Society/Culture journalism and moral panics, in the time of DARPA and TBL

Remove this Banner Ad

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
so the 4th Estate no longer gets the Roger Corbett Fairfux[sic] (WoolworthsCEO/Fairfaxdirector/WalmartUSAdirector) riversofgold, nor is it actually subjected to that Waleed Aly Walkley speech of reader driven amplification from French media philosopher academic, it merely completed the inversion of the editor-readerasconsumer hierarchy using the algorithm and the quants in the executive suites dictate strategy, of atomised unique* cells that the economic market will hoover up and sell us back to us (like the Milgram Yale experiment) with our personality biases when they have the data and a sophisticated algorithm. And accelerated the loss in standards. This was well pre-Trump, they have been establishment for the longest time, they support Vietnam and the Hill, as I have stated before Thiel spoked about in some lectures that a colleague of his who went off to a conservative rival to New Yorker and Atlantic, a political monthly, not the Weekly Standard, it may have been American Independant, he spoke of his mate getting a gig in the first term of Clinton and the subscriber base enjoying the anti-Clinton bile, and gaining more subscriptions, and this was a circular feedback loop dynamic, and they wrote more Clinton screed. I have come to the opinion that this is probably more non-likely than likely, that this occured, and Thiel was confecting the apocryphal anecdote to explicate his point on Trump and the way the papers-of-record leading the charge to be the opposition from outside the government. * As Peter Bannon and Andrew Breitbart correctly predicted and harnessed this conceit as a building block within their media strategy for Trump with the appreciation as the traditional 4thEstate as the opposition, as the enemy. And has Trump played this putatively intellgent and educated class back to them...
* in Thiel's position, he and a colleague at Stanford formed the conservative campus newspaper, so he would have come into contact with future logcabin journalists. And, he may merely have exaggerated elements for the purposes in its exposition.

A fourth factor is the economic decline of traditional journalism as a whole, which has affected the way newsrooms now are run and staffed.​
As recently as the late 1990s, which is when I began my career in journalism, media organizations were able to insulate themselves against social panics and fads through the employment of a large corps of experienced, risk-averse, highly professional desk editors and middle managers. They supplied a sort of ideological ballast, so that a small number of activist journalists within the organization couldn’t exert veto power on controversial issues. Over the last 20 years, that entire stratum of professionals has been packaged out, and the editorial staffing in these organizations generally consists of just two groups: (a) a small corps of managing journalists in their 50s and 60s who are desperately trying to make it to retirement; and (b) a larger corps of poorly paid 20-somethings. Because members of this latter high-turnover group (rightly) feel have little expectation of long-term employment, their primary ideological loyalties are to social media, not to their nominal bosses.​

Waleed and the philosopher from French academe had it part-correct in the Australian context, the existing 4th Estate have used controversy and scandal for the purposes of amplification, they have channeled zeitgeist mores and trends, publishing fads to rent social harmony.
MaddAdam evo Contra Mundum medusala skilts
Eric Beecher on Roger Corbett
#TimBernersLee #TBL #DARPA

New York Times executive editor issues a communique to staff outlining the papers shift from RussiaGATE to Racism. I believe ABC's The Drum Julia Baird is part of the editorial board on the Grey Lady, so what is her opinion on this top-down death throe shiver cry to arms?
* potential contradiction using the term unique, when i was invoking those individuals as a bloc plus the reference of Times' exec team dictate from on high.

Back in the early 90s, I interviewed one of Australia's more distinguished investigative journalists, Ben Hills - he of the exposure of the Khemlani affair, and of the asbestos industry's cavalier attitude to victims of their doings. This was part of my degree in Media Studies.

Ben's description of investigative journalism, and the attendant difficulties in its continued maintenance, were instructive: "What happens is, a journo walks into his editor's office and says, 'I've got some information for a story I'd like to pursue. It will take between six and eight months to research and write, and I can provide no guarantee you will have a publishable story at the end of this process. Oh, by the way. this will cost the company between $200,000 and $500,000. When can I start?'"

Is it any wonder this form of journalism has fallen into disfavour, to our detriment.

By 1991, I knew that any chance I might have had of working in print media were history. It was around this time that papers began closing down, rather than starting up. Even 'The Dirty Digger' caught the infection. Still, having several other strings to my bow turned out to be a good thing. So many mates accepted 'packages'. With each departure, decades of quality, insightful writing left the industry. It is sad, if not tragic, but it was inevitable, given the circumstances outlined in your post. Didn't Beecher write well, and presciently? Morry Schwartz is not a complete a-hole.

On the other hand, not quite the same can be said of Ben Hills. He married a delightful Japanese woman, with whom I attended uni. One incident gives insight into the esteem in which he was held by his workmates. He and about a dozen other 'Age' employees one evening were having a drink at the Lemon Tree Hotel, in Carlton. This was around the time I interviewed him. Barry Dickens and Hills became involved in a physical contretemps, which ended up with Dickens on top of Hills. adopting a strangle hold on him. Not one of the other 'Age' workers lifted a hand to help Hills, or attempted to break up the brawl. That was left to the none- too-happy pub staff.

I can't be too critical of Ben though. When I went to Sydney a few years later, to see Ben and his wife, he was expansive in his hospitality, and mostly civil. Oh, and he did generously provide an interview which basically wrote my assignment on investigative journalism for me.

Thanks for posting, and stimulating thought on a dreary Melbourne day. I love the weather here.

Didn't Beecher write well, and presciently? Morry Schwartz is not a complete a-hole.
Beecher is Crikey owner post-AlanStockdale'smediaspoksman-Stephen Mayne. He started with a cricket magazine whilst still in school, he may have sold to Packer and stayed within broader PBL. I like Morry, but after buying SaturdayPaper many times I read a gonzo piece of the 'journo' who lived at Gatwick for purposes of the story, I think the same journo did a longer article on methamphetamine(ice) for GoodWeekend. I challenge the writer to give his notebook to the fact checking department of the New Yorker for both articles, I will stake myself on it.
On Morry, I was walking down Lygon Street on Saturday or Sunday morning about 8am four years ago, and looking in the window of Readings there was a guy with the big white mane resplendent and I took fifteen minutes to work out that was MS. The mane in comparison to the English philosopher A.C. Grayling was the giveaway, and my brain did not stop ticking over and could figure it out. BlackInc. the publishing imprint of the books quarterly essay monthly and Saturday is almost corner of langridge and smith opposite last laugh.

image.png

Last edited:

Lemon Tree skilts that was the Grattan corner at top of exhibition gardens, no, a 150metre further up, my German friend Gaby lived a few doors down Grattan there, at the time Assange is Grattan closer to park ville uni campus setting up WL in share house and giving stuff to the suelette Dreyfus documentary. Mick Gatto got Benji Veniamen on the corner place on the other side, or south side, but one block up.

gotta message(verb) succour moms[sic]* and doctors wives innit :peace:

don't forget
Mercedes too /pleonasm

*a blackcat neologism, dont plagiarise without approval
It does amuse me how the property developer proprietor of Schwartz Media keeps a bunch of pro immigration open borders types on staff.

It does amuse me how the property developer proprietor of Schwartz Media keeps a bunch of pro immigration open borders types on staff.
if you ask me, I prefer Morry's hair to AC Grayling, Grayling is a bit of a nob, and the follicle eponymity has incorrect hue. he needs to go to the Just For Men section at chemistWarehous and select the RichardGere hue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back