Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Kelly was available to come to us, you'd take him. It's that simple. If push came to shove though, I'd take Cogs over Kelly (only just), as he's one of my favourite players and would be an ideal replacement for Selwood with his tenacity, leadership and skill. I still think both will stay, but the marketing and the membership sales alone would enough to justify having a crack at either of them

Someone posted it on the Geelong board that it would be great to get him.

It's now fact.

As a North board mod I can verify this is how it works.

Someone posted it on the Geelong board that it would be great to get him.

It's now fact.

Actually it was a GWS poster who posted it not anyone from Geelong.

I know it doesn't mean much but I haven't seen any news outlets on him linking to us
Correct, there isn't anything.

Everyone is throwing up hypotheticals now.

There was also an Eagles supporter going around posting it as fact that "Geelong are into him big" which I don't believe as true because like you said there's no link.

Sure Geelong will inquire, but so will every other club.

I know it doesn't mean much but I haven't seen any news outlets on him linking to us
That’s probably a good thing no one other than fat hutchy had buddy to the swans

Keeps the window open at Geelong can see why he’d be interested north fans would spit the dummy as well
I think the issue with the Cats is money. I think that's what will drive his decision from a few things he's said. Other Vic clubs will have more cash to splash.

It comes down to priorities though, there's no absolute.

I think the issue with the Cats is money. I think that's what will drive his decision from a few things he's said. Other Vic clubs will have more cash to splash.

Geelong will have the money easily to spend with Smith and Scooter coming off big deals ditto HT and Ablett going onto lower wages and TK probably going. Almost all of our other OOC guys this year are fringe players. Whether we are prepared to spend it though is the issue we have shown cultural reluctance in the past to pay the salaries over 1mil PA that a lot of melb clubs do.

That’s probably a good thing no one other than fat hutchy had buddy to the swans
And that's spot on.. but it just feels better when you hear from the news eg Josh Kelly maybe interested in to Geelong.... But honestly do the media gurus really know or they just read BigFooty and go with it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just depends on how much..
Dollars the issue with Cats ...To a certain degree ..probably. If he want a haymaker contract he probably get more hay somewhere else... but I doubt he gets offered peanuts. He could be top tier with the chance to be highest paid within a couple years

Which other clubs are we think will have more money?

Correct, there isn't anything.

Everyone is throwing up hypotheticals now.

There was also an Eagles supporter going around posting it as fact that "Geelong are into him big" which I don't believe as true because like you said there's no link.

Sure Geelong will inquire, but so will every other club.

Totally fair... any and every club enquire about a player of his quality... the only thing that makes sense is IF we are going to lose a top grade mid ..id suspect we will want to replace him with as good a mid as we can get...but as usual a lot depends on where a player wants to be ..

Just depends on how much..
Dollars the issue with Cats ...To a certain degree ..probably. If he want a haymaker contract he probably get more hay somewhere else... but I doubt he gets offered peanuts. He could be top tier with the chance to be highest paid within a couple years

Which other clubs are we think will have more money?
We know North have made a big one before.

The Blues went hard for Shiel as well and there were indications there's was top dollar. Possible that Shiel fit their age profile needs better though.

The Blues went hard for Shiel as well and there were indications there's was top dollar. Possible that Shiel fit their age profile needs better though.

Hard to know what he would want but they are all different type of clubs and different experiences. Pies or Dons play a lot of blockbuster games etc.
If GWS go well this year ..would he not just stay for a couple ..you are as close to a flag as anyone.

Hard to know what he would want but they are all different type of clubs and different experiences. Pies or Dons play a lot of blockbuster games etc.
If GWS go well this year ..would he not just stay for a couple ..you are as close to a flag as anyone.
I really think it's money for Josh, listening to some of the things he's said. That's not evil he has limited time to ply his trade and set himself up.

I really think it's money for Josh, listening to some of the things he's said. That's not evil he has limited time to ply his trade and set himself up.

Was this a person conversation etc?

I know it sound silly but once its gets to those figures ..is it that much different after tax? He will be well paid no matter where he goes...
I guess thats something for him to work out... it must be a gut ripper moving and then watching your previous club have success... the money would be some sort of gratification I guess.

Was this a person conversation etc?

I know it sound silly but once its gets to those figures ..is it that much different after tax? He will be well paid no matter where he goes...
I guess thats something for him to work out... it must be a gut ripper moving and then watching your previous club have success... the money would be some sort of gratification I guess.
Just a sense about priorities from listening to him . I posted a podcast with Josh earlier in the thread talking in general terms.

Little doubt both NM and Carl will make huge offers but he wants to play finals I doubt he goes there. Ess wont have the picks or the cap room and i doubt Richmond can fit in his $. Ditto Collingwood (who more need KPPs anyway) Melbourne maybe could with Hogan's $ gone depends what May is on. You never rule out Hawthorn because they have a history of doing deals but even if Roughead and Burgoyne both retire they would have to really backend a deal to fit him in imo. Geelong will have the $ and may have the picks if TK goes so its possible we have a dip at him.

We absolutely have the coin mate.

I reckon he'll stay though. Thought an announcement was imminent?

Im not so sure about that you took on the last 3 years of Scully's contract (its why you got him so cheap) who would have been on way more money than Burton and Wingard as a pre agent would only have moved for big $. I think with Frawley and Roughead and Burgoyne soon to go you could fit him in but you would really have to backend it you won't have much room in 2020.

That said I think he'll stay for another 2 years at GWS even though your club and mine will be chasing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back