Toast Kudos To Brad Scott Thread !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping his head when all around seem to be losing theirs is one of his strengths.
No doubt.

I just fear we're gonna wind up in a hole in a big final and we won't have any real life experience chucking stuff around to create an unlikely win.

No doubt.

I just fear we're gonna wind up in a hole in a big final and we won't have any real life experience chucking stuff around to create an unlikely win.
I mentioned in another post that in order to win some of the next few matches the coach is gonna have to become imaginative. Now I say that because of our current injury concerns. Funny that I flick it on 7 when "Sunday Night" was on and there is Michael Willesee telling a story on how he got to interview Muhammad Ali before the Thrilla in Manila. Willesee managed to get into Ali's room and commenced to ask Ali questions without response. This was until Willesee showed some imagination in regards to a camera shot using the mirror which brought Ali to life. Ali liked that Willesee was using imagination and the importance of it and the interview commenced. I hope that the coach was watching. Sure structure is great and at 10 and 1 prior to the Geelong game I don't blame the coach for a moment going in with what worked. However when some of your key players go missing or are hampered due to injury it is a time to become a little inventitive. The same logic applies if the best laid plans are failing. You need to think on your feet. You need to become a little imagnative. After all you need to leave no stone unturned in an attempt to win. Because if you do nothing yah gonna lose anyways. :stern look

Keeping his head when all around seem to be losing theirs is one of his strengths.

We were still in it at 3/4 time and even for the first seven minutes of the last quarter if you're an optimist. And frankly it was only the lack of players to rotate that cost us in the 4th as they were too fatigued. It really shows with the lack of a sub and limited interchanges. It took until 7 minutes into the 4th for Geelong to put us away and we were a player down but also seriously hampered by in game injuries to our playing group.

I get what people are saying about his inability to adapt but I dunno if that would have helped.

More importantly why would you give up a game that you were still in (just) despite all the setbacks. Why wouldn't you back your plan and especially your side to rise to the occasion?? Less than 4 goals behind until the 7 minute mark of the 4th. Up until then why would you start piss farting around (unless maybe you had some specific back up plan you could rely on?)

Personally if it had been me I'd like to think I would have reacted to Cunners inability to stop their midfield run faster (but who really knows) and maybe put LMac into the middle (tho who plays his spot?), used Gibbo a bit quicker. Maybe put drew into the backline to free up Taz and let him cover for LMac where he can (but would that even work???)

But if I were a professional full time footy coach who thinks like Scott* I think I'd probably back the system the coaching team had developed and the players to implement it. Especially given where they sit on the ladder and the way they have played for most the last 12 months. Possibly I'd have expected Cunners to run thru that cork and tough it out (however unreasonable that might be with hindsight.)

There are a lot of people saying "we should do things the way (insert teams here) do it: blah blah blah" but we're the ones on top of the ladder. And the reason we are there is because Scott is working to his plan or vision or whatever it is.

Kudos to Kimbo too. The longer I live the more appreciate that line and the whole thing in general.

*Obviously how he coaches has to do with his personality and how he approaches situations - what level of risk does he tolerate, what value does he place in structure over spontaneity, what does he expect from his players, how does he expect them to resolve conflicts between plans and reality onfield etc etc

(but who really knows) and maybe put LMac into the middle (tho who plays his spot?), used Gibbo a bit quicker. Maybe put drew into the backline to free up Taz and let him cover for LMac where he can (but would that even work???)

The bracketed is probably the point.

We were given the chance to find out and didn't.

I am largely fine with just about everything that he does as coach. He can clearly see things I cannot.

Backs to the wall where margin for victory is slim through factors beyond our control maybe we could have used it to find out whether some of the stuff you wondered about worked.

I'm not overly disappointed with the loss TBH would have taken something ridiculously special to get us across the line.

His inability to adapt was evident.

Gameday coaching when we're not able to implement as planned is still one of his biggest issues.

Very evident.

His 'master plan' appears a very good one, better than I suspected with help from Tudor etc, but he is so vigilant in trusting that method he appears unable to adjust when it isn't working (whether players fault, or luck, or whatever).

I think we can beat the Cats on equal terms, but when it was clear we were going to lose I struggle to understand why you go down with a method that isn't (or more importantly, can't due to injury) without trying anything else.

Was a frustrating and disappointing night to not even go down swinging (so to speak), rather meekly get massively rolled with cripples in key roles and quality talls not being used elsewhere as if our players are automated robots.

Last edited:
I think we can beat the Cats on equal terms, but when it was clear we were going to lose I struggle to understand why you go down with a method that isn't (or more importantly, can't due to injury) without trying anything.

