Let's get serious about rivalries.

Remove this Banner Ad

The atmosphere at these games recently have become a joke. Collingwood supporters telling Carlton supporters hang in there and even consoling them. 🙄
Nothing worse than when they feel sorry for you.

Ive felt that way for the dockers now - wish they would hurry up and be good again so i can enjoy a derby smash

Another one of these threads where interstaters have no idea of the rivalries that have gone on since the beginning of the AFL in 1897. There's a reason Collingwood v Essendon, Richmond v Carlton, and Essendon v Richmond are all blockbusters that draw huge crowds.
Yes we have never heard of these rivalries until this very day .....

Melbourne has too many teams for rivalries to work the way they do in Perth and Adelaide. There's a 'derby' every work.

It won't and shouldn't happen now, but it'd be different if Melbourne had say 4 teams, so playing each other had a genuine event atmosphere and sell out crowds.

Geelong Collingwood has been an excellent low key rivalry of the past year 13 years or so, being some absolute belter games in that time period.

I reckon they are a personal thing more than anything, especially for the younger generation. That and they are a chance for fans of bigger clubs to feel more important than they are and only accept rivalries with certain clubs they deem worthy of their own stature.

A lot of it comes down to your own experiences with opposition fans and matches you remember.

I’d go with these as true AFL Rivalries between clubs and fans

Carlton v Collingwood is the biggest
Fremantle v West Coast
Adelaide v Port Adelaide
Geelong v Hawthorn
Carlton v Essendon
Essendon v Hawthorn
Collingwood v Melbourne
Carlton v Richmond
Collingwood v Richmond

Geelong Collingwood has been an excellent low key rivalry of the past year 13 years or so, being some absolute belter games in that time period.
I don't know - a lot of very close-but-dour games like the Round 1 scrap. Compared to the Hawthorn games we've had, it hasn't been the same exhibition of skill.

I propose the Northern Lattes, the Eastern Private Schoolboys, the Southern Oompa Loompas and the Western Git Faarkeds.
The western git farkeds instead of having team colours would wear all black and all have these sunnies

2ADFD983-0C26-456A-A238-9ED3DC2EB2FD.jpeg

They would all enquire as to “wot the * you lookin at c}#%”

I’d go with these as true AFL Rivalries between clubs and fans

Carlton v Collingwood is the biggest
Fremantle v West Coast
Adelaide v Port Adelaide
Geelong v Hawthorn
Carlton v Essendon
Essendon v Hawthorn
Collingwood v Melbourne
Carlton v Richmond
Collingwood v Richmond

Adelaide vs Port is bigger than Collingwood Carlton.

One engulfs a city, the other engulfs a section of a city with apathy from most other parts.

Adelaide vs Port is bigger than Collingwood Carlton.

One engulfs a city, the other engulfs a section of a city with apathy from most other parts.

Mate--- Melbourne's supporter base hasn't been along geographical lines in over 30 years.

Collingwood supporters definitely don't live in Collingwood anymore :p

If you think that Collingwood V Carlton or Collingwood Vs Richmond or any combination of the Big 4 only "engulfs a section of the city" you either need to return to the 1980's or learn a bit more about the culture of AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong v Hawthorn is the best Vic rivalry of the last decade, but I think the Hawks will eventually go back to being Essendons arch nemesis.

I think Crows v Port probably takes the cake.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think it's a generational thing. If you were a supporter in the eighties the Bombers thing has never gone. The younger gen understandably go with their experience.

I really struggled to warm to Sheedy as our inaugural coach at first, but with hindsight I think he was an inspired choice.

Essendon v Hawks were bigger than Cats when Matthew Lloyd was playing
There was a lot more nastiness when Bombers v Hawks

Pretty much. And I think in the long term it will go back to Bombers.

Whilst I dislike Geelong, I do hold a level of respect for them. I look forward to the Hawks/Cats games as they are always a spectacle.

I have no respect for the Bombers as a team or an organisation. It makes it much easier to 'hate' them, therefore I feel that the Hawks/Bombers rivalry will be the one that 'lasts'.

Mate--- Melbourne's supporter base hasn't been along geographical lines in over 30 years.

Collingwood supporters definitely don't live in Collingwood anymore :p
The epicentre of Collingwood support is Thomastown, the epicentre of Carlton support is Pascoe Vale, but the epicentre of Hawthorn's support is still bloody Hawthorn ;)

I'm surprised Crows V Eagles is not a bigger rivalry. Both original teams from Perth and Adelaide and the biggest clubs in the AFL.
It's actually a bit of a love in between them.

There are similarities in the history, except the Eagles were very much a planned and wanted baby.

The Crows are more the result of a burst condom, whose parents learnt to love It anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back