AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Tigers my last chance: Fletcher
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
11:29:42 AM Sun 23 November, 2003

After being recruited by Richmond - his third AFL club – midfielder Simon Fletcher knows he has just been handed his last shot at senior footy.

Discarded this year by Carlton after five seasons, Fletcher thought his time at the top level was up, and he wasn’t alone. But to his delight, Fletcher received a phone call from Richmond in November inviting him to complete pre-season training with the club.

News of him being picked up by the Tigers, with the second-last selection in Saturday’s National AFL Draft, came via an ex-Carlton team mate.

“I got a phone call from Simon Beaumont who said his manager was at the draft and that he’d just rung him to say I’d just been selected. I had no idea. I was probably lucky I wasn’t listening because I would have been pretty toey by the end there,” Fletcher told afl.com.au.

“I’m 25 now, and I thought to be given the chop at this time and I’d already been at my second club, I just thought I’m going to be lucky if someone will give me a chance. And then I got the call from Richmond just to come and do pre-season, with no real guarantees or anything, and I’ve just been training really hard.”

“To be given the opportunity I’m just absolutely elated. I’m absolutely rapt. I was really disappointed, as you are, when I got delisted from Carlton and I sort of lost the fire to keep going. But to be given the chance again I’ve been training there for the last three weeks and the fire is really back and I just can’t wait to get going again. It’s fantastic.”

Fletcher played 84 games for the Blues, after spending two years playing for Geelong’s reserves team without cracking the seniors. After playing every match for the Blues in 2000, Fletcher managed just 11 under Denis Pagan in 2003.

“This is my last chance. I know that and I’ve got a year to prove myself basically, and if I can’t do it in that time that’ll be the end. So I’ve just got to go out there and give it everything I’ve got and leave nothing behind and hopefully it works out for me. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

He has played on the wing, at half-back and in attack, but was given the chance in his preferred position - the midfield - this season. But Fletcher has no idea what Richmond has in mind for him.

“I just had a chat to Danny Frawley before and he just wished me luck and told me it’s good to have you down there and that sort of thing. I’d say in the next week or two we’ll sit down and discuss where he sees me fitting in the team,” he said.

Fletcher will be joining the club on a four-day camp departing on Sunday.

Does anyone else here feel a little embarrassed by this draft choice?:eek: At the risk of sounding like Cairo Tiger surely this guy is in the Terrible Cattle category.Would have much prefered another young fellow,or even Seymour,I know he s older but at least we could use him from time to time.

Originally posted by evo
Does anyone else here feel a little embarrassed by this draft choice?:eek: At the risk of sounding like Cairo Tiger surely this guy is in the Terrible Cattle category.Would have much prefered another young fellow,or even Seymour,I know he s older but at least we could use him from time to time.

Everyone said the same about Sziller but he provided a couple of seasons of servicable minimum wage football. Fleming is another without talent but who has earnt his money. If they get the same out of Fletcher they will be happy.

Originally posted by Weaver
Everyone said the same about Sziller but he provided a couple of seasons of servicable minimum wage football. Fleming is another without talent but who has earnt his money. If they get the same out of Fletcher they will be happy.

I agree with you, weaver (again). I was thinking the same thing, that Fletcher is a lot like Sziller, who gave us 60 games of honest footy at a lowish wage. They are both honest toilers, and Fletcher only cost us pick 79 ! If he gets a game for us next year it will be because he has earned it, and I also don't think he's that bad a player.

It is going to make a difference next year to have 39 or 40 players on the list instead of 36. Greater depth, plus it allows you to carry someone like Raines until their body is strong enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back