John 'Sammy' Newman offers to be erased from the history of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever been a bouncer at a pub? Sam has at the Eureka when he was trying to make it as a player at Geelong,not the cushious of jobs.
40 or 50 years ago ...geez he’s such a big tough man

can only imagine the bullshit he must of got away with back in the day in that industry with little to no regulations...cause that’s the only reason why it was a tough job back in the day...anything went with no recourse
Edit: been a bouncer it’s hardly a tough job unless you’re being a dickhead and trying to get into fights...

Last edited:
Ever been a bouncer at a pub? Sam has at the Eureka when he was trying to make it as a player at Geelong,not the cushious of jobs.
Awww he had to get a real job once.
Nah never been one. Have punched on with them though lol. The Maori ones were allright, a lot of them were just weirdos though who spent all day in the gym and taking roids.
Least in that day punch ons were actual punch ons and he's a pretty tall bloke.
I can imagine Sammy would of enjoyed that job quite a bit. Quite a few girls coming his way.

The only sensitive "Snowflake" here is Sam.
It's weird how the tough talkers have never really had it tough, so they don't understand how different life can be, so when things don't go their way they act like a baby. They don't know how to deal.

The world has become sensitive in that so many in it these days wake up every morning looking to be offended.

Sam's assertion that Floyd was less than a good component of society is more or less factual. It's how he expressed it that has got people offended. You just can't be calling criminals a 'piece of.... '.

40 or 50 years ago ...geez he’s such a big tough man

can only imagine the bullshit he must of got away with back in the day in that industry with little to no regulations...cause that’s the only reason why it was a tough job back in the day...anything went with no recourse

Everyone will eventually look back on their 'time' as being 40 to 50 years ago, even you and I.

The world has become sensitive in that so many in it these days wake up every morning looking to be offended.

Sam's assertion that Floyd was less than a good component of society is more or less factual. It's how he expressed it that has got people offended. You just can't be calling criminals a 'piece of.... '.
How many are offended? Or are people trying to make a thing out of it?
He's not in the media anymore cause he's controversial. It's just that noone wants to watch him.
Did you ever see the footy show in its last 10 years+? Possibly the worst show to ever go to air.
Eddie's said offensive s**t before but he was popular and people want to listen to him so he's still going.
Media writing articles and people on Twitter don't represent how many people actually care about something. Wish people would realise that.
Also now the same amount of people are waking up wanting to be offended about people being offended so they just take the hard line on everything without even thinking about it first. Like robots.

Last edited:
How many are offended? Or are people trying to make a thing out of it?
He's not in the media anymore cause he's controversial. It's just that noone wants to watch him.
Did you ever see the footy show in its last 10 years+? Possibly the worst show to ever go to air.
Eddie's said offensive sh*t before but he was popular and people want to listen to him so he's still going.
Media writing articles and people on Twitter don't represent how many people actually care about something.

Nah, never watched it, but it does seem to me that a lot of people are getting twisted up about Newman calling a criminal a 'piece of ....'

Now, if he'd just called him an a'hole I doubt anywhere near as many would've laid claim to be offended, yet it kinda implies the same thing.

You just got to be real careful about your phrasing these days.

Nah, never watched it, but it does seem to me that a lot of people are getting twisted up about Newman calling a criminal a 'piece of ....'

Now, if he'd just called him an a'hole I doubt anywhere near as many would've laid claim to be offended, yet it kinda implies the same thing.

You just got to be real careful about your phrasing these days.
Yeah suppose you gotta be careful. But he doesn't really. His career is made from being controversial.
I'm sure he can still have his podcast if he wants. This might get him a few hundred more listeners.
He and Nine splitting were mutual and when was the last time he was on it anyway?
This worked better than that Golf stunt.

Why are people offended with what he said.? Floyd was a pos. Held a gun to a pregnant womans stomach as his mates robbed her, among many other crimes. Was chock full of meth and fentanyl when he died, after passing counterfeit $20 notes. Did a few stints in jail.

It’s a fact, not an incorrect opinion. He didn’t deserve to die the way he did, but the world is a better place without people like him in it.

Don’t know why sam is getting upset about it though. Thought criticism would be water off a ducks back for him.
As I've said before. F**k all people are offended. He's just not popular enough to be on TV anymore.
Having a bit of a sook.

