Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree .....it's the Clubs that make the game ....players are simply transient participants who do put on the show

the NFL believed that when they tried to use replacement players

Jerry Krause believed that when trying to replace Michael Jordan

go look at the crowds of an SANFL game anytime you want

It's amazing how quiet that Swans joker on the main board RUNVS and several of his clueless mates have gone since it came to light through Dogga that Sydney knocked back an offer of signing on for a further 2 years. Pretty obvious the Swans wanted to back end a 5 year deal while they worked on a reigning in their bursting salary cap issue.....i.e pay peanuts for the next couple of years then heavily back end the deal.

Which makes it even more confusing that Dawson wanted to look after Sydney by letting them get a pick.

If they refused to sign him for 2 years they walked away from him first.

I wish they banned players nominating clubs.
Nominate states

'I want to go to West Coast for family reasons'
'they dont have the draft capital to make it work, but Fremantle does and they want to trade'
'yeah, nah, I'd rather stay at Geelong than go to Fremantle'

if you believe players are only nominating states then Santa Claus must seem real too

the NFL believed that when they tried to use replacement players

Jerry Krause believed that when trying to replace Michael Jordan

go look at the crowds of an SANFL game anytime you want
Mmmm ....where's Jordan now & how's the NBA holding up ? .....there's always the next man up

Strike replacements don't work because the public see it for what it is ........

And on the SANFL ......can't name a minor league in Australia that attracts crowds ......Sheffield Shield, A-League ect

Plus these players are not seen as the elite players of the sport ....I'm referring to the natural evolution of players ....will crowds or club support wane once Dangerfield, Nic Nat, & Dusty retire .....that's a no

But what happens to North Melb's support if they were relocated to Tasmania .....I assume the same response as Fitzroy supporters gave the Brisbane Bears

No... the Club health outweighs the players

I don’t believe much of this is true. It’s just a rewriting of history that puts everyone in a good light
I think it's a very easy thing for him and his management to say after Sydney accepted the pick they did. If they held out and refused it, he goes to the PSD, not back to Sydney on a heavily back-ended contract he could break his leg 6 months into.

Mmmm ....where's Jordan now & how's the NBA holding up ? .....there's always the next man up

he now owns a club, and is one of the richest sportsmen in history. His Team Jordan agency is the elite sports agency of choice

Strike replacements don't work because the public see it for what it is ........

And on the SANFL ......can't name a minor league in Australia that attracts crowds ......Sheffield Shield, A-League ect

the SANFL had no problem before. The NFL had the same clubs

people want to watch the best players

Plus these players are not seen as the elite players of the sport ....I'm referring to the natural evolution of players ....will crowds or club support wane once Dangerfield, Nic Nat, & Dusty retire .....that's a no

Exactly. A club without the elite players is second best.

he now owns a club, and is one of the richest sportsmen in history. His Team Jordan agency is the elite sports agency of choice

the SANFL had no problem before. The NFL had the same clubs

people want to watch the best players

Exactly. A club without the elite players is second best.

You are talking about one sportsman - probably the greatest ever. The reality is the 99% of players get forgotten about in a millisecond and only a few are ever remembered.

Any fully professional league will be around forever - NFL, NBA, English Premier League, NHL, AFL etc. The players not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could have been wary of just getting him to free agency, plus would his management put that out there knowing it could be rebutted?

nah. You take the extension every day of the week, particularly after the season they just had. You back yourself in

it’s a complete fantasy from Turner who should know better than to just parrot hook line and sinker what TLA has fed him

They could have been wary of just getting him to free agency, plus would his management put that out there knowing it could be rebutted?
I understand that theory which takes him to FA however he was in a hot streak of form, both SA clubs showing interest and he didn't need to get to FA to cash in on a big contract.

Taking a short term deal could be risky as well, just look how things have turned for Matt Crouch....

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dont believe that his Management went to the Swans with a 2 year option 6 weeks out from the end of season

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The way Sydney have bitched and moaned I doubt that they'd just let a straight up lie slide. Especially one that totally reversed their narrative.

