Markfs Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The following was written to pass some time while the washing machine did it's bit. It's just an exercise in stuffing around....

The AFL media has been supplying a moral compass to the sport for a number of years. However, the compass has turned into a GPS with a Hitler-accented voice in recent years as the riot act has been read at club officials and players who have transgressed what Pauline Hanson lovers would categorise as political correctness.

I should say right here that while I am a strong believer of equality and fairness, I dont believe that people should be carded as being racist or sexist simply on the basis of a few stray words. To me, this type of "good vs evil" characterisation just doesnt leave enough room to talk about people who are actively trying to exterminate entire populations or who bash women consistently and without provocation.

The media fans along this "good vs evil", "you're either with us or you're against us" mentality in all aspects of public life - including sports. Everyone has the right to express an opinion these days and there's a 1001 ways to express them. The role of sports writers in this anarchy of ideas is to fan the flames, or to strategically raise issues that might heighten divisiveness in the community. The idea is to get the punters involved and get them to return to the newspaper or the internet page to chase up how the "debate" was resolved. Conflict is good for business.

In sports, the media is the political correctness sheriff sniffing out any deviation from the pristine public face that those administering the sport would hope it to have. Sport is meant to be where skin colour is irrelevant, all cultures are respected, women are represented and consulted in all aspects of the sport. All sexual orientations are accepted and physical disability is to be incorporated into the methods.

Of course, none of this happens in non-sport parts of life. But that doesnt stop the sports writer from expecting or demanding this perfect world - on our behalf of course.

And I say all power to these modern titans of reform. In fact, sometimes I think their talents are wasted in the confines of sport. I'd like to see Caroline Wilson take a lead in the women's movement. I'd like to see Patrick Smith as Australia's Ambassador to the UN. I'd like to see Damien Barrett broker a final settlement between the Israelis and the Palestinians. It's time for these guys to move on to greater things!

Last edited:
Mark Robinson on 360 to Dangerfield : You dont drink do ya....
Dangerfield : well i occasionally have one

a few laughs etc

Robinson: well you cant drink tonight
dangerfield unsure what he means

Robinson: you know, you'll have to make a speech, you cant drink
dangerfield: ahhh....well I like to think that I can be composed after a few drinks

Robinson starts contemplating his navel. He realises that he's talking to a man who doesn't buy a one-way ticket to the gutter, sleeping in his vomit, every times he gets his lips on an alcoholic beverage. You can see Robinson mulling over dangerfield's words and the insinuation that Robinson wouldnt be able to keep his composure if he got anywhere near a taste of alcohol...

I thought it was an enlightening moment...

The following was written to pass some time while the washing machine did it's bit. It's just an exercise in stuffing around....

The AFL media has been supplying a moral compass to the sport for a number of years. However, the compass has turned into a GPS with a Hitler-accented voice in recent years as the riot act has been read at club officials and players who have transgressed what Pauline Hanson lovers would categorise as political correctness.

I should say right here that while I am a strong believer of equality and fairness, I dont believe that people should be carded as being racist or sexist simply on the basis of a few stray words. To me, this type of "good vs evil" characterisation just doesnt leave enough room to talk about people who are actively trying to exterminate entire populations or who bash women consistently and without provocation.

The media fans along this "good vs evil", "you're either with us or you're against us" mentality in all aspects of public life - including sports. Everyone has the right to express an opinion these days and there's a 1001 ways to express them. The role of sports writers in this anarchy of ideas is to fan the flames, or to strategically raise issues that might heighten divisiveness in the community. The idea is to get the punters involved and get them to return to the newspaper or the internet page to chase up how the "debate" was resolved. Conflict is good for business.

In sports, the media is the political correctness sheriff sniffing out any deviation from the pristine public face that those administering the sport would hope it to have. Sport is meant to be where skin colour is irrelevant, all cultures are respected, women are represented and consulted in all aspects of the sport. All sexual orientations are accepted and physical disability is to be incorporated into the methods.

Of course, none of this happens in non-sport parts of life. But that doesnt stop the sports writer from expecting or demanding this perfect world - on our behalf of course.