Yeah suppose you gotta be careful. But he doesn't really. His career is made from being controversial.
I'm sure he can still have his podcast if he wants. This might get him a few hundred more listeners.
He and Nine splitting were mutual and when was the last time he was on it anyway?
This worked better than that Golf stunt.

See, there's the thing. Sam is just forthright, a straight talker, as people generally were years ago. Back then, you called a serious criminal a 'piece of.... ' and not a soul would've contested, everyone would've agreed.

But such forthright, straight talking has steadily been eroded over the years as each generation has gotten a little more precious than the last. Society's sensitivity has now become so acute that speaking harshly about a serious criminal is 'offensive'.

I'll give you a recent example of how our future generation is being softened even more........ a local school does not 'bad behaviour' as a term of speech when referring to a child's behaviour. Kids are to be informed about their behaviour with the term 'expected behaviour' or 'unexpected behaviour'.

Can you imagine just how precious and offended these little souls will become?

Who cares? I enjoy these type of discussions.
It's nothing personal either if I think different either. I argue with mates constantly.
Me to it's not what I was trying to say,it could quickly become a won way discussion and I'd like to be here for gameday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people offended with what he said.? Floyd was a pos. Held a gun to a pregnant womans stomach as his mates robbed her, among many other crimes. Was chock full of meth and fentanyl when he died, after passing counterfeit $20 notes. Did a few stints in jail.

It’s a fact, not an incorrect opinion. He didn’t deserve to die the way he did, but the world is a better place without people like him in it.

Don’t know why sam is getting upset about it though. Thought criticism would be water off a ducks back for him.
I see Sam as a side show in this, my concern is why the * do sporting clubs now more and more find a need to become involved in these social matters and even worse commit entire clubs to a view.Just worry about playing footy and staying viable.

I see Sam as a side show in this, my concern is why the fu** do sporting clubs now more and more find a need to become involved in these social matters and even worse commit entire clubs to a view.Just worry about playing footy and staying viable.
Coiuldn't agree more.

Ditto the AFL, Moral Guardians of the Universe.

It's pretty simple really; MIND YOUR OWN ******* BUSINESS.

sh*t! Nah I haven't seen that one. That's not good.
For some reason my kids schools don't have any that stuff that people talk about, like what you just said, banning Xmas, games with no score etc.
But it must be happening somewhere.
Yeah in some ways it'll be too sensitive, some ways it'll be way too tough.
Like my kids will never probably be able to buy a house no matter how hard they work.
That's if there's even full time jobs in the future.
They won't be able to get pissed and f**k up without it being videoed and put on the internet.
Won't be able to drive without getting fined and taxed for everything
So many things in life are actually tougher even though everyone's too sensitive.

Yeah..... Too many are becoming offended about being offended.

If everyone just minded their own business and focused on family, health and happiness we'd be better off.

I despise the idea of someone being erased from club history just because their political and/or social views don't align with the prevailing consensus.

As much as I disagree with Sam on many issues - probably most issues - I will be absolutely disgusted with the club if they agree to this.

I despise the idea of someone being erased from club history just because their political and/or social views don't align with the prevailing consensus.

As much as I disagree with Sam on many issues - probably most issues - I will be absolutely disgusted with the club if they agree to this.
Nobody has suggested it except Newman, in just his latest piece of desperate self-promotion.
The club has categorically rejected the absurd piece of Newman theatre.

Unless we toughen up as a Nation they won't even have a country.
We're not on our own there. I saw a video of an American army platoon marching in high heels to appreciate what women go through.
I was thinking f**k I hope China doesn't see this.
What women wear high heels all day anyway? Short secretary's? That's about it.

Sammy Newman entitled to his opinion.... And if they pull his name down at the club because of that, it's bullsh!t

Gee we might have to go threw every player history and if they have broken the law we might have to take there name down as well..

Nobody has suggested it except Newman, in just his latest piece of desperate self-promotion.

You say that like the idea that anyone would suggest such a thing is absurd. Which is a bizarre implication given our current cultural zeitgeist.

And I also never said anyone had suggested it except Newman. Hence why I said "I will be absolutely disgusted with the club if they agree to this", not "I am disgusted at the club for proposing this".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back