Player Watch Liam McMahon (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie - played around 40 games in the 2nds before getting a game in the seniors. Haw delay exposing young kids to early so it’s no risk at all.
The great Micheal Tuck played 50 reserves games for Hawthorn before going on to play 426 senior games, most finals played in history, (39) most Grand Finals,(11) .and most Premierships (7) Amazing career

The great Micheal Tuck played 50 reserves games before going on to play 426 senior games, most finals played in history, (39) most Grand Finals,(11) .and most Premierships (7) Amazing career
Hawthorn made all its players serve an apprenticeship in the reserves before giving them AFL games. Where other teams at least gave players a taste of senior footy in their first year or two, Hawthorn was miserly with their AFL appearances, but they were at the time a powerhouse in the AFL. Making players wait to play senior footy was a strategy that seemed very effective for them.

I think the best approach is to take each player on a case by case basis

If player mentally ready, good enough, there is a position to fill, then pick him. If not, leave him in the VFL til ready.

Age or experience irrelevant. How many arguing to leave him to develop in the VFL will scream for Nick to play round 1 next year.

Last edited:

I think the best approach is to take each playeron a case by case basis.good enough

If player mentally ready, good enough, there is a position to fill, then pick him. If not, leave him in the VFL til ready.

Age or experience irrelevant. How many arguing to leave him to develop in the VFL will scream for Nick to play round 1 next year.

Regardless of anyone’s take on McMahon all of us will be asking for a 19 yo top 3 pick that could have been in the frame to play round 1 this year to be playing round 1 next year. That’s not to mention that Daicos is already more advanced than McMahon.

There u18 years were yes.
Hogan didn't play u18 in his last year as he was taken as one of the underagers. That year, he played some excellent footy in the VFL for Melbourne. Daniher was an underage gun. Both were outstanding as youngsters when they first played in the AFL. I reckon they were the two most talented KPF to hit the AFL in the last 12 years.

Last edited:
I think the best approach is to take each playeron a case by case basis.good enough

It's risk v reward.

There are lots of talented talls who got thrown to the wolves too early and got completely outmuscled and smashed in every contest then ended up losing their confidence and losing their belief that they will make it at AFL level and it ends up really hurting their career.

It does depend on the player, guys who rely on outmuscling their opponents but are currently quite skinny should be groomed in the 2nds until they have 1 or 2 preseasons in the gym, others who can use speed and leap like the King brothers or Buddy can impact straight away. There's also the mental side, some guys crave a challenge while others will panic if they don't feel prepared.

Let him develop in the VFL we have options that at this stage are ahead of him Cox, Cameron, Mihocek, Kelly and maybe Moore. If he knocks door down play him otherwise let him settle maybe give him some games end of year to give him a taste although I dont think we should play him in our last game of the year as you need bigger bodies for grand finals.

Ben King played 14 games and kicked 17 goals in his 1st year but for every Ben King there's a couple of Harry McKay types who debuted in his 2nd season, played 2 games, kicked 3 goals.

I don’t think it’s fair to bring Ben King into a discussion on debut seasons of 18yo’s playing consistently good footy. If anything I think Ben fits more with him receiving games early because his numbers were consistently average with a couple of standouts (10 of his 17 goals came in only 3 of his 14 matches). It’s basically what we still get from Cox. If he were at a proper AFL club he would have played a lot less senior footy in year 1.

Let him develop in the VFL we have options that at this stage are ahead of him Cox, Cameron, Mihocek, Kelly and maybe Moore. If he knocks door down play him otherwise let him settle maybe give him some games end of year to give him a taste although I dont think we should play him in our last game of the year as you need bigger bodies for grand finals.

I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near enough of Kelly to make that call, I would 100% be playing McMahon forward ahead of our AA CHB and if he hits the scoreboard over the next fortnight he’ll quickly move past Cameron who is a ruckman.

I think there are lessons to be learned from how Melbourne chose to develop Watts early in his career. I'd be letting McMahon have a couple of preseasons to develop physically and to hone his craft in the VFL before considering him. I think that's the most likely route for McMahon.

It's risk v reward.