And I say all power to these modern titans of reform. In fact, sometimes I think their talents are wasted in the confines of sport. I'd like to see Caroline Wilson take a lead in the women's movement. I'd like to see Patrick Smith as Australia's Ambassador to the UN. I'd like to see Damien Barrett broker a final settlement between the Israelis and the Palestinians. It's time for these guys to move on to greater things!

Along this theme, I find myself in constant bewilderment how Wayne Carey manages to re-emerge unscathed as a media presence while all around him clamber for the moral high ground at every turn.

This guy has breached almost every social boundary on the political correctness landscape - adultery, sexual assault, domestic violence, drugs, booze, and by all accounts is plying his craft from Arden St to Royal Parade in recent times.

Still, he stands up there regaling us with his 'expertise' completely unfazed by the fact his credibility level provides a comfortable low-water mark for the rest of his peers.

He was a great player though so who cares I suppose?

Along this theme, I find myself in constant bewilderment how Wayne Carey manages to re-emerge unscathed as a media presence while all around him clamber for the moral high ground at every turn.

This guy has breached almost every social boundary on the political correctness landscape - adultery, sexual assault, domestic violence, drugs, booze, and by all accounts is plying his craft from Arden St to Royal Parade in recent times.

Still, he stands up there regaling us with his 'expertise' completely unfazed by the fact his credibility level provides a comfortable low-water mark for the rest of his peers.

He was a great player though so who cares I suppose?

He said sorry in the appropriate manner. There are certain "escape clauses" available and as long as they are completed in the correct manner then you become a reborn person.... its like being a reformed alcoholic

I'm not sure of the details but that rugby league player called Joey said he had taken drugs etc all through his career but he made this big mea culpa at the end of his career and it was deemed to enough to gain our forgiveness. I just remembered his surname...its johns. And it seems that his confession was enough. I don't know who makes these assessments.

I suppose people should be given a second chance. However, I don't think they should have a right to start moralising about the game or the people who play it

I went out to buy some screws this morning and I stopped off to get a coffee and I read the West Australian as I sipped. I gave up buying the West Australian years ago because I figured that I could do more with the $10 that I wasted on it in a week. The footy world is all about West Coast and Freo and I can understand that. Many of the West Coast supporters, for example, are from England and never get to the other side of the country during their lifetimes so you can understand that they know nothing about Footscray, Collingwood or Richmond - the suburbs as well as the teams.

What was different today was that there was a feature article about the Western Dogs towards the front of the paper. It was written by a guy called Mark Duffield whose name I've seen before and I know he's been with the paper for a number of years.

His article was pitched to convey the emotion of the Bulldogs march into the Grand Final. I understood that it was going to be a broad piece of writing because, as I've said, most of the names of the Bulldogs team would be unknown to Coaster supporters, let alone the broader readership. He started out doing the usual stuff about the journey, fair enough.

Then he spoke about Peter Gordon. He said that he was like a father figure at the club, in contrast with Eddie McGuire who ran the Pies as his kingdom. I understand that the Pies are easy targets but you have to question why he would sully his attempt at an uplifting piece of writing by trashing a club president.

But wait, there's more. He then spoke about the Bulldogs famous banner writer. Duffield said that the club often had to veto the words on the banner but on the occasion that the Bulldogs played the Pies they let it go.He went on to explain what was on it. Queue snide little giggles at the reference to Pie supporters being in jail a lot. Now I can take snipes at the Pies. I've taken them for a long time. But is it coincidence that Duffield again has to use Collingwood as a whipping boy....a point of contrast....good vs evil.... us and them...

It seems to be a common theme in the media these days. I would have thought that it was pretty easy task to write an uplifting piece on the Dogs. I have great respect for their efforts and I was barracking for them on the weekend. I dont think I was alone. I'm not pissed off at Duffield's snide remarks. Who knows, he might have lost out on a media job because of Eddie. The thing that dismays me is that the same old boring journalists are using the same old boring techniques to sell their story. If a sports writer can't write the Bulldogs story in a way that conveys the emotion of the club - even to disinterested Beagle supporters, then I dont know why he has got the job.

