Recommitted Lachie Ash [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be an interesting year for Ash, at this stage worth more to GWS than a trade anyway. I just don't know what he is, is he a mid or is he a defender? Not sure he gets the ball enough.

they would still have 4 blokes taking up around 4 mil and around a third of the cap alone
coniglio
greene
kelly
whitfield

then the likes of haynes, taylor, himmelberg etc on decent coin

If the AFL was the NBA...a couple of those guys would have been traded out by now. Maybe a Bowes type deal would be benifical if they are still restricted because of these contracts. One would think the cap will be going up soon so relief is probably not far away.

Didn't GWS clear the decks a bit last year with Hopper and Taranto?
I'm guessing he stays.

Not sure if thats true.

Taranto was OOC so it was more about what he wanted imo. Hopper was probably surplus to needs.I think they have ample inside mids... and he would have been a FA at the end of 23.

Green is out at the end of the year.. so they best have dollars in their cap..as I feel others will offer him plenty.

If the AFL was the NBA...a couple of those guys would have been traded out by now. Maybe a Bowes type deal would be benifical if they are still restricted because of these contracts. One would think the cap will be going up soon so relief is probably not far away.
3 out of the 4 are their captains though so doubt they would have ever traded them if they wanted to stay

Whitfield is one they probably should have cashed out on though

That’s my point those players want to stay so gws wouldn’t trade them despite them taking up a mil each on average

and players can be persuaded too. Just as Bowe was. Its a fine line... and the Captain label is only a minor consideration for mine.

Anyway its a different thread this one is for Ash. Being OOC ... its a very different situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon he stays after a good year playing half back this year. A season ago I was thinking he could end up the best rebounding half back in the game, then he had the whole tagging cameo with low CBA's and plenty of other bizarre moves under Leon and just reckon he got lost a bit.

Think he has all the talent to be an outright gun but just needs to stick to one position for the next few years and hone his craft there.

Last edited:
well that didn’t age well did it

🤣🤣🤣

Just to add ... he is basically a local product. I hope you paid him what ever it takes ...and not get into a situation that means you have to make hard choices. Listening to him on SEN this morning he is very happy which is great to hear.

Didn't GWS clear the decks a bit last year with Hopper and Taranto?
I'm guessing he stays.

Still got 5 high profile players with way too much money for a few more years.

The good news is that signed up Tom Green for a long term deal. He was the one kid they couldn't afford to lose.

Think it could go either way with Ash, but I would lean towards him staying on at GWS at this point in time.

Still got 5 high profile players with way too much money for a few more years.

The good news is that signed up Tom Green for a long term deal. He was the one kid they couldn't afford to lose.

Think it could go either way with Ash, but I would lean towards him staying on at GWS at this point in time.
Haynes is the surprising one - bog average player these days on big money.
If the Haynes contract expires next year they'll be fine to sign more Ash-types

He is not that great a player . The ridiculous over the odds GWS pay to move up the board is why they are crap now. Ash cost 3 first rounders, Cadman 3 and 12 when they could have got him for at most 3 or 4 only. Taranto cost I think 3,16 so McCluggage and Bailey or Berry.

He is not that great a player . The ridiculous over the odds GWS pay to move up the board is why they are crap now. Ash cost 3 first rounders, Cadman 3 and 12 when they could have got him for at most 3 or 4 only. Taranto cost I think 3,16 so McCluggage and Bailey or Berry.
Beg to differ, think he's a fantastic role player with the potential to be one of the best half backs in the league if the coaching staff focused through him more. Always makes good decisions, just seems to be in the wrong position in their defence to have a real impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back