Coach John Longmire

Is it time to think about a change up top?

• No - I don't want to financially cripple the club

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personnel obviously a big difference currently for Longmire- but I'll pay credit to him. It appears as if he has changed the plan and we are going sideways and controlling the ball a lot more- can normally have about a dozen kicks a quarter where we go straight to the opposition with no forwardline but currently we're waiting for our forward line (or actually have one).

Another big change is lack of opposition- St Kilda were a bit off, North were ordinary and so were Brisbane. Hawthorn hopefully we thrash, afterwards is when our tests come.

Big game after the bye imo

Personnel obviously a big difference currently for Longmire- but I'll pay credit to him. It appears as if he has changed the plan and we are going sideways and controlling the ball a lot more- can normally have about a dozen kicks a quarter where we go straight to the opposition with no forwardline but currently we're waiting for our forward line (or actually have one).

Another big change is lack of opposition- St Kilda were a bit off, North were ordinary and so were Brisbane. Hawthorn hopefully we thrash, afterwards is when our tests come.

Big game after the bye imo
I think you'll find that a lot of sides are a bit 'off' playing us if we continue to play the way we did last weekend. Our full team defense, and our impressive attack on the ball, will make them so.

I think you'll find that a lot of sides are a bit 'off' playing us if we continue to play the way we did last weekend. Our full team defense, and our impressive attack on the ball, will make them so.

Indeed. When the Swans play well, even opposition coaches struggle to give us credit half the time as their own sides appear to play 'so poorly' that it's their own fault for losing.

"Not to take anything away from Sydney but..."

Indeed. When the Swans play well, even opposition coaches struggle to give us credit half the time as their own sides appear to play 'so poorly' that it's their own fault for losing.

"Not to take anything away from Sydney but..."
Exactly! A really good team playing well can 'make' a team play poorly.

This ^^^^
Both Richardson and Mav Weller on Gameday attributed the Saints poor performance to Sydney pressure.

Someone let me know when we can criticise him

What do you mean? He has been criticised relentlessly on here. I also think most agree he deserves some criticism. The whole "sack him now" is not feasible though. I also don't think he is solely to blame for our season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta say he got completely out coached in the first half tonight. Really set us back with his slow changes in game plan

Just the first half?

Who was on Burgoyne all game? No wonder he was BOG by a mile no one was near the bloke all game!

Teams that like to run and bustle and use quick handpasses go to water against us (Saints). But we have no counter to teams which hold the ball, play through loose players behind the ball and hit targets by foot.

Hawks and Pies were horrible. Hawks were handpassing nowhere, kicking over the heads of their targets, turning it over woth hortible decision making and basically struggling all over the ground. And yet they dominated us.

Via the sheer weight of uncontested possessions both they and that Collingwood rabble won out.

Try that against a quality side and Bam you have a demolition such as the one GWS inflicted on us.

If the Hawks played like the Saints or Lions we would have smashed them. But they don't play that way. And neither do many sides sitting in finals contention.

Plan b's aren't just to implement mid game, sometimes you just have to know your opponent before the first bounce and plan specifically to play them.

We don't seem to. We seem to run with plan a, then after an hour of getting nowhere we then try to play catch up in the last 40 mins when it's already all gone wrong.

Hopefully Collingwood go after Dew if/when Buckley is sacked, it'll force a change that I doubt we'll get otherwise. We need a fresh voice from somewhere else, maybe try and get an assistant in from a club that's playing an attacking game like modern footy requires.
Longmire gets first crack at a rebuild, but if we're not playing a decent brand of footy next year he should be under serious pressure. The game-plan is very dated and if a Hawthorn fielding a VFL standard side can work it out any one can (hence why we've lost 7 games already). The sad reality is people are going to stop rocking up if we keep playing that ugly s**t without getting results as well.

He doesn't have to change his fundamentals of contested ball, tackling etc. but he needs to sort out a structure, a plan B and and better ball movement patterns. Yes we can kick decent scores with this game-plan when we're on, but if we're not 100% on we completely fall out of games and fall too far behind to recover properly. Had we been playing any other side (bar one or two) last night we would have been much further behind at half-time. He doesn't have to completely throw it out but it needs a serious upgrade.

Genuine question for those who say we should sack Horse, who do you think should be his replacement?

No replacement for me.

I just want Horse to deliver a well drilled side capable of two distinct styles of footy, making us capable of dominating all teams in the League; and a coaching staff knowing which style to implement pregame.

Last edited:
Genuine question for those who say we should sack Horse, who do you think should be his replacement?

Run a process, dont need someone sitting there obviously

He has long enough with the list, clearly out of ideas

Run a process, dont need someone sitting there obviously

He has long enough with the list, clearly out of ideas
Yep exactly. Think he's lost the group.

You lost me at the havent got the cattle to beat hawthorn

See the list last night? They have a s**t tonne of injuries and are basically rat s**t now and still we cant beat them as basically full strength at home?
No Rioli, Frawley, Birchall, Ceglar, Stratton, O'Meara. Pretty serious firepower.

We won the free kick count fairly comfortably so at least its a nice change to see less umpire whining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back