Kemp in doubt for Boxing Day

Remove this Banner Ad

He's out- what I found funny were the teams listed by the BC site- check the guy listed last for both teams...THAT'S an interesting trick!!!!

Kemp ruled out of Boxing Day Test
Second Test, Melbourne: Australia v South Africa
Match starts 2330 GMT on Sunday

Kemp will miss the chance to play before a capacity crowd
South Africa all-rounder Justin Kemp has been ruled out of the second Test with Australia in Melbourne on Boxing Day after failing a fitness test.

Kemp had to pull out of the match after missing training on Christmas Day.

Kemp will be replaced by Jacques Kallis, who has been given the all-clear to play after recovering from an elbow injury.

Opener Phil Jaques will make his debut for the hosts after Justin Langer injured his hamstring at the Waca.

South Africa manager Mickey Arthur said: "I guess it made our selection poser a little bit easier."

Arthur will make a late decision on his final line-up after inspecting the pitch on the morning of the game and he could include a spinner after playing four pacemen in Perth.

"The pitch looks a little bit browner than it did on Saturday. I think it has dried out quite nicely.

"I do like going into a Test match with a spinner. I think it gives you greater options but conditions must allow for that."

If anything, Australia are under more pressure than us going into this Test

However groundsman Tony Ware has hinted that the pitch will not take much turn, which will boost the tourists' chances of defying master leg-spinner Shane Warne again.

Tourists captain Graeme Smith believes his side's fighting performance in Perth and a relaxed attitude among his squad has left them in good shape going into Monday.

"Australia has always been a scary and daunting task for South African teams. I think in the past South Africa has probably had a big fear of failure," the opener explained.

"I think we have come to terms with that and have really enjoyed our tour of Australia so far.

"If anything, Australia are under more pressure than us going into this Test match."

The adrenalin will be running as a Victorian in a Boxing Day game

One man who could make life difficult for the Proteas is Brad Hodge, who struck a superb double-century in the first game, and is making his first appearance for the Aussies on his home ground.

He said: "I probably imagine I will be as nervous in this game as I was making my Test debut a few weeks ago.

"I think the adrenalin will certainly be running playing on the MCG as a Victorian in a Boxing Day game.

"Everything's familiar to me, it's just a short trip from my house to the MCG and it's just going to be a marvellous experience to walk out and feel the buzz."

The last time the two sides met in a Test at the MCG, a match in which Kallis was run out for 99 in South Africa's second innings, Australia won by nine wickets.

A crowd of 70,000 is expected at the newly-refurbished ground for traditionally, the biggest day in Australia's cricketing calendar.

Paceman Glenn McGrath said: "It's quite amazing being out in the middle there. I can only imagine what it will be like with a capacity crowd.

"Last year when they hadn't finished the stand it was a bit of a strange feeling bowling at the MCG.

"Now with it completed it will be something pretty awesome."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Australia (from): Ricky Ponting (capt), Matthew Hayden, Phil Jaques, Brad Hodge, Mike Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist (wkt), Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Glenn McGrath, Stuart McGill.

South Africa (from): Graeme Smith (capt), AB de Villiers, Jacques Kallis, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Rudolph, Ashwell Prince, Mark Boucher (wkt), Shaun Pollock, Andre Nel, Charl Langeveldt, Makhaya Ntini, Stuart MacGill.

Wooo we got a good spinner atlast :p

Oh and if Ash wasnt Black, he wouldnt be in the team, poor decision :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back