Gaming Madden 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Madden I've played since 09...

playing franchise mode as a QB for the LA Rams.

3rd season in and i made playoffs, finishing second in the division and conference!

but still had to travel for wildcard weekend and lost to the bears :(

Rushing is too easy on this. Constantly getting 150-200 yards rushing in games

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Sounds like my game then, I'm more of a rusher than a passer :D. I tend to only pass on 4th down, hail mary attempts! I'm not good at catching the ball :( even with no defenders coming at me lol.

I'm slowly playing catch up, have gone through Madden 14, 15 and 16 (thanks to EA Access). Will play 17 when it hits the vault.

I tend to play some Maddens ok, but others horrible. Was a gun at Madden 93... didn't play the series again until the late 90's (loved '97, was useless at 98 and 99 on the playstation). Played 2001 on both pc and ps2. Outside of Madden 93, Madden 04 would be my favourite ever Madden game (it's the version I sank the most hours into playing season after season... heck even after 05 and 06 which I also purchased on ps2/pc... I still went back to 04). I did get Madden 07-08-09 on the 360. Preferred 08 the most, skipped 10, purchased 11.

The big decisions thing is a load of rubbish. Most of the game is re branding features that have been there for years and to much of the game is arcade as opposed to a proper simulation. I'd stopped playing madden years ago, started playing FIFA and never looked back. Got this on the cheap through gumtree (I didn't want to give madden developers any of my money, no trust for that lot) and very quickly learned why I gave up on it for FIFA in terms of how the game plays and the franchise/manager modes.

To me it's not really much of a jump forward from when I used to play years ago. Feels almost the exact same. It's a shame because I had an itch for and NFL game and had high hopes that the game would have moved forward since I stopped.

Although I find the commentary is very good, very smooth. I really enjoyed that aspect, along with the rest of the presentation in general.

What engine are they using now? What game currently uses frostbite engine? How does frostbite different -- or how would it improve Madden from the current engine?

Ignite. they started using it about 4 years ago.

Frostbite is what EA use for the shooters and moved FIFA over lastyear. It should have better collision mechanics and will need to build some from scratch. Player models and other assets should also look better in frostbite. Textures will be more detailed so should have more than 1 character model on the sidelines and 3 in the stands.

It will take a few years till everything is improved as they learn the new engine. but physics should be the biggest improvment unless they just ported the old mechanics over and will slowly rebuild them [which wouldnt shock me with EA]

Ignite. they started using it about 4 years ago.

Frostbite is what EA use for the shooters and moved FIFA over lastyear. It should have better collision mechanics and will need to build some from scratch. Player models and other assets should also look better in frostbite. Textures will be more detailed so should have more than 1 character model on the sidelines and 3 in the stands.

It will take a few years till everything is improved as they learn the new engine. but physics should be the biggest improvment unless they just ported the old mechanics over and will slowly rebuild them [which wouldnt shock me with EA]

So basically skip Madden 18, 19 and maybe 20.

Frostbite works much better for fifa. Feels like it plays allot smoother and there is actually emphasis on strength. Speed doesn't dominate like previous years. It's still an advantage, but not as much as it was previously.

Ever since they added the aggressive catch and all that s**t I've stopped playing madden.
Ncaa football is where it's at.
Going for 6 straight national titles with Memphis right now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Pretty practical feature I think

Its not too bad now, but when it was introduced you could just run 4 verts every play and kill any D if you had a tall WR with good CIT rating.

Its still overpowered but nowhere near as bad.

NCAA games always felt better, you could use the entire playbook in no huddle and they actually had a good run block system. Madden used it for like 1 year and ditched it.
Wont ever see a NCAA game again. i think there are 2 unlicensed CBF games getting made but expect them to ever happen. best bet is for the power 5 conferences to split away from the NCAA and form a new league where they can play players and sell players likeness. but that wont happen anytime soon [if ever]

has anyone got a link for explaining defences in simple terms?

i.e which is the best defence formation for stopping the run for a team like dallas or Tennessee

which is best for a short passing game, which is best against long passes (tampa 2?)

what is the best against a team like Pittsburgh who have long range weapons but also excellent running game with Bell

just simple concepts explained for each Defense

has anyone got a link for explaining defences in simple terms?

i.e which is the best defence formation for stopping the run for a team like dallas or Tennessee

which is best for a short passing game, which is best against long passes (tampa 2?)

what is the best against a team like Pittsburgh who have long range weapons but also excellent running game with Bell

just simple concepts explained for each Defense

Don't have a link, but based on my own experiences on Madden, there are two different scenarios. Scenario one is when you're playing against a computer.

