Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right, 2030 is really not that far away, when he retires as a much-decorated Giants player. He was welcomed straight back into the team, is very well regarded at GWS, and is grateful for the club's support. No chance he leaves. :p

Just a matter of when he comes home, seems a little forgotten as clubs clamber over others. Hawks to swoop somehow.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty sure the same claims were made last year... And then he re-signed and bizarrely all went quiet.

To be fair a bit has happened since he last put pen to paper, I can see him winning a premiership with the Giants and then requesting a trade to Hawthorn.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

No sane young player would consider Hawthorn. You have just commenced a rebuild and made one of the worst trade busts in recent memory which will further elongate your stay at the tail of the competition ladder.

Money and home cannot compensate any player for that.

If he ever left and I don't believe he will it would be to a team with some hope.

No sane young player would consider Hawthorn. You have just commenced a rebuild and made one of the worst trade busts in recent memory which will further elongate your stay at the tail of the competition ladder.

If he ever left and I don't believe he will it would be to a team with some hope.

"One of the worst trade busts in recent memory"
He is only 13 weeks in to his time at the Hawks FFS... What is the rush to write him off.
I am not saying Whitfield wants out of the Giants, or even wants to come to us. But this is just ridiculous.

What rot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

"One of the worst trade busts in recent memory"
He is only 13 weeks in to his time at the Hawks FFS... What is the rush to write him off.
I am not saying Whitfield wants out of the Giants, or even wants to come to us. But this is just ridiculous.
Well with all things combined you probably will end up paying for O'meara more than we paid Treloar

Pick 2(2017) + Pick 22(2017) + Pick 23 (2016) + Pick 36 (2016) for O'meara

Much more than Pick 7 (2015) + Pick 7 (2016) for Treloar + Pick 29(2015)

Treloar got 21 brownlow votes and came 2nd in best fairest in his first year at the pies
O'meara will probably play 5 ish games out of a possible 22 games in his first year at the hawks.

If people are calling less than 2 first rounders for Treloar as us overpaying, then Hawks trading away their future for O'meara certainly is "one of the worst busts in recent memory" like the other guy said. You can probably recruit a 25 year old brownlow medalist with Pick 2, 22, 23, 36 combined.

Well with all things combined you probably will end up paying for O'meara more than we paid Treloar

Pick 2(2017) + Pick 22(2017) + Pick 23 (2016) + Pick 36 (2016) for O'meara

Much more than Pick 7 (2015) + Pick 7 (2016) for Treloar + Pick 29(2015)

Treloar got 21 brownlow votes and came 2nd in best fairest in his first year at the pies
O'meara will probably play 5 ish games out of a possible 22 games in his first year at the hawks.

If people are calling less than 2 first rounders for Treloar as us overpaying, then Hawks trading away their future for O'meara certainly is "one of the worst busts in recent memory" like the other guy said. You can probably recruit a 25 year old brownlow medalist with Pick 2, 22, 23, 36 combined.

Worth mentioning we got a 2nd round pick back in exchange. We are also only half way through the season, those picks can still move up (very likely will not get lower). You are also assuming he will play 5 games, he has played 4 at the moment, where do you pull an extra game from? The goal is to have him playing some time later in the season, he could still get to 10 games. Even if he doesn't play another game for the rest of the season it doesn't mean it is a bust, we are not playing finals this season. All that matters is that we get his body fit long term.

My point was we will not know the result of this trade for a few years still at least. What if in 3-5 years time he is the captain of the club, winning b&f's and brownlows? A lot of people are saying the Boyd deal is worth it for the dogs because he lead them to a premiership with a good 6 weeks of footy. What if Jaeger does the same thing? How does a good 4-6 weeks at the end of a season where he wins us a premiership affect the trade?

We will not know how good or bad the trade is for the Hawks until he is no longer at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth mentioning we got a 2nd round pick back in exchange. We are also only half way through the season, those picks can still move up (very likely will not get lower). You are also assuming he will play 5 games, he has played 4 at the moment, where do you pull an extra game from? The goal is to have him playing some time later in the season, he could still get to 10 games. Even if he doesn't play another game for the rest of the season it doesn't mean it is a bust, we are not playing finals this season. All that matters is that we get his body fit long term.

My point was we will not know the result of this trade for a few years still at least. What if in 3-5 years time he is the captain of the club, winning b&f's and brownlows? A lot of people are saying the Boyd deal is worth it for the dogs because he lead them to a premiership with a good 6 weeks of footy. What if Jaeger does the same thing? How does a good 4-6 weeks at the end of a season where he wins us a premiership affect the trade?

We will not know how good or bad the trade is for the Hawks until he is no longer at the club.
The problem is EVEN in the off-chance he does become the B and F winner and brownlow medalist, you still can't claim the trade to be anything more than a decent deal considering the fact that you pretty much sold everything to get him in.

However, situations arising from the other 95% of probability will lead to a clear and substantial loss for Hawthorn.

The problem is EVEN in the off-chance he does become the B and F winner and brownlow medalist, you still can't claim the trade to be anything more than a decent deal considering the fact that you pretty much sold everything to get him in.

However, situations arising from the other 95% of probability will lead to a clear and substantial loss for Hawthorn.
A decent deal is still a long way off "one of the worst busts in recent memory"
I just don't get the rush to write him off, look back on the deal after the fact. Not before he has had a chance to prove himself.

A decent deal is still a long way off "one of the worst busts in recent memory"
I just don't get the rush to write him off, look back on the deal after the fact. Not before he has had a chance to prove himself.
Well if you want to put it that way.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a 5% chance (best case scenario) it becomes a decent deal.

Actually I'll just stop, no point making hawks supporters feel worse about the trade I'm sure you know it already.

So does our future 1st for Whitfield sound enticing or do we just get him as a free agent next year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We took him at pick one and he's developed and delivered that value. He's made it very clear he wants a future at the Giants. Pick one would be fair but it's not gonna be an option, he's staying.
Nithing offensive about wanting him, but thinking it's gonna happen is delusional.

I dont think a future 1st will be on the table. By either hawks or GWS.

I said this earlier in the thread it will be for a player or nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Suspect nothing as he has indicated he wants to stay, and he's way too good to push out the door. Hypothetically if he wanted to go then may well be player. Bruest the obvious but that moment might have passed, and I dont think he wants to. From what Leon has said we might be interested in a player with a few years left while we're in our window. He referred to the Hawks players having great years in their early thirties today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back