Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Joel Wilkinson, the AFL and the search for racial justice - ABC News

Key parts of the story -

It began in his debut AFL game for the Gold Coast Suns against the Western Bulldogs on June 25, 2011 and continued through to the end of 2019, when he withdrew from a Human Rights Commission complaint process.

"I removed myself due to the blatant conflict of interest, corruption, and continued racial abuse with no accountability," Wilkinson says.

"I have every reason to believe that they were attempting to force me into some type of disgusting settlement.

"Whilst certain AFL parties were removed from any type of non-disclosure agreement, they were intending for me to be bound by one, leaving me unable to speak of any of the racism that occurred."

Wilkinson had been bound by AFL non-disclosure agreements during his playing career and they had failed him.

He says he wanted to tell his full story publicly before now, but was unable to. The only person to be silenced by the non-disclosure agreements, it seemed, was him.

Others were free to spin their own version of events.

"The AFL and individuals consistently have denied, dismissed, abused and been corrupt throughout their dealings with me," he told The Ticket.

"When it came to me, they used their institutional power to keep me silent.

"They hid behind their racist policies, while threatening me with severe consequences if I was to speak out of their discriminatory order.

"In the end, I know I was racially blackballed from the league."

During his first AFL match for the Gold Coast Suns, Wilkinson was called a "f***ing black c**t" several times by Western Bulldogs player Justin Sherman.

The AFL's vilification policy requires strict confidentiality preventing any public comment. Permission can be sought to make a public comment, but it must have the written agreement of all parties concerned.

All documents relating to a complaint must remain confidential and be retained for seven years. While Wilkinson says he was silenced, Sherman held a media conference offering a public apology "to the player concerned" without obtaining Wilkinson's permission.

The Bulldogs paid $5,000 to a charity and Sherman was suspended for four weeks, but Wilkinson was absent from the story.

"I was silenced by the league, silenced by my own team, the Gold Coast Suns," he says.

Eight years later, after enduring more racial abuse — including a blackface incident involving teammates — Wilkinson took the AFL and several clubs to the Human Rights Commission.

The lawyer appointed by AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan to represent all parties named in Wilkinson's claims of racism and a "continuous breach of human rights" was Peter Gordon, president of the Western Bulldogs — where Wilkinson's history of racial vilification began.

In 2012, when I was playing at the MCG against Collingwood, I was racially abused by Collingwood supporters", he says.

"It was a significant amount of them. They were making all kinds of monkey noises at me.

"I specifically pointed them out, told them to get the f** out of there. Yet none of that was captured.

"From there, Collingwood lied, the AFL lied, Gold Coast Suns lied and said it was an isolated incident, limited to only one fan. They covered that up, so I wasn't surprised to see the Adam Goodes abuse.

"There was a white player, Dale Thomas, from Collingwood who was nearby and witnessed the abuse and my reaction.

"After the game he was used front and centre in the national media discourse speaking out against racism and the fans' abuse, perpetuating the white saviour complex and minimising my stance against the racism.

"During that process they refused to let me speak out… I was misrepresented. What I thought was a private conversation, a private recording with the AFL, ended up being in a press conference which they abused and I was unaware of, they made false claims on my behalf.

"And to make things even more challenging, I was subjected to a vulgar locker-room culture, where I was targeted by a group of players that were behaving towards me through the prism of their racist ideas when it comes to black men's private parts.

"It was so degrading. I would go to the extent of using the opposition changerooms to shower and change."

Wilkinson also claims that his stance on racism and the complaints he made had a big influence on him being delisted.

So does the AFL just pay anti-racism lipservice or are they genuine in wanting to address the issue?

One thing which is institutionalised in AFL....the forced sacking of 10% of the player workforce each year.....no wonder current employees rarely speak out when work culture issues ‘going sour’

If any organisation had to move on 10% of its workforce annually, good capable people would be cut

One thing which is institutionalised in AFL....the forced sacking of 10% of the player workforce each year.....no wonder current employees rarely speak out when work culture issues ‘going sour’

If any organisation had to move on 10% of its workforce annually, good capable people would be cut
That is a really good point

Joel Wilkinson, the AFL and the search for racial justice - ABC News

Key parts of the story -

Wilkinson also claims that his stance on racism and the complaints he made had a big influence on him being delisted.

So does the AFL just pay anti-racism lipservice or are they genuine in wanting to address the issue?

Also delisted because an unremarkable 20 games over a few years led to the club parting ways.

Like they do with most AFL players who dont show serious talent.

Also delisted because an unremarkable 20 games over a few years led to the club parting ways.

Like they do with most AFL players who dont show serious talent.
Phew.

So everything else he said is rightfully unimportant.

Good one.

Last edited:
He was no good, blaming his delisting on racism is a joke. It’s not to say he didn’t face discrimination during his career but his lack of ability is the reason he was cut
And you're focusing on that instead of the other stuff he brought up because ...

Oh you're a Collingwood supporter.

That’s what you took from the article is it?????

Stop and think before posting.
Youse need to be careful too.

The treatment Lindsay Thomas copped after Bontempelli's defamatory remarks a few years ago is disgraceful. Your club had no blackfelklas on the list last year and if youse carry on the way the rumours suggest you'll have none again as soon as JUH's contract is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you're focusing on that instead of the other stuff he brought up because ...

Oh you're a Collingwood supporter.

It takes away from his argument or point when he tries to blame it on ending his career as that’s clearly not the case. He would be better to say what he experienced in a balanced manner without trying to over do it

It takes away from his argument or point when he tries to blame it on ending his career as that’s clearly not the case. He would be better to say what he experienced in a balanced manner without trying to over do it
That may be fair enough but if its the only thing coming from a Pies fan at this particular time ... well what do you expect people to think?

That may be fair enough but if its the only thing coming from a Pies fan at this particular time ... well what do you expect people to think?
Mate the bloke went to the Northern Blues and couldn’t get a kick there. He was never up to the level. Hopefully he is enjoying himself now trying to make an NFL side

Im not a Pies fan.

And that level of delusion on his career ending makes me wonder about what else is cannot be accepted on face value.

We know he was racially abused. But what came after that should have a cloud around it.

An immediate investigation by an "independent" inquiry should be carried out on the Western Bulldogs to uncover any forms of systematic racism and any other forms of harassment, bullying and inappropriate behavior stretching back over the last 50 years. These inquiries should be carried out on all the clubs and the AFL in general.

He was no good, blaming his delisting on racism is a joke. It’s not to say he didn’t face discrimination during his career but his lack of ability is the reason he was cut

Pretty hard to be the best you can in a poor work environment. Working for organisations that silenced him.

Most people would walk and work elsewhere.

Explain away how he couldn’t get a kick in the VFL then and lasted one year there

He lost his passion for the game. Was sick of a toxic workplace.

Its not a hard concept mate. You dont get the best out of anyone if they feel racially villafied.

You believe the issue ended as soon as he started playing in the second tier comps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back