Against a computer, blitz the hell out of the QB. My personal preference is to play a zone behind the rush. I generally use a mix between cover 2 and cover 3. Of course, if teams start to load one side with receivers, going zone can leave you vulnerable especially in the slot, so unless you have real speedy receivers, you might need to audible to a man concept in that situation.

Against another person though, the game gets a lot tricker, because unless you have a rough idea of their tendencies, you can be scrambling a bit. I still advocate blitzing (especially with the strong side safety when playing cover 3) to 'force' the opposition to get the ball out quick. I personally prefer zones when against humans because slants, crosses etc are SOOOOO easy to beat in Madden when playing against man coverage.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask more questions where you have them.

Don't have a link, but based on my own experiences on Madden, there are two different scenarios. Scenario one is when you're playing against a computer.

Against a computer, blitz the hell out of the QB. My personal preference is to play a zone behind the rush. I generally use a mix between cover 2 and cover 3. Of course, if teams start to load one side with receivers, going zone can leave you vulnerable especially in the slot, so unless you have real speedy receivers, you might need to audible to a man concept in that situation.

Against another person though, the game gets a lot tricker, because unless you have a rough idea of their tendencies, you can be scrambling a bit. I still advocate blitzing (especially with the strong side safety when playing cover 3) to 'force' the opposition to get the ball out quick. I personally prefer zones when against humans because slants, crosses etc are SOOOOO easy to beat in Madden when playing against man coverage.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask more questions where you have them.

cheers mate, appreciate the detailed response, Im mainly playing against the computer at the moment so will take some of that advice onboard

If you want to go all out stopping the run, use the 46 or variants of 4-3 or 3-4 that stack the LOS.
If you want to defend the pass, depends how many receivers they have out there.
If it's a standard 2 WR set, then you go with the 4-3 or 3-4
If it's a 3 WR set, you will use a Nickel formation from either their 4-3 or 3-4 (or the many other variants)
If it's a 4 WR set, you will use a Dime formation (again as above)

But...

You should understand your roster first. You shouldnt be switching between the 4-3 and 3-4 from down to down. You have to decide what your best players in the front seven are, and use the appropriate formation 4-3 or 3-4. And then just stick with that for most your play calls. And then just every now and then you can use the 46 (or variants) when you really want to stop the run or blitz the QB heavy from time to time. Of course, when you're defending the goalline then you'd use a goalline formation.

Personally....I preferred playing the 3-4 formation because you can do so much more with it than the 4-3, in both defending the pass and run. With assortments of confusing blitzes. But you have to put your best players in the right positions -- like if the team you're using is set up for the 4-3 normally, and you want to use them as a 3-4, you have to re-set the depth chart.

My defensive philosophy was always bend dont break. Just keep being out there on D, the more plays the offense runs the more I got a feel for what they liked doing, got into their heads, learned their tendencies, and then I'd shark them for picks/etc. So I'd try not to give away any big plays, just let them eke yards out, hold them to a FG at worst. Then do my thing on offense ;)

Tampa 2 sucks. The two CBs only drop back short, so there's a big gap behind both of them as the two safeties have to run over and cover each deep half of the field behind the CBs...which means there's a massive gap right up the middle that your LBs wont be able to cover well. So offenses can just keep hitting the TE or slot WR up the middle seam, or using in routes or drags/slant routes to expose the middle. And the Tampa 2 just wont stop it.

I always used either man with a shell 1 cover (that's the FS playing deep middle zone) the rest of the DBs in man. The LBs in that formation are often in man too, so i'd often switch their assignments pre-snap, some zone, some blitz, some man, some spy....depending on what my opponent was fond of doing. Eg, if he constantly kept rolling the QB out, I'd put the MLB in spy, and the OLBs in zone. If my opponent liked to constantly throw short over the middle to slants, i'd pinch all my LBs in and put them all in zone, switching it up every so often leaving them in man.