Just on this - not sure the 'next man up' policy really applies in this case. Sure, from a league-wide perspective viewership is still high, but the Bulls themselves haven't been relevant in years (maaaybe for one season in Rose's MVP year)

I'd argue that star power is ultimately what defines the overall success of a club. Moreso in a league like the NBA, where the rosters are smaller and there is a greater focus on the lead individual, but more often than not you see the game's top match-winners as the cornerstones of successful sides. What happens when that goes away? Well look at post-Judd WCE, post-Hodge Hawthorn etc. Sure, Geelong won a flag without Ablett and Hawthorn without Buddy, but they were both still stacked enough with elite-level talent to continue to succeed

And ultimately, from an individual club's perspective - success means sales

But what happens to North Melb's support if they were relocated to Tasmania .....I assume the same response as Fitzroy supporters gave the Brisbane Bears

No... the Club health outweighs the players
NBA is an obvious example of how younger fans follow players instead of a club.

And your other point - the top leagues that fans follow are that BECAUSE they have the best players. If the AFL filled their teams with replacements and the best players went elsewhere, the AFL would immediately become irrelevant.

And your other point - the top leagues that fans follow are that BECAUSE they have the best players. If the AFL filled their teams with replacements and the best players went elsewhere, the AFL would immediately become irrelevant.

exactly

look at how support for Manchester City has changed, since the money and then the players started flooding in

Newcastle United are in the market for players now the Saudis have taken over.

the first thing clubs with money do is upgrade the players knowing it leads to more fans, merchandise, sponsorship and TV share

I think people have misinterpreted my comment of "next man up" ......this was meant to be a generational comment

As one star departs, new stars arise to fill their places as the club & fan favorites ......club following and support does not get impacted

As good as Modra was, and Roo .....they have been replaced in the supporters eyes with new stars; Sloane, and Dangerfield ....and new stars will come from this latest batch

The thinking that any star is bigger than the club is a fallacy in the AFL .....yet many believe it to be.

But yes your point is correct re the NBA .....where 5 on court versus 22 in AFL ......lose or gain a player in the NBA and that clubs fortunes changes quickly .....not so in the AFL

I think people have misinterpreted my comment of "next man up" ......this was meant to be a generational comment

As one star departs, new stars arise to fill their places as the club & fan favorites ......club following and support does not get impacted

As good as Modra was, and Roo .....they have been replaced in the supporters eyes with new stars; Sloane, and Dangerfield ....and new stars will come from this latest batch

The thinking that any star is bigger than the club is a fallacy in the AFL .....yet many believe it to be.

But yes your point is correct re the NBA .....where 5 on court versus 22 in AFL ......lose or gain a player in the NBA and that clubs fortunes changes quickly .....not so in the AFL

Richmond have the ultimate winning culture, everyone buys in.

yet their culture ebbs and flows on Dusty. They go as he goes.

before his rise they were forever ninthmond.

Shinboner spirit never the same since Carey boffed Mrs Stevens

equalisation exists because some clubs can’t rise on their own

exactly

look at how support for Manchester City has changed, since the money and then the players started flooding in

Newcastle United are in the market for players now the Saudis have taken over.

the first thing clubs with money do is upgrade the players knowing it leads to more fans, merchandise, sponsorship and TV share
City's support hasnt changed that much. Were averaging nearly 30k in third tier. Often dont get anywhere near selling out 50k stadium now. Still probably behind United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle in fan support as they always were. Maybe risen above Everton but that's about it. Chelsea similar.

Richmond have the ultimate winning culture, everyone buys in.

yet their culture ebbs and flows on Dusty. They go as he goes.

before his rise they were forever ninthmond.

Shinboner spirit never the same since Carey boffed Mrs Stevens

equalisation exists because some clubs can’t rise on their own
And this has been the bane of St Kilda .....bereft of team success, the club has historically relied on the Superstar status of its players to symbolize a form of success

With some of the game's greatest players .....these players became St Kilda, at the expense of "team"

As you say equalisation came to fruition due to some clubs being stuck in a revolving door .....not just on-field, but off-field with their expenses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back