Maggie Varcoe (sister of Travis Varcoe) passes away due to injury sustained during a football match

Remove this Banner Ad

I think overall there's a much bigger strength divide in womens football compared to mens, not saying that caused this tragedy though, sounds like a terrible accident :(
Except that "strength divide" is irrelevant as they aren't playing against men.

Poor young girl, and Varcoe's family. Rest in peace Margaret.

Only if this is shown to be a woman-specific issue.
I don't know if it applies in Maggie Varcoe's case, but women have more serious symptoms and outcomes from concussion than men do:

http://www.pinkconcussions.com/

It's believed that because men have historically been more violent towards each other we have evolved to take hits to the head better (also why we have stronger jaws, etc).

No i meant the divide between women footballers, there are some bloody strong girls running around.
If that was a major factor you'd expect there would've been a lot of deaths in the VFL back in the day (eg. Mick Nolan on Robbie Flower). Just a freak accident for mine. Same thing with Phil Hughes untimely death, it wasn't a Brett Lee or Shaun Tait bouncer that caused it, it's more to do with how random the seriousness of head injuries can be than a skill/strength difference.

No i meant the divide between women footballers, there are some bloody strong girls running around.
Would the same divide not exist between the men then?

Sad sad news, along with the Sloane family a tragic week in football, condolences to family and friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back