News 2023 Leadership Group Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

We are basically judging players leadership qualities with how good a player they are, it’s actually ridiculous. No one knows what these guys are like behind closed doors. The players would’ve had a say I would’ve imagined. If the players wanted Ollie or didn’t feel TJ was the right man for the job the change would’ve been made.

I actually think TJ has done a decent job as captain. But that’s clearly an unpopular opinion on here.

DBJ was an all Australian in 2020 playing the true port Adelaide way. His form has slumped but it wasn’t as massive of a drop off as being made out on here.

Tom Harley captained a team of superstars and he had no special qualities about him as a player but he was consistent and reliable.

Jesus Christ is not that bad.

Plenty of leaders in the team that don’t need the title too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are basically judging players leadership qualities with how good a player they are, it’s actually ridiculous. No one knows what these guys are like behind closed doors. The players would’ve had a say I would’ve imagined. If the players wanted Ollie or didn’t feel TJ was the right man for the job the change would’ve been made.

I actually think TJ has done a decent job as captain. But that’s clearly an unpopular opinion on here.

DBJ was an all Australian in 2020 playing the true port Adelaide way. His form has slumped but it wasn’t as massive of a drop off as being made out on here.

Tom Harley captained a team of superstars and he had no special qualities about him as a player but he was consistent and reliable.

To an extent I agree with this, but DBJ and Jonas are both (or should be) skating on wafer thin ice. Having 2 out of 3 players in your leadership group that could be worthy of being dropped by round 4 is terrible management. Wines will be 29 by next season. The captaincy should virtually bypass him now. I really don't understand the decision. Captain/VC of Wines/ Houston should be a no brainer. Rozee/Butters as co deputies. Wines is absolutely the leader now and the other 3 are the most frequent players doing media.

Come on guys, trust us. Just because this leadership group has done nothing to inspire any confidence in the past, there's no evidence post suggest that 2023 won't be different. That's the trouble with Port fans: they're a cynical lot......

I'm not looking for the best player on the ground to be captain, I want the best leader same as you.

However, I do want someone that is reliably best 22.

While I know these aren't all exact like for likes and some may position switch, but I'd be easily picking Burton, Houston, Jase, Bergman, AA, TJ, Cluz, Farrell ahead of DBJ. Pasini, Sinn and Lachie Jones I'd hope would go past him this year too, and if it was close I'd pick them due to potential. McKenzie I'd have as neck and neck with him and I'd probably give the edge to the cannon.

I haven't given up on DBJ, we saw from his AA season that he can play, but his role this year should be starting in the 2s and re-gaining that form. Right now he is probably the 25th-30th best player on our list. We've just added extra responsibilities to his workload and made him undroppable and this could hurt us onfield.

Darcy Byrne-Jones in the leadership group... now that's funny. I can name about 5 others ahead of DBJ who are leadership material.
SMFH about this one .... I thought it was Rozee til I zoomed in.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

DBJ, I think many of you underrate his effect on the game! Many comments are way over the top IMHO. But that is not to say he should be a VC. I also can't quite see it - maybe he is an excellent organiser?
I'm sorry this made me burst out laughing

But you're probably right. It wouldn't be un-Port like to put the guy who always creates the poll in the group chat, or books the table, or schedules the golf tee time, or organises the lads weekend itinerary...into a position of leadership.

Publicly declare a premiership is the goal for 2022.

Finish 11th.

Keep the same chairman.

Keep the same CEO.

Keep the same coach.

Keep the same captain.

Keep the same vice captains.

Hold the course boys, Greatness™ awaits.
And all this after a far-reaching and access-all-areas review of our biggest underachieving season ever ...

Jonas lost me when he sarcastically berated anyone who dared question whether Wines should've been partaking in a relatively dangerous leisure activity on the eve of a football season where he was about to be paid maybe $700k to co-captain an AFL team. Aside from coming across as a tosser, those comments indicate that he lacks the professional mindset required to fulfil his potential as a footballer, which certainly is not the type of person you want leading your club.

The fact that Ollie later admitted it was a dumb thing to do and then 2 years later won a Brownlow just makes Jonas look laughable.

Although Tredders had kind of already taken over by then, technically speaking it was Matthew Primus.

Which was forced due to injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You speak as though we haven't got a track record with this set up to pass judgement by, both Jonas and DBJ have been in this exact situation before and neither have succeeded in their roles nor do they play at the level we need or expect, it the same old same old.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Sort of to a degree. This isn't cricket, the Captain isn't having any input into how the team sets up or plays. There's only two things, IMO, to judge a Captain on:
1. Their media work. An unfortunate reality these days, that the Captain is there with the coach to 'sell' the club. We, as supporters, have been insulted and belittled by Jonas and players whilst he's been Captain, for daring to demand success. So on the first measure he's an abject failure.

2. More importantly, which partly relates to how good a player they are, is how they inspire their teammates on the ground, when things are tough. To use an example, can anyone here see Jonas, sick with flu, not only play, but put in a performance like Tredrea against Essendon, showing his teammates that nothing, NOTHING, was going to stand in the way of victory that night, when he was sick as a dog? Jonas is about as inspirational as a company mission statement made up by a committee.

These two are why he shouldn't be Captain. His form is why he shouldn't be considered best 22.

Status quo, nothing to see here, everything is fine, battler captain for a "wittle" battler club

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon you are probably old enough to remember a bloke named Neville Thiele who played mainly at chb or as a bullocking follower for the Maggies in the mid 60's to early 70's.

Similar physique and skillset to Jonas and very vocal on the field, in particular when organising the defence, but he would have had zero chance of being named captain, vice captain or even dvc for the Maggies.

Re the skillset comparison, I'm not too sure that TJ could execute a raking 65 plus metre drop kick on the run which took the ball from deep in defence to well inside half forward at the southern end, and even drew applause from the blue rinse set in the Unley oval member's stand, high praise indeed!

Same bloke, same game with arms outstretched held back two sturt opponents on the left half forward flank northern end grand stand side so `Blinky' Nyland could ball in hand dash through the space he created and head straight towards goal, with Russell Ebert who was about 5 metres behind Thiele barking instructions.

Fine with this.

Let them run through this season and see who steps up for 2024 under Carr.

Would have been good to see a better third to be fair. DBJ should be working his way in to the side via the SNAFL if he is up to it.
Yup, no point appointing a new captain if the coach will change.

IF

DBJ being put into the leadership team for his onfield style and leadership to then have his onfield style curtailed because he is in the leadership team is a prerfect analogy of where the club is at under Hinkley and Koch!

The worrying thing is that there isn't an obvious group behind that lot that are banging the door down. Fair enough, it's too early for Butters and Rozee, but Burton, Houston, Drew and maybe even Todd Marshall should be in consideration.

The worrying thing is that there isn't an obvious group behind that lot that are banging the door down. Fair enough, it's too early for Butters and Rozee, but Burton, Houston, Drew and maybe even Todd Marshall should be in consideration.
What’s this boards obsession with putting fringe players as potential leadership positions? Drew could be in the sanfl for most of the year.

Publicly declare a premiership is the goal for 2022.

Finish 11th.

Keep the same chairman.

Keep the same CEO.

Keep the same coach.

Keep the same captain.

Keep the same vice captains.

Hold the course boys, Greatness™ awaits.
But, but, we had an injured ruckman. Probably the 15th best ruck in the comp and he's back! How could we possibly be stopped now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back