Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

What are they reporting? All I've really seen is what pops up here:
https://twitter.com/AFL/lists/afl-com-au-journalists

It's all former Essendon coach this, former Essendon coach that.

I haven't seen anyone even get close to going near to gently broaching the issue of Bomber being on ice while coaching Geelong. Is that not the most interesting part of this story?

Man coaches AFL side while on Ice is a headline, Man coaches AFL side to premiership on Ice is the greatest story never told

Geelong FC memorabilia was in room alongside various substances found.

Was it really necessary to mention this? Unless it's stolen then it's completely irrelevant.

It goes to the likelihood that the other things found in the room were his, not his housemates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they did, he’s a hugely successful coach. Do you think people knew he was a drug dealer?
The rumors of him being pretty hooked on drugs were around back then. It seems pretty unlikely to me that nobody at the club would have had any inkling at the time that he was a user. That's probably the interesting part for me.

Last edited:
I blame James Hird. HE was coach at the time it happened

It's all former Essendon coach this, former Essendon coach that.

I haven't seen anyone even get close to going near to gently broaching the issue of Bomber being on ice while coaching Geelong. Is that not the most interesting part of this story?

Man coaches AFL side while on Ice is a headline, Man coaches AFL side to premiership on Ice is the greatest story never told
I haven't seen anyone broach the possible (and more likely) issue of Bomber being on ice while coaching Essendon either, because that'll get them a defamation suit (this also explains why comments are not open in articles involving this matter, at least on the age's website)

Last edited:
I doubt this is new - Was told 35 years ago by an acquantince who played with Bomber in the under 19's that he had issues - My guess it's been on and off all his life - I expect a deal will be done and the trafficking charges dropped.

Last edited:
Pretty simple really. Enjoys a dabble, dealers befriend him because he’s got a lot of money and so do people he knows.

If he’s using regularly he wouldn’t be making the best decisions.

“Give me $100k and you’ll get back $300k in a month”

And off it goes...
Like my Mum used to say: "Lay down with the dogs and you get up with fleas!"

Like my Mum used to say: "Lay down with the dogs and you get up with fleas!"
Yet you watch them every week.....

All seriousness, there had been rumours aboht Mark Thompsons off field issues long before his return to Essendon.

Where there is smoke there seems to be a fire.

I remember talking to him at sponsors function the year he took over from Hirdy, i walked away convinced he was either the most eccentric man i ever met or he was on something. I was more thinking an anti depressent sort of thing more than recreational. He was all over the place.

I haven't seen anyone broach the possible (and more likely) issue of Bomber being on ice while coaching Essendon either, because that'll get them a defamation suit (this also explains why comments are not open in articles involving this matter, at least on the age's website)

Defamation suit from who?

A lot of things now make sense. There's no way he leaves Geelong unless he's battling addiction. It's a damn shame. We can only hope this kicks the government into gear on the fight against ice. The premier is a bombers supporter and Thompson likely would have been one of his favourite players growing up.

Yet you watch them every week.....

All seriousness, there had been rumours aboht Mark Thompsons off field issues long before his return to Essendon.

Where there is smoke there seems to be a fire.

I remember talking to him at sponsors function the year he took over from Hirdy, i walked away convinced he was either the most eccentric man i ever met or he was on something. I was more thinking an anti depressent sort of thing more than recreational. He was all over the place.
I was there the same night as you'd remember, and he definitely was a little eccentric in the way he came across but he also managed to have a chat and appear to be genuinely interested. We were chatting about different places we'd travelled, different cuisines we liked and a few other things that weren't footy related; it wasn't your normal sponsor night conversation, but in a good way. I still have a photo taken that night with Bomber somewhere on my computer.

.....The court heard that a range of drugs, including 134.6 grams of ecstasy, 33.1 grams of methyl amphetamine, an LSD tab, 5.6 grams of ephedrine and multiple Xanax tablets were found...

least he gets off the acid charge. 1 tab of LSD, personal use that one :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back