Toast Lindsay Thomas Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

From an outside perspective I think he was a success as a recruitment
He cost you nothing and was serviceable in most of his games
Got more bang for your buck in 2018 than Watts and Rockcliff

Yes it was dirty but seeing the tagging hack S.Selwood get flattened was nearly worth it

Remember a couple of Friday night games circa 2011/2012 when Thomas set the comp alight was a real matchwinner at times then

Nothing against Lindsay, I like the guy and thought he had a few nice moments this year, but why did we go after him at the end of last year if he was only going to play one season?
Unless he stays at the club in some sort of mentoring role, it was a bit of a pointless exercise and a spot that could have been used to develop a youngster.

Nothing against Lindsay, I like the guy and thought he had a few nice moments this year, but why did we go after him at the end of last year if he was only going to play one season?
Unless he stays at the club in some sort of mentoring role, it was a bit of a pointless exercise and a spot that could have been used to develop a youngster.

While it's a valid point, he's been an old-timey bank vault filled with gold bars compared to the ghost of Trent McKenzie.

With no stand out team heading into season 2018 we clearly thought we were a decent chance at the flag given the other recruits that came on board. It made perfect sense in theory, even for one season.

What actually happened this year though and the reasons why has been done to death and doesn’t need repeating.

While it's a valid point, he's been an old-timey bank vault filled with gold bars compared to the ghost of Trent McKenzie.

At least he's in the right age bracket and we kind of shoehorned him in a key defender role so I'm doubtful hes been utilized properly.

He did clear Allan Scott HQ with a nice dob though.. season highlight

Banking on one of Steve Hocking's pearls of wisdom being the implementation of a designated free kicker rule, or failing that, the goalsquare being extended by 100 metres.

McKenzie we could at least argue that he might have had a role to play if not for his injuries. I'm more concerned with the utterly pointless one year extensions we gave to Toumpas, Snelling and Hewett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club thought we were topping up for a possible deep finals run and it backfired.

Club thought we were topping up for a possible deep finals run and it backfired.
We did fringe-scape as well i'm not sure Thomas and Trengove would've got a go otherwise it probably saved Toump for one more year as well.

I'm ok with getting him in. He did play a role for us, no matter how small and we possibly gambled on perhaps eeking out another season with some management. The suspension was a bit of a fly in the ointment but i doubt anyone here was disappointed seeing him get physical on the field wearing our guernsey.

There's also a cultural value in bringing someone like Lindsay back to the club, however brief it may have been.

From a broader AFL community perspective, I think the arrangement that North and Port came to around him was also a good thing.

tl;dr Yes we've made list management mistakes, but this was not one of them.

I'm of the view that this was purely a list management decision. We had secured extra picks in this year's draft without a lot of players due to come out of contract. If we took additional late pick draftees last year to complete our list they would have had 2 year contracts. By topping up with players like Thomas, McKenzie and Trengrove with 1 year contracts we added some depth that was expendable at the end of this year. Turns out however that we have plenty of options for clearing list spots as some players haven't come on as expected.

McKenzie we could at least argue that he might have had a role to play if not for his injuries. I'm more concerned with the utterly pointless one year extensions we gave to Toumpas, Snelling and Hewett.
Because if we'd ditched them we'd have been offering 2 year draft contracts to picks 90,91 and 92 and unable to off-load them this year. We're still suffering from the lack of ruthlessness at the end of 2014 / 2015 / 2016 (/2017 gets a partial credit to (finally) trade out Lobbe whilst under contract). We can't turn over the list all in one go, the draft isn't that deep. We failed to cut deep enough across 2014-2016 and completely failed to trade anyone whilst they had currency (Lobbe, Hartlett, even O'Shea end of 2014 would have netted us something).

It would be better if the magpies didn't have awful restrictions and Lindsay could hang around as a top up player, like another half dozen or so AFL retired.

I suspect the one and only 'senior SANFL player' spot might be being kept warm a few years for whenever we ditch SGray.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back