There are lots of talented talls who got thrown to the wolves too early and got completely outmuscled and smashed in every contest then ended up losing their confidence and losing their belief that they will make it at AFL level and it ends up really hurting their career.

It does depend on the player, guys who rely on outmuscling their opponents but are currently quite skinny should be groomed in the 2nds until they have 1 or 2 preseasons in the gym, others who can use speed and leap like the King brothers or Buddy can impact straight away. There's also the mental side, some guys crave a challenge while others will panic if they don't feel prepared.

It is a myth.

Did Jack Watts never reach expectations cause he was smashed in his first contest against the Pies? No, he was just overrated when drafted and lacked a real competitive drive.

Did Johnathon Brown lose confidence and never make it after not getting a touch on debut?

Did Graham Gooch never recover from getting a pair on debut?

It is a ruthless sport. If these kids who debuted early never made it I would suggest it has more to do with their overall talent and resilience, not when they debuted. They wouldnt have made it regardless of when they debuted.

Who are these lots anyone? Names?

I think there are lessons to be learned from how Melbourne chose to develop Watts early in his career. I'd be letting McMahon have a couple of preseasons to develop physically and to hone his craft in the VFL before considering him. I think that's the most likely route for McMahon.
But if you hold a player back you end up stifling them

Watts was just not as good as people thought when drafted and weighed down by expectation. He also lacked real aggression. Watts would have been Watts whenever he debuted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's risk v reward.

The good news with McMahon is that from reports he’s a smart player who knows where to lead and isn’t reliant on out muscling his opponent. While he’s a few years off being a number 1 target, he’s exactly the type of tall we’ve been screaming out for, and the type who could make an effective 2nd/3rd tall while developing his frame.

Im happy to see him play VFL until the club feels he’s ready, but I don’t think some senior exposure this year will hurt him given the way he plays.

I think the problem with Watts was that he was such a high profile draftee that teams targeted him, and Melbourne were relying on him as their messiah, a nasty mix for a new draftee. McMahon won’t have any of that on his shoulders as a draftee taken in the 30’s. If the club deems him ready then we should be comfortable with that imo. I’m tipping a mid year debut with a handful of games.

Watts was just not as good as people thought when drafted and weighed down by expectation. He also lacked real aggression. Watts would have been Watts whenever he debuted.

I think Melbourne failed to develop him appropriately early on and it seriously affected any chance he had of making it at AFL level.

I think Melbourne failed to develop him appropriately early on and it seriously affected any chance he had of making it at AFL level.

Perhaps, but was that on or off the field?

Did when he debuted have any really impact? I doubt it. I would suggest it was a range of factors other than when he first ran on to the park in anger.

Hogan didn't play u18 in his last year as he was taken as one of the underagers. That year, he played some excellent footy in the VFL for Melbourne. Daniher was an underage gun. Both were outstanding as youngsters when they first played in the AFL. I reckon they were the two most talented KPF to hit the AFL in the last 12 years.

The kings were regularly kicking bags of 9 to 11 goals.

Ben was doing it at both ends.

Yes the other 2 were highly talented but who was more id back kings form in for producing more.

Hitting those heights yes but the hit 4 and 5 goal hauls with many missed enough to show it wasn't a fluke.

The other 2 mentioned did it... nonce.

You said regularly though which is incorrect. It was also school footy. It’s very hard to find records, but I would be certain Hogan kicked a bag of at least 10 if he ever played at that level ditto Daniher. For context Grien Myers kicked double the goals at NAB league level of both Kings combined.*

*I’m all in on the King’s. I’m just one that’s not convinced the output matches the hype yet.

Hitting those heights yes but the hit 4 and 5 goal hauls with many missed enough to show it wasn't a fluke.

The other 2 mentioned did it... nonce.
In his under 18 year, Jesse Hogan was kicking bags of 5 and 6 for Casey in the VFL, against men without rules to make KPF look good. The Kings were and are great prospects, but as a junior Hogan was ready made. His career is such a shame.

Man strength and body vs boys, so no maybe its not.

Happy for you to disagree but craft and skills are at a minimum equally important. Just as with strength, they to take time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back