Jordy de Goey shopping around for new management

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordan de Goey turned up for pre-season in the same state he was the year before.
Overweight and unfit.

Collingwood wasn’t happy and neither was De Goey’s manager, Ben Niall.

Niall delivered some tough love to De Goey, and robust words were exchanged.

From there the relationship soured.

Meetings were postponed by De Goey, telephone calls weren’t immediately returned and it eventually culminated with an email by De Goey to Niall about three weeks ago, telling Niall he was sacked.

After several years of managing, nurturing and mentoring De Goey, through multiple mishaps and misadventures, some of which we know and others we don’t, De Goey no longer had enough respect for Niall to tell him face-to-face their relationship was over.

“I’ve stood by him in the darkest moments, the best of Jordy is very good. I wish him the best and nothing but success going forward,” Niall told the AFL website.

Clearly, Niall was disappointed.

When you’ve had a problem such as De Goey — the fights, the lies and the drink driving — there comes with it certain emotional investment.

De Goey’s summer has hardly been ideal.

He’s been on a modified program and is cutting the skin-folds, and by Round 1, he’ll probably be ready to go.

He’s a curious commodity, De Goey.

What makes him a good player — and he’s not yet a great player — is he plays in the moment.

He’s a risk taker, impulsive, instinctive, and his final series of 2018 was spectacular.

So, instead of arriving at pre-season fit and firing and ready to get the best out of himself, he’s had to get fit so he could start to fully train.

One the eve of his sixth season, it could be seen as a slap in the face for everyone who has helped De Goey over his tumultuous journey, from coach Nathan Buckley, to head of football Geoff Walsh, to leadership mentor Nick Maxwell and to president Eddie McGuire, all of whom have stood in De Goey’s corner.

His teammates would also be bemused.

Here they are being professional in the off-season and busting a gut in the pre-season and their matchwinning teammate has bad skinfolds and is being eased back into full-time training to avoid injury.

One source told the Herald Sun yesterday some behavioural issues have also been an eyebrow raiser.

Like, how De Goey told Jeremy Howe he couldn’t attend Howe’s buck’s party, believed to have been in December, because he had to attend a family gathering.

The story goes De Goey instead ended up at a nightclub.

Howe is said to be disappointed about how that one played out.

De Goey’s tale is a familiar one. He is an unbelievable player who, a source described, likes to be a 9-5 footballer and not a 24/7 footballer

At the club and in a structured environment surrounded by Howe, Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom and others, he’s invested.

In the off-season, surrounded by non-football mates, he’s a little unfettered.

One person close to him said yesterday the difference between De Goey’s good self and worst was “quite significant’’.

So, as he approaches his 24th birthday in March, where is De Goey the footballer?

He kicked 34 goals from 17 games last year — which are not superstar numbers.

Yes, he is a spectacular player, but that doesn’t make him a great player.

Any special requests, like keeping himself fit enough to play more than 17 games and be fit for finals?
He’s fit enough and will unleash hell gladiator style.

Apparently his manger insulted his frisbee.

sorry mate, didn’t spell it out earlier - he broke his hand at a st Kilda bar in a fight, told the club it was caught in a door throwing a frisbee to his dog.

I’m not scared of the frisbee, not sure if his manager is/insulted the frisbee

hope it clears it up

sorry mate, didn’t spell it out earlier - he broke his hand at a st Kilda bar in a fight, told the club it was caught in a door throwing a frisbee to his dog.

I’m not scared of the frisbee, not sure if his manager is/insulted the frisbee

hope it clears it up
Malicious lies! The frisbee attacked him in his sleep. Jordan is a saint of a man who will dominate in 2020.

Malicious lies! The frisbee attacked him in his sleep. Jordan is a saint of a man who will dominate in 2020.

I truly hope he does dominate - we want the same thing jmac.
There is a direct correlation between performance and standards so hopefully he meets them both.

I truly hope he does dominate - we want the same thing jmac.
There is a direct correlation between performance and standards so hopefully he meets them both.
He will, and then some.

Don’t know what to make if it. If he goes to Pickering does it help us given that Pickers also has Moore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does he keep turning up to preseason overweight and unfit?
Hey Kap genuine question, I'm not trying to be confrontational but are you talking about Jordy?
From what I have seen he seems to be looking OK.
Why do you think he is overweight and unfit.
Nothing I have read in the training threads seems to suggest that, as far as I can recall anyway.

Hey Kap genuine question, I'm not trying to be confrontational but are you talking about Jordy?
From what I have seen he seems to be looking OK.
Why do you think he is overweight and unfit.
Nothing I have read in the training threads seems to suggest that, as far as I can recall anyway.

Did you read a few posts before?

" Jordan de Goey turned up for pre-season in the same state he was the year before.
Overweight and unfit.

From there the relationship soured. "

For a kid with such a bad attitude who has never produced a consistent season (or any individual awards) I hope he doesn't see stars and asks for a ridiculous offer. If he wants 1 million we should rightfully laugh, unfit and inconsistent player.

"
Jordan de Goey turned up for pre-season in the same state he was the year before.
Overweight and unfit.

"
Overweight and unfit.

If that was from one of the articles I didn't read it but thanks for the heads up.

Hell has no fury than a scorned manager missing out on his free feed. Ben Niall has spilled his guts to Slobbo- nothing surer

probably right but there’s truth to it

it’s not okay for your star players to not set the standards - premiership windows don’t last too long and if it doesn’t all come together it’s quickly gone

unreal player but just tiresome.

" Jordan de Goey turned up for pre-season in the same state he was the year before.
Overweight and unfit.

For a kid with such a bad attitude who has never produced a consistent season (or any individual awards) I hope he doesn't see stars and asks for a ridiculous offer. If he wants 1 million we should rightfully laugh, unfit and inconsistent player.

Nothing is surer than we will pay the $1.0 million per year. Really we have no choice and DeGoey and his new Manager know it. Good luck to the kid.

hehe quoting the commission on the contract is embarrassing... we are small fry compared to other sports with the same popularity

160K is not a lot when you consider they are not signing these deals every day of the week. its a tough gig

Overweight and unfit.

Robbo printing more bullshit about the Pies before a season starts? Never! If you believe anything that prick writes, then that's on you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back