Jumper for Indigenous Round?

Should we have an indigenous round jumper?

• Yes

Votes: 64 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 26.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Must say, in general I like the indigenous round jumpers. Tigers have been pretty good, like what Freo did last year and the Bombers sometimes get it right.

Given the crop of indigenous players on our list I would love us to jump on board. Maybe we get indigenous kids from around the Country to send in their designs and the indigenous players select the jumper they prefer and we get Adidas to manufacture it.

The successful designer gets flown over with their family for the game and put up for the weekend.

What do others think?

Voted No, but not because of it being indigenous round, just that I prefer watching us in our home strip and if I had it my way we'd wear it in every game. I think the away strip looks good, but is unnecessary and just a grab for more coin. I think the white strip is repulsive.

I think an indigenous strip could look quite good, but would only be a fan if it was locked in for to be worn in that round for at least 3 years or something.

No
I'm not a fan of the indigenous round
I understand why it is there, but this putting a race on a pedestal achieves the opposite of its intent, it segregates, rather than integrates

Agree with that. It's part of the fixture though so what about the jumper though?

Agree with that. It's part of the fixture though so what about the jumper though?
No, as it supports what I said, segregation
I don't care what race our plaer are from
I care that they are representing my club

As far as I'm concerned, you leave behind your old life when you join us, call it a cult mentality if you will

No
I understand why it is there, but this putting a race on a pedestal achieves the opposite of its intent, it segregates, rather than integrates

As far as I'm concerned, you leave behind your old life when you join us, call it a cult mentality if you will
upload_2014-4-8_16-11-45.jpeg

Must say, in general I like the indigenous round jumpers. Tigers have been pretty good, like what Freo did last year and the Bombers sometimes get it right.

Given the crop of indigenous players on our list I would love us to jump on board. Maybe we get indigenous kids from around the Country to send in their designs and the indigenous players select the jumper they prefer and we get Adidas to manufacture it.

The successful designer gets flown over with their family for the game and put up for the weekend.

What do others think?

Sounds like a great idea. Could I enter from Thailand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No

Seriously? Putting a race on a pedestal, you think that is what it is? You don't think it is about recognising and celebrating the contribution that a cultural group, one that has been historically treated like sub-humans, has made to the game? And you think it segregates, how does it do that, exactly?

Suggesting that a player should just 'leave their old life behind' when they join a football club is idiotic, by the way. The inability that many players have to just live a normal life once they leave the game should show us that it is important to remember that the players are people first and footballers second. People have families, histories, backgrounds and learn how to live a life. Members of cults tend to fall apart as people when they leave the cult behind, they don't don't know how to organise accommodation for themselves, don't know how to do basic things like pay bills, manage their money and decide for themselves what to eat each day. They also frequently don't have their families to fall back on, and so they just... fall.

Seriously? Putting a race on a pedestal, you think that is what it is? You don't think it is about recognising and celebrating the contribution that a cultural group, one that has been historically treated like sub-humans, has made to the game? And you think it segregates, how does it do that, exactly?

Suggesting that a player should just 'leave their old life behind' when they join a football club is idiotic, by the way. The inability that many players have to just live a normal life once they leave the game should show us that it is important to remember that the players are people first and footballers second. People have families, histories, backgrounds and learn how to live a life. Members of cults tend to fall apart as people when they leave the cult behind, they don't don't know how to organise accommodation for themselves, don't know how to do basic things like pay bills, manage their money and decide for themselves what to eat each day. They also frequently don't have their families to fall back on, and so they just... fall.
You missed the point I was getting at

You missed the point I was getting at
Um.

No he didn't. Your posting in this thread has a "F##k off, we're full" bumper sticker on it.

And I don't know why you liked my post.... You're the tool that Goodsey's pointing at.

No
Bullshit.
You don't understand why it's there at all.

You're the same poster who once said that you had no issues with people calling aboriginal players names, as long as it was under your breath, as you do? Are you not?

Last edited:

You're white aren't you

Well said, mate

Segregation?
No, it's a recognition of indigenous people and a tribute to the fact that they were the original Australians. And to the terrible way they were treated.

And the issues and problems they have to overcome even now

And a lesser reason is the fact that they are naturally brilliant footballers.

Go Cyril!

Like others, I'm not a big fan of the themed rounds. It's not baout being against Aboriginals or against women when it's womens round etc etc. It's just that i feel the best celebration of everyone's contribution to football is every Saturday, all over the country when black, white, male and female turn up to the hundreds of grounds around Australia to play footy or cheer on their team. To me that does a lot more than a few dots and ochre stripes on a guernsey every 12 months.

Bullshit.
You don't understand why it's there at all.

You're the same poster who once said that you had no issues with people calling aboriginal players names, as long as it was under your breath, as you do? Are you not?
Actually no
What I said was i don't pretend im perfect, and I have said the odd remark under my breath, as I know it's not acceptable, and know it's offensive

I understand it is a touchy subject, and don't pretend that we live in a perfect society, nor, do I pretend that Australia's indigenous population live in perfect conditions

I make an honest assessment of what things like indigenous round does
Behind all the fireworks, there is a lot of this country that feels they are being made to feel something that they aren't responsible for, in turn, actually segregating our society

We will never, I repeat, never, be able to do anything productive, whilst the political do-gooders push thier agenda for the sake of good pr, whilst sitting back in thier million dollar mansions
Make no mistake, that is what indigenous round actually is, a PR exercise

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...-goodes-and-bads/story-fni0ffxg-1226876076579

I suggest you read the article, it is a bit better articulated then I can put, and makes good points of what is actually being done for the id indigenous community, and how the equal rights fight may infact be detrimental for them long term

Read this and felt like id read a scene out of " rabbit proof fence " .....cant believe people still see have this view , shows we still need to do more .

Ahem, back on topic.

I'd be all for it, as long as it didn't look like that shocking Richmond strip a while ago. They had that stripey snake (?) one which was pretty cool, but then the boomerang one the year following I think it was? Looked goddamn awful in my opinion. So yeah, I'd just like it to look good. There'd be a lot of potential with the brown and gold stripes with our jumper though. I'd love to see it happen, just another way for me to give money to the club.

On a similar note, I still see that Kokoda jumper a fair bit on Hawks supporters here and there. More popular than I'd assumed.

Back