All because the biggest myth in football Adrian Dodoro thinks he’s the messiah...the funniest thing about it all is there are actually bomber supporters that fall for his antics EVERY season...he’s a joke!

If I was an Essendon supporter I would be ropable with the whole situation.

It was a bold gambit. But personally, as a true dillusionist, I prefer the fractional possibility that it works out for the better than to have given up and made the trade.
Fair enough but during the trade period the club clearly knew that his heart was not invested into the club. The club even said publicly after the deal fell through that they hoped to make Joe fall in love with the club again.

This plus his injury concerns surely would have made two first rounders equitable. Dodo was pushing a Buddy equivalent/at his best as a straight swap. Dreaming!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back