Manchester United: Where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any basis for this opinion, or are you just speculating?
It's basic contract law.

If you have a contract with someone and deprive them from the opportunity to fulfil the terms of that contract without a valid reason you're in breach.

If they stuck Greenwood in the reserves for the rest of his contract he could argue that he's being deprived the opportunity to earn bonus, sponsorships etc. Most likely he would walk, and then make a constructive dismissal claim. And he'd win.

United are in a difficult position. Would have been much easier for them if he was charged and found guilty of an offence. Then they could have torn up his contract and kicked him up the arse on the way out. But in the eyes of the law, he's done nothing wrong.

Then pay those out too. Piss him off out of the club for good.
I guess that's where your money men come in. He was a £100m asset a few years ago. I guess most businesses would want to recoup what they could.

Last edited:
March 7 2021 they won 2-0 at The Etihad. I think Fernandes scored from the spot in fact he did. Luke Shaw got the other.

That match springs to mind because it's around the same time of year. Fernandes netted a pen in the 1st minute.

However this time, surely City get the job done. They got Liverpool next week at Anfield. They need to get their ass into gear.

Overlap Podcast:

Ole Gunnar Solskjær: "I had Haaland in Molde, for two seasons. The summer before I got here (to Man United), I rang the club and said: you've got to sign this boy. He’ll be top class." "That was June, July 2018, and they said no. They had enough reports on players. Then I became the caretaker manager, and we’d sold Haaland to RB Salzburg." "I tell the club straight away to buy him while he has a release clause. We knew that then, and no one else would’ve paid the money - €20m, it would’ve been a bargain.""It was the club’s decision to not go for it then. We never made bids or went in for him, until after he started scoring for Salzburg.""By then, everyone was there. His release clause then was still good - €60m."

Not hard to see where Sir Jim needs to fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched that interview, I think Ole had the right attitude with United. Like you watch how United played against City recently, it was awful how far United have fallen. But at least back then Ole at Old Trafford particularly was like, go out and play, take them on.

Sure they lost heavily to Liverpool and City trying to do that haha. But hey at least they went for it. What United recently put up against City was god awful, they played like Burnley or something.

Overlap Podcast:

Ole Gunnar Solskjær: "I had Haaland in Molde, for two seasons. The summer before I got here (to Man United), I rang the club and said: you've got to sign this boy. He’ll be top class." "That was June, July 2018, and they said no. They had enough reports on players. Then I became the caretaker manager, and we’d sold Haaland to RB Salzburg." "I tell the club straight away to buy him while he has a release clause. We knew that then, and no one else would’ve paid the money - €20m, it would’ve been a bargain.""It was the club’s decision to not go for it then. We never made bids or went in for him, until after he started scoring for Salzburg.""By then, everyone was there. His release clause then was still good - €60m."

I saw that too but I dont know if Haaland ever wanted to go to United given his family's connections to City and the whole Roy Keane incident with his Dad.

Overlap Podcast:

That part was infuriating to listen to. This is one of their best episodes yet though.

Some other interesting take aways for those who haven't seen it:

• He says that some players refused to captain the club (in Maguire's absence) for high profile games and that they didn't have the balls to tell him themselves.
  • He knew it was over for him at HT in his last game (against Watford). He went back to the rooms and asked the players who actually wanted to be there for the second half, "hands up if you don't want to play"...I went back to check this and Rashford was one of the players that was subbed off at HT.
  • On Sancho: Says he picked up an infection on holiday after signing. It ruined his preseason and he never got match fit after that.
  • United's scouting & recruiting network is too slow to identify and act on their interest in players. Big shock!
  • On ETH's struggles: Says it looks familiar. You never know what sort of performance you'll get week to week from this group and how that kills your confidence as a coach. He mentions that he selected certain players because he at least knew they'd give 100%. McTominay is mentioned specifically there.
  • On Ronaldo: Stands by it being a no brainer at the time but concedes in hindsight it was a mistake for all parties. Dan James made way for him and our pressing game suffered for it. Also talks about how hard it is to bench Ronaldo.
  • On media criticism of players: It impacts them much more than people realise. Avoiding the news doesn't work because even if the players don't see it themselves, someone within their circle of friends/family will see it and get upset.
  • On Maguire: Full of praise for his character and how he's carried himself throughout the criticism. Ole loved him as a player but he says that the incident in Greece really rattled Maguire and he wasn't the same player afterwards.
  • On Bruno as captain: He has a lot of the qualities that you'd want in a captain but he's way too emotional in games and that they had many discussions about trying to curb that.

Team who takes in millions of dollars wants someone else to pay for new stadium. Hope whoever pays for it *s them over on a stadium deal
The funding will be key. Glazers won't pay, don't Ratcliffe will pay. Can't see the government paying.

So who will pay, and what will they want in return?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back