Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

If McAsey had worked out would we have even grabbed him?

It looked like they were trying to turn McAsey into a Talia dour defender type who spoils all night. Keane is a great intercept mark. McAsey would probably be in Butts or Murrays spot. Having said that though Keane came as a complete surprise having to play when both Murray and Butts went down. So who knows.

If McAsey had worked out would we have even grabbed him?

"It was January, club lists were presumably finalised.

But Clarke alerted him to Fischer McAsey’s retirement leaving a vacancy on Adelaide’s list."

Going by that, I would say no.
But who knows if we had an eye on him and other Irish lads with a possibility of getting them in somehow

He has a pretty rare combination of being hard-nosed and disciplined as a defender, but also being pretty creative and skilful on the rebound.

As a defender, he seems like the kind of player you'd just hate to play on. Always bashing into you, not scared to go back with the flight, and does most of the simple things well. Flies the flag for his teammates and seems pretty lippy too, which would be doubly frustrating since he's not easy to understand at the best of times :D

On the rebound, one thing I really like about him is that he just pulls the trigger immediately on his kicks. He sees a gap open up and he doesn't stop to think, ooh, can I get the ball there before it gets closed? Is there a better option? No, he just kicks it and almost always nails it, even when there is a very narrow window to pull it off.

Just quietly, we're building a pretty damn skilled backline. Worrell, Hinge, Michalanney and Keane are all above average when it comes to disposal by foot for guys who are 190cm+. Once Murray (who is also a good kick) returns and sends the Borlase/Butts revolving door back to the SANFL, we will have a full set of tall defenders who can kick.
Could our backline within the year look something like...

B: Michaelanny, Murray, Keane
HB: Curtin, Worrell, Hinge
I: Ryan

It's becoming Geelong like with the marking power.

Theres also 3 left footers accross that backline - what other teams have that?

We must have the most left footers in the competition.

Just need a midfield to help stop it getting there 60 plus times a game and we will become very miserly.

I just don't buy that our midfield is in the dire straits that some people frame it as tbh. At most we need 1 additional top tier midfielder considering how much Soligo has stepped up to the plate.

I just don't buy that our midfield is in the dire straits that some people frame it as tbh. At most we need 1 additional top tier midfielder considering how much Soligo has stepped up to the plate.
The reason we didn't get beaten yesterday sits squarely with our defence.
You can't play like we did in the middle over a season and expect to win a flag.

Maybe one top tier mid would change that, but I think it's not that simple.

Watching a few games at the ground this year the thing I can't get over with him is just how good he reads the ball. We've got blokes who grew up playing the sport getting caught under the ball as it sails over their heads yet Keane seems to get in the right position early and often. Great eyes for the flight of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a starting defensive six without a single player under 190cm is pretty crazy.

Do we have someone who can mind a slippery small forward?

Having a starting defensive six without a single player under 190cm is pretty crazy.

I don't think height matters. Our smaller defenders like Milera were not good defensively

Agree we need someone fast, hard and aggressive back there, hoping Ryan might turn out to be that player. Having typed it tho it actually does sound like Jones.

Agree we need someone fast, hard and aggressive back there, hoping Ryan might turn out to be that player. Having typed it tho it actually does sound like Jones.
It’s probably Jones best role moving forward, it seems really unlikely that he’ll develop into the player we hoped he would initially, but it is especially disappointing given that he showed some real improvement last year playing on the wing.

Hopefully our wings in the future will be Nank and Curtin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back