Recommitted Lachie Ash [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Beg to differ, think he's a fantastic role player with the potential to be one of the best half backs in the league if the coaching staff focused through him more. Always makes good decisions, just seems to be in the wrong position in their defence to have a real impact.
I'm an Ash STAN but this is not it, generally good in slow play with his decisions but seems to only focus on running it as far as possible when he can rather than where he wants to get the ball

He is not that great a player . The ridiculous over the odds GWS pay to move up the board is why they are crap now. Ash cost 3 first rounders, Cadman 3 and 12 when they could have got him for at most 3 or 4 only. Taranto cost I think 3,16 so McCluggage and Bailey or Berry.

I think he outright sucks. Can't defend at all and I hate his decision making.

Any time he is not taking the easy option it's a hospital pass.

This kid is getting better by the week.

I wonder if GWS would be interested in Tom De Koning ? :)

GS. Do you see this kid signing with you?
The longer he delays, the higher the risk he leaves, unfortunately. However, I think he's felt more stable in the one role under Kingsley, and his play has certainly improved. I know that some on the GWS board grizzle about him, but I see that as focussing on what he can't do rather than what he can do. I think that if he's satisfied with Kingsley's use of him, then it's more likely than not that he'll re-sign, but there's always the chance of a club throwing a big $ contract at him.

Mccartmey sermed pretty confident on Himmelberg and Ashe extending there contracts during our bye break.If nothing eventuates in next few weeks i will be worried .While he turms it over a bit he is still young and improving and will naturally improve how he uses his pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a very good season. Breakout year and just 21 years old (turning 22 on this coming Wednesday).

GWS wouldn't get a top 5 pick but would be well within their rights to demand a top 10.
They could demand that, but I'm struggling to recall a good recent precedent for that high of a draft pick for a promising half back flanker.

When was the last time a half back flanker attracted a 5-10 pick for a player who has had a "very good" season, but isn't exactly a proven match-winner?

For instance, Jordan Dawson was one of the best half bank flankers in the comp when he left the Swans, he'd shown a fair bit more than Ash has at this point in his career, and Adelaide only paid Melbourne's first rounder for him (which was Pick 18, or pick 16 if you include their matched bids).

Yes, Swans fan will argue that was unders, and fair enough too.

But in any case, if Ash made it clear to the Giants he wanted to return to Victoria, I don't think a mid-late 1st rounder should be out of the question.

EDIT: I just remembered Saad in 2020 was pick 8 with steak knives. Perhaps somewhere between his draft capital price and Dawson's is a decent comparison?

Last edited:
They could demand that, but I'm struggling to recall a good recent precedent for that high of a draft pick for a promising half back flanker.

When was the last time a half back flanker attracted a 5-10 pick for a player who has had a "very good" season, but isn't exactly a proven match-winner?

For instance, Jordan Dawson was one of the best half bank flankers in the comp when he left the Swans, he'd shown a fair bit more than Ash has at this point in his career, and Adelaide only paid Melbourne's first rounder for him (which was Pick 18, or pick 16 if you include their matched bids).

Yes, Swans fan will argue that was unders, and fair enough too.

But in any case, if Ash made it clear to the Giants he wanted to return to Victoria, I don't think a mid-late 1st rounder should be out of the question.

EDIT: I just remembered Saad in 2020 was pick 8 with steak knives. Perhaps somewhere between his draft capital price and Dawson's is a decent comparison?
Dawson was a late pick (yes, this matters when it comes to trade value for good players) and played 6 years at the Swans. Ash was pick 4 and played four years. A top 10 pick would be a minimum.

Dawson was a late pick (yes, this matters when it comes to trade value for good players) and played 6 years at the Swans. Ash was pick 4 and played four years. A top 10 pick would be a minimum.
I don't think what pick they originally were matters once they've got a decent set of games. Dawson certainly had enough his pick was irrelevant. It might have a little influence for Ash.

I think he stays at GWS, but if he is known to be seeking a return to Vic at season's end, Essendon should be right into him, assuming they lose either 1 of Redman or Parish (probably Redman) and they can on trade their compo pick (likely Band 1) to GWS for Ash.

I don't think what pick they originally were matters once they've got a decent set of games. Dawson certainly had enough his pick was irrelevant. It might have a little influence for Ash.
Maybe a little bit.

But we aren't talking about a KPP type who needs a few years to physically fill out enough to play his role.

Ash has been in the system for four years. I feel like his value should be determined by his body of work, along with any perceived upside he might have from getting a stable role in a new gameplan, rather than what he was perceived to be worth four years ago.

I'm curious where negotiations are at and whether he has a figure in mind per year to stay at GWS and the Giants have a slightly lower amount on the table. Giants have had guys on massive deals and Ash might rate himself as someone in that echelon.

Just from a pure interest in seeing how ruthless each negotiator is, will GWS buy the signature by coming up to the figure, will Ash's management pay to lock in the security accepting a lower amount.

My guess is after 4 years Ash would have sound relationships and would have no issues staying at GWS as he is getting a great run this year and playing well, but logically their will be interest, and if a significant offer came in he would consider going back to vic. GWS or any club shouldn’t pay too much overs anymore to keep. He is a excellent player starting to tract upwards and just turned 22

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm curious where negotiations are at and whether he has a figure in mind per year to stay at GWS and the Giants have a slightly lower amount on the table. Giants have had guys on massive deals and Ash might rate himself as someone in that echelon.

Just from a pure interest in seeing how ruthless each negotiator is, will GWS buy the signature by coming up to the figure, will Ash's management pay to lock in the security accepting a lower amount.

There is no offer on the table as yet. His side parked talks till now, a few others did the same which is understandable with a fresh coach and uncertainty around playing roles. I don't think we will overpay, Whitfield is signed till end of 2027 and Wehr, Cumming, Fahey, Hamilton can all play a similar role. I think Ash and Himmelberg will both get better offers to play elsewhere, up to them if they take them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back