Or

I used a cover 3 or cover 4 (cover 3 meaning the FS and the two CBs all drop back into deep zone) (cover 4 meaning both safeties and both CBs dropped into deep zone). Often with this formation, the LBs had a couple zoning the flat and a couple zoning the middle. I'd do stuff like show fake blitz, in the cover 4, and then that allowed all those zoning players going deep to actually be still good at defending the short passes because they're all pressed up close to the LS, not giving much room.

Depends what the down and distance is too. If it's 3rd and 8+ I'd use more zone concepts and cover 3 or 4. If it was 1st or 2nd and they were passing, the 1 high safety can be "decent" at protecting against both run and pass, if you're not sure what they're doing.

Whether youre playing the PC or a real person, it's always good to not keep using the same play over and over again or too often....because even against a human, the game is all still driven by the AI. And the AI will punish you if it sees you constantly using the same plays over and over. So I'd have a stock 4 audibles I'd have saved....a heavy or tricky man blitz, a cover 1 or 2 man, a cover 3 zone, and some other interesting defensive play -- could be a cover 1 with another safety playing a short zone with the LBs doing different things. I'd have these same 4 plays saved in my audibles for every formation -- normal 2 WR sets, a nickel, dime, and goalline formation. Then when it came to picking a play on defense, I'd just randomly rifle thru plays i never usually pick, pick one, then at the pre-snap, maybe i'd audible that play to one of my 4 saved plays instead, and do a bunch of assignment changes. Maybe I'd stick with the original play. I'd try to use my stock 4 plays half the time, and plays i never use half the time. Sometimes that could be running one stock play 3 times in a row, then using a different play. Etc mixing it up.

any tips for good team coaching defences? I mainly use dallas, and then just pick multi D.
Don't use multi-defense. Again, decide what the strengths of your front 7 roster are. Does it suit the 4-3 or 3-4. It can be a 4-3 by default (like how Dallas plays), but you might be able to reset the Cowboys roster and save the starters in a 3-4....if you wanted to be a 3-4 D all the time.

Again....decide 3-4 or 4-3. Then pick a playbook from an NFL D that is predominantly a 4-3 or 3-4. Eg, Steelers playbook if you want to be a 3-4 team. Or Ravens playbook if you want to be a 4-3. For example.

But I never used any NFL playbook. I'd create my own playbook. I like 3-4, so I'd reset the rosters of all the teams I wanted to play in Madden, making them 3-4. Then I'd create a CUSTOM playbook choosing only 3-4 formations and just go thru selecting the plays i liked (not picking too many!! just a stock say 10-20 plays from the say 40+ plays on offer). I'd add other 3 downlinemen formations like 3-3-2. Etc. Then I'd select all the goalline formations. All the 46 formations. Maybe add a 5-2 formation.

Don't bother with stuff like 4-3-Over, or 3-4-Under, etc. I'd just pick say the 3-4 stock formation (pick 10 plays i liked). Then pick the 3-4 Nickel (and 10 plays i liked. Then pick the 3-4 Dime (and 10 plays). Then the Dollar/Quarter formation (10 plays). Goalline and variants of Goalline. 46 and variants of 46. 3-3-2 stock and some other interesting 3-3-2 variant.

In the end I have a playbook that has listed 3-4, 3-4 Nickel, 3-4 Dime. 46, 46 Bear. Dollar. Quarter. 3-3-2, 3-3-2-whatever. Goalline. And in each formation about 10 plays each. Total say 150-200 plays chosen. Then I'd just use that CUSTOM playbook as my DEFAULT defensive playbook in the settings section.

The good thing about this is -- you use it so often, you end up knowing it inside-out, can rifle quickly to EXACTLY a play you know works well against this or that. You know the ins and outs of every assignment in every play. Can make lots of assignment changes because you know what everyone's doing.

Whereas if you keep using different TEAM playbooks, you dont know where stuff is organized, takes too long to find stuff, you dont have your usual audibles set, etc. It's all about being ONE with your playbook and the playbook being ONE with you. So CUSTOM always imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back