Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

NM vs Freo, seriously ridiculous.
Do not understand the AFL’s obsession with white shorts away when it makes the kit clash worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
White top V white shorts.

Well done AFL, well done 🙄

Carl vs Rich ❌ Rich should be in yellow

Coll vs Syd ✅

Ess v Haw ✅

GWS v North ✅

Geel v St K ✅

GC v Adel ❌ Not a terrible one but I’m going with a cross. Adel should be in white, would be much starker

Melb v WB ❌ Bulldogs should be in white

Port v WC ❌ WC should’ve worn blue shorts, no need to introduce white which clashes with Port. Their yellow jumper with white shorts also would’ve been better.

Freo v Bris ✅ All white or yellow would prob be better for Brisbane, but on balance this one was okay.

5/9. Very, very good by the AFL’s own standards.

Maybe we should introduce a new scale to grade any given combination of kits. A "contrastometer" if you like, rated 1-10:

Eng v NZ in rugby union would be a 10:

1711170256629.png

And something like this mish-mash would be say a 2 maybe a 3 if I'm generous:

1711170478779.png

Today's North v Freo I'd grade probably a 6. North in white shorts, Freo in purple would take it to an 8 or 9. But its not a nightmare, as the guernseys are still majority light v dark.

Carl vs Rich ❌ Rich should be in yellow

Coll vs Syd ✅

Ess v Haw ✅

GWS v North ✅

Geel v St K ✅

GC v Adel ❌ Not a terrible one but I’m going with a cross. Adel should be in white, would be much starker

Melb v WB ❌ Bulldogs should be in white

Port v WC ❌ WC should’ve worn blue shorts, no need to introduce white which clashes with Port. Their yellow jumper with white shorts also would’ve been better.

Freo v Bris ✅ All white or yellow would prob be better for Brisbane, but on balance this one was okay.

5/9. Very, very good by the AFL’s own standards.

This week

St K v Coll ✅ Prob one where a third kit would be ideal for Collingwood, but it’s not too bad - Saints are very black so Collingwood in white is ok

Adel v Geel ✅

North v Freo ❌ what a joke, an absolute cockup. Just reverse the shorts and it’s fixed. Such a simple solution makes this one of the worst

Haw v Melb ❌ not terrible but I’m going with a cross here because the basic premise - light vs dark - isn’t upheld. Hawks in white shorts and Dees in all navy would be best

Syd v Ess ✅

Dogs v GC ✅

Rich v Port ✅

WC V GWS ✅

6/8, as usual let themselves down with some basic idiocy

This week

St K v Coll ✅ Prob one where a third kit would be ideal for Collingwood, but it’s not too bad - Saints are very black so Collingwood in white is ok

Adel v Geel ✅

North v Freo ❌ what a joke, an absolute cockup. Just reverse the shorts and it’s fixed. Such a simple solution makes this one of the worst

Haw v Melb ❌ not terrible but I’m going with a cross here because the basic premise - light vs dark - isn’t upheld. Hawks in white shorts and Dees in all navy would be best

Syd v Ess ✅

Dogs v GC ✅

Rich v Port ✅

WC V GWS ✅

I think you're being perhaps a touch harsh on the Hawks/Dees. I don't think there was any mixing up those two, even on the TV long shots. I'd give it a solid 6.5 to 7 on the contrastometer and thus a pass.

This week

St K v Coll Prob one where a third kit would be ideal for Collingwood, but it’s not too bad - Saints are very black so Collingwood in white is ok

Adel v Geel

North v Freo what a joke, an absolute cockup. Just reverse the shorts and it’s fixed. Such a simple solution makes this one of the worst

Haw v Melb not terrible but I’m going with a cross here because the basic premise - light vs dark - isn’t upheld. Hawks in white shorts and Dees in all navy would be best

Syd v Ess

Dogs v GC

Rich v Port

WC V GWS

Rich vs Port is spot on whereas Rich vs Carl, Carl wear navy blue with white shorts which clashes badly when watching, the inconsistencies annoy us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you're being perhaps a touch harsh on the Hawks/Dees. I don't think there was any mixing up those two, even on the TV long shots. I'd give it a solid 6.5 to 7 on the contrastometer and thus a pass.
Normally I'd think Hawks should be in white shorts as the "lighter" team, but this one actually worked ok - mainly because Hawthorn have no white in there kit.

The North v Freo game sets us up for Cats v Eagles with Eagles in white shorts later in the year.

I'm sorry North and Geelong fans - but no team should ever wear white shorts v you guys.

It's so simple that the AFL's incompetence is so frustrating!

Normally I'd think Hawks should be in white shorts as the "lighter" team, but this one actually worked ok - mainly because Hawthorn have no white in there kit.

The North v Freo game sets us up for Cats v Eagles with Eagles in white shorts later in the year.

I'm sorry North and Geelong fans - but no team should ever wear white shorts v you guys.

It's so simple that the AFL's incompetence is so frustrating!
So i agree with this, the simple version of this for me is.

White shorts for the away team is fine provided its not adding to the clash (eg the home team has substantial white in their jumper).

North and Geelong really should just always been in white shorts and then when they play a Collingwood, Collingwood wears a full home kit.

I would say again, the home/away/third blanket rule would eliminate subjectivity on this. Until the AFL shows they can not * it constantly we shouldnt have any subjectivity.

I did have a question. We often hear this "The AFL dictates the uniforms" but given that we often hear clubs request to wear kits for games (eg sometimes teams request indigenous kit etc, i think Gold Coast did this weekend?) surely it starts with the clubs nominating and then the AFL approving?

So i agree with this, the simple version of this for me is.

White shorts for the away team is fine provided its not adding to the clash (eg the home team has substantial white in their jumper).

North and Geelong really should just always been in white shorts and then when they play a Collingwood, Collingwood wears a full home kit.

I would say again, the home/away/third blanket rule would eliminate subjectivity on this. Until the AFL shows they can not * it constantly we shouldnt have any subjectivity.

I did have a question. We often hear this "The AFL dictates the uniforms" but given that we often hear clubs request to wear kits for games (eg sometimes teams request indigenous kit etc, i think Gold Coast did this weekend?) surely it starts with the clubs nominating and then the AFL approving?

This is just some rubbish put forward by certain fans to excuse their clubs abhorrent clash strip and lack of wearing it.

There is zero chance the AFL actually dictates to club which jumper and shorts combo they are wearing for every game. It is the clubs who decide but the AFL do have the power to tell them otherwise but rarely do except for exceptional circumstances.

This is just some rubbish put forward by certain fans to excuse their clubs abhorrent clash strip and lack of wearing it.

There is zero chance the AFL actually dictates to club which jumper and shorts combo they are wearing for every game. It is the clubs who decide but the AFL do have the power to tell them otherwise but rarely do except for exceptional circumstances.
It seems the process is a pretty big issue then too.

Its always seemed far too simple that the AFL nominates and enforces strips. Probably should just be a football ops thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong already do this and have done it for many years. Any time we're playing a team with blue as one of their colours we wear white shorts at home. This means most home games we're in white shorts.

So Geelong West Coast in Geelong looked like this in 2022:

1711662561647.png

I've got no idea why North wouldn't do the same. The Fremantle game was a mess.

North have nailed it with this strip. Looks really good. Should certainly have something all blue as a clash strip. And contrasts perfectly with their home strip in all white, like Geelong.

Something really classy about the all-royal blue. A lot of soccer clubs have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back