List Mgmt. List changes, contract status and key dates - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Delistings are always tough and there is probably a case for every delisted player since year dot to have been retained.

I feel more for Joyce than Ballenden.

Ballenden got a few opportunities but never really seized them like a top player would have.

I think Joyce is more a victim of the Covid restricted VFL comp that never got off the ground in 2021. He, like so many other players at all clubs were disadvantaged by lack of opportunities.

You have bagged Matho and CEY but the nature of list management is conservatism. Both these fellas have actually shown something in the past and are at least, good solid depth. I have absolutely no idea how you can justify a claim that Joyce "is already a better onballer than Matho right now" or that neither he or CEY will add anything to our future premiership "window"

My own view is that, over the years ,the club has pretty much got their list management decisions spot on.

There haven't been many players let go, traded or de-listed that I can remember since 1997 that have turned out to be stars of the competition or come back to haunt us as "oh no what have we done" facepalms.

Headland, Cupido, Sherman, Brennan, Karnezis, Aish, Longer, Schache, Molloy, ,Rischitelli, are a few names that walked or were traded that didn't play to the level that they did when they were Lions players. Or at least, didn't exceed their reputations

Elliott Yeo is one we would like to have back but when the player ups and offs because he wants to be with his mates back in Perth, there's not a lot can be done.

There is also Docherty who walked to Carlton but who has been plagued by injury.

I'll back the club in with their list management decisions or at least until such time as they are proven grossly incorrect
Mate, I haven't "bagged" Matho and CEY, but we know what they are. They're good solid footballers........who won't play another senior game for the club. Personally I'd keep Matho as captain of the VFL team and awesome team man but how is CEY going to play with Robertson, Rayner and others getting more time onball.
We've seen some of the skill and ability of Joyce and I want to see what he can do given continuity and fitness.

Mate, I haven't "bagged" Matho and CEY, but we know what they are. They're good solid footballers........who won't play another senior game for the club. Personally I'd keep Matho as captain of the VFL team and awesome team man but how is CEY going to play with Robertson, Rayner and others getting more time onball.
We've seen some of the skill and ability of Joyce and I want to see what he can do given continuity and fitness.
I would back Matho in to play more senior footy.

I was pretty keen to see how Ely Smith was going to go in the seniors this year until injury stopped him in his tracks. If he doesn't get a game this year will we delist him? Its pretty hard to get into our midfield at the moment.

I was pretty keen to see how Ely Smith was going to go in the seniors this year until injury stopped him in his tracks. If he doesn't get a game this year will we delist him? Its pretty hard to get into our midfield at the moment.
At this stage I believe so, definitely a big season for Ely.

When did you join the selection panel?

This years FA list for all clubs : Every 2022 free agent revealed, your club's crunch re-signings

Brisbane
Darcy Gardiner
Ryan Lester
Daniel McStay
Dayne Zorko
Cam Ellis-Yolmen^
Mitch Robinson*

*Previously delisted
^Previously a free agent

This years FA list for all clubs : Every 2022 free agent revealed, your club's crunch re-signings

Brisbane
Darcy Gardiner
Ryan Lester
Daniel McStay
Dayne Zorko
Cam Ellis-Yolmen^
Mitch Robinson*

*Previously delisted
^Previously a free agent
Ages of those players when 2023 season starts >

Darcy Gardiner 27 - Would get offers IMO although not big enough dollars to tempt him to move.
Ryan Lester 30 - Nah, I think Ryan would retire if we didn't offer an extension.
Daniel McStay 27 - If he has a really good 2022 season could get a tempting offer, I'd back him to stay.
Dayne Zorko 34 - No one is offering a 34 year old a contract except us.
CEY 30 - Unvaccinated heretic, can't play.
Mitch Robinson 33 - Ditto as per Zorks.
Daniel Rich 32 - No way Richy would leave after sticking with us through such a long long bad stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ages of those players when 2023 season starts >

Darcy Gardiner 27 - Would get offers IMO although not big enough dollars to tempt him to move.
Ryan Lester 30 - Nah, I think Ryan would retire if we didn't offer an extension.
Daniel McStay 27 - If he has a really good 2022 season could get a tempting offer, I'd back him to stay.
Dayne Zorko 34 - No one is offering a 34 year old a contract except us.
CEY 30 - Unvaccinated heretic, can't play.
Mitch Robinson 33 - Ditto as per Zorks.
Daniel Rich 32 - No way Richy would leave after sticking with us through such a long long bad stretch.
Im worried about McStay and the $$$ he will get offered by Vic clubs to come home. Will really stretch our cap to hold him unless he stays for less but it is kinda his pay day contract opportunity to get 4 years and set himself up for life. I'm hoping like heck we can get him signed and sealed and off the table asap.

Im worried about McStay and the $$$ he will get offered by Vic clubs to come home. Will really stretch our cap to hold him unless he stays for less but it is kinda his pay day contract opportunity to get 4 years and set himself up for life. I'm hoping like heck we can get him signed and sealed and off the table asap.
Honestly can’t see McStay being offered “set for life” type money.

To throw a dollar figure out there, maybe he’s offered something like $600k a year.

To throw a dollar figure out there, maybe he’s offered something like $600k a year.

I think he could get higher than that with a 40+ goal season. He's more than just goal kicking. If he can combine his around-the-ground work with 40+ goals he'll probably be a top ten KPF in the comp.

Key Forwards don’t grow on trees, if he has a really good year I could see him being offered 7-750k over 4.
Especially a team that are struggling for key forwards.
A team like StKilda if they don’t get Ben King.
Collingwood if they can clear some cap space.
Maybe even West Coast if they can’t convince Darling to get the jab.

I think he could get higher than that with a 40+ goal season. He's more than just goal kicking. If he can combine his around-the-ground work with 40+ goals he'll probably be a top ten KPF in the comp.
he has got to get to 40 goals first, but absolutely showed some positive signs last season kicking just under 30. I am still a bit worried about those relatively easy set shots, but the roaming role, and that link play he offers the team is ideal for him and we might just see a breakout season.

I agree on his talent, but I don't think in our team he will get the opportunities to kick 40+ in the role he usually plays when Hippy is fit. 40+ goals would have him in the top 20 goalkickers in the comp on 2021 numbers, and its hard to see us having 3+ players in that category (Charlie and Joe will continue to be our primary goalkickers, and hippy when fit is clear third).

Based on no info at all I feel pretty good about retaining Dan - I feel like the team really values what he does and will want to keep him around.

I agree on his talent, but I don't think in our team he will get the opportunities to kick 40+ in the role he usually plays when Hippy is fit. 40+ goals would have him in the top 20 goalkickers in the comp on 2021 numbers, and its hard to see us having 3+ players in that category (Charlie and Joe will continue to be our primary goalkickers, and hippy when fit is clear third).

Based on no info at all I feel pretty good about retaining Dan - I feel like the team really values what he does and will want to keep him around.

I think Dan will stay for under market value. He loves Brisbane, is very loyal to the club and will likely be part of a team that's contending for several years.

A lot of key forwards high up in this draft, also a lot of good key forwards around the league already so I don’t think they’re as rare as people make out. Most of the best offences in the league have a pretty even spread of forwards without too many stand outs so I don’t think teams will be offering McStay a contract outside of what we could match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back