When exactly was it clear we were going to lose?

Well there is no reason why you cant start one...this has all the hallmarks of turning into another ******* mess to clean up for TT.
LOL. I think that you're a little too concerned with who posts what in whose thread. Just like the players the Coach needs his own thread. Make it happen Funky 'Toes. Ohh wait this thread will do. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. I think that you're a little too concerned with who posts what in whose thread. Just like the players the Coach needs his own thread. Make it happen Funky 'Toes. Ohh wait this thread will do. :stern look

No.

I posted on in the Bye bye thread both against or in defence.

Iirc this was the antithesis of Bye Bye.

To now come in and start bagging him after the worse loss of the season stinks of Caroesque opportunism.

And I dont think changing the title is appropriate. ..so go start a thread on Scotts tactics or something.

Stein look.

When exactly was it clear we were going to lose?

I thought half way through third quarter we were gone.

Their inaccuracy kept margin closer than reality was, we were getting massively outplayed (largely due to injury)

It was time to roll the dice, I'd rather lose by more (or turn things around) and have a crack with some risk taking than stay true to a system that clearly wasn't able to get the job done.

Last edited:
Ummm...this is a kudos thread.

Yes well the Scott fanatics said that after a loss the Bye Bye Brad thread would be bumped.

As i don't want Bye Bye Brad (yet), i thought more appropiate to disect his poor coaching effort against the Cats here instead knowing we are 10/2 :thumbsu:

Yes well the Scott fanatics said that after a loss the Bye Bye Brad thread would be bumped.

As i don't want Bye Bye Brad (yet), i thought more appropiate to disect his poor coaching effort against the Cats here instead knowing we are 10/2 :thumbsu:

Didn't say recreate BBB thread.

Kudos is not analysing a poor coaching effort.

There are a lot of people saying "we should do things the way (insert teams here) do it: blah blah blah" but we're the ones on top of the ladder. And the reason we are there is because Scott is working to his plan or vision or whatever it is.

The reason we are there is because we won certain games very well and also fell over the line in games we could easily have lost, and we've had an extremely easy draw so far.

Scott has positives, but I'd be careful to label him as the only reason we have the record we do. We also, when fit, have a very mature and talented group to work with.

I thought half way through third quarter we were gone.

Their inaccuracy kept margin closer than reality was, we were getting massively outplayed (largely due to injury)

It was time to roll the dice, I'd rather lose by more (or turn things around) and have a crack with some risk taking than stay true to a system that clearly wasn't able to get the job done.

When the margin is that close you are always a chance. We were all over the top of them, even with those injuries in the second. If you are within 4 or 5 goals you are within 5 minutes of the lead at any time. So being massively outplayed even tho we had out played them in the same circumstances less than a quarter earlier seems to me to be something that won't be fixed by moving people around. It will be fixed by people doing their jobs properly.

So from that pov we weren't out of it till the middle of the last quarter.

I don't disagree with what you're saying totally tho.

But ultimately here is how it is.

If Scott is anything he is a strategic coach. He is good at strategy and implemeting that strategy has us on top of the ladder despite a horrific injury list. You can say we haven't beaten anyone but it was us beating the Bogs that put us on top of the ladder and kept them out of the no 1 position. His strategy is working.

You and others are criticising him for not being a tactical coach.

Its obviously not his strength. It would be foolish of him to panic and start relying on his weaknesses when things go wrong.

Fair enough he needs to work long term on his weaknesses. But his strengths are working for the side at the moment. Why would he abandon them in a panic?

The reason we are there is because we won certain games very well and also fell over the line in games we could easily have lost, and we've had an extremely easy draw so far.

Scott has positives, but I'd be careful to label him as the only reason we have the record we do. We also, when fit, have a very mature and talented group to work with.

You can only win the games you play and so far we've won most of them. Without injuries we would have beaten Geelong too. (Obviously that's untestable and my opinion but it seems fairly obvious to me.) Falling over the line is still winning. Our draw has been relatively easy but not extremely easy. So what more could the coach do? 100% record? Obviously the club needs to leave some challenges for next year...

He has been building this side for years and clearly working toward a side that plays contested football and wins contests to win games. That mature and talented group are there to implement his plans and systems so he picks them for that reason. That group we have now is down to him and the rest of the coaching staff he's had. Of course the efforts they put in are exceptional and down to their efforts alone and some of them are or will be legends of the game. But they are all dancing to Scotty's tune.

Thought he spoke really well tonight.

Pity about the lame ass questions that were put forth...

They had a real opportunity to get some good answers out of Brad about not winning the close ones, has the game plan reverted back to 2013 etc etc but they chose the ******* route as per the entire media these days...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back