I went out to buy some screws this morning and I stopped off to get a coffee and I read the West Australian as I sipped. I gave up buying the West Australian years ago because I figured that I could do more with the $10 that I wasted on it in a week. The footy world is all about West Coast and Freo and I can understand that. Many of the West Coast supporters, for example, are from England and never get to the other side of the country during their lifetimes so you can understand that they know nothing about Footscray, Collingwood or Richmond - the suburbs as well as the teams.

What was different today was that there was a feature article about the Western Dogs towards the front of the paper. It was written by a guy called Mark Duffield whose name I've seen before and I know he's been with the paper for a number of years.

His article was pitched to convey the emotion of the Bulldogs march into the Grand Final. I understood that it was going to be a broad piece of writing because, as I've said, most of the names of the Bulldogs team would be unknown to Coaster supporters, let alone the broader readership. He started out doing the usual stuff about the journey, fair enough.

Then he spoke about Peter Gordon. He said that he was like a father figure at the club, in contrast with Eddie McGuire who ran the Pies as his kingdom. I understand that the Pies are easy targets but you have to question why he would sully his attempt at an uplifting piece of writing by trashing a club president.

But wait, there's more. He then spoke about the Bulldogs famous banner writer. Duffield said that the club often had to veto the words on the banner but on the occasion that the Bulldogs played the Pies they let it go.He went on to explain what was on it. Queue snide little giggles at the reference to Pie supporters being in jail a lot. Now I can take snipes at the Pies. I've taken them for a long time. But is it coincidence that Duffield again has to use Collingwood as a whipping boy....a point of contrast....good vs evil.... us and them...

It seems to be a common theme in the media these days. I would have thought that it was pretty easy task to write an uplifting piece on the Dogs. I have great respect for their efforts and I was barracking for them on the weekend. I dont think I was alone. I'm not pissed off at Duffield's snide remarks. Who knows, he might have lost out on a media job because of Eddie. The thing that dismays me is that the same old boring journalists are using the same old boring techniques to sell their story. If a sports writer can't write the Bulldogs story in a way that conveys the emotion of the club - even to disinterested Beagle supporters, then I dont know why he has got the job.

Another insightful post. This thing of sniping at Collingwood, is just another example of falling back on old prejudices and sterotypes. Throw in a couple of lazy negative references to us, nudge nudge, wink wink, entertain your readers and bring them into the group who hate us.

Saying that, I am guilty of laughing/smirking at stereotypical jokes about other clubs. Saw Titus O'Reliiy perform live a few weeks ago. Near the end of the show a 'live ladder' (a real old wooden ladder) was brought onto the stage, and we were told that Richmond was ninth. I laughed hysterically. I love Carlton jokes, especially the ones involving MM.

Wondering now if it is so bad to laugh at footy stereotypes? Part of the culture and folklore of footy, I guess, it just hurts when its the Pies.

Another insightful post. This thing of sniping at Collingwood, is just another example of falling back on old prejudices and sterotypes. Throw in a couple of lazy negative references to us, nudge nudge, wink wink, entertain your readers and bring them into the group who hate us.

Saying that, I am guilty of laughing/smirking at stereotypical jokes about other clubs. Saw Titus O'Reliiy perform live a few weeks ago. Near the end of the show a 'live ladder' (a real old wooden ladder) was brought onto the stage, and we were told that Richmond was ninth. I laughed hysterically. I love Carlton jokes, especially the ones involving MM.

Wondering now if it is so bad to laugh at footy stereotypes? Part of the culture and folklore of footy, I guess, it just hurts when its the Pies.

I laugh at Richmond too. I just dont need to join the conga line behind a sports writer to enjoy the joke. As I said, I can take the heat. When you lose grand finals as much as we have, then someone taking the piss out of collingwood comes a poor second. The point I was making, and I realise you understand that, is that Duffield already has most of us in his corner about the Bulldogs when he starts to write the column. It just reflected badly on him that he didnt feel capable of getting that positive energy down on paper without trying to stir the reader up by booting the Pies.

As I said, he's been around a while and he's been over here in Perth for a while. He probably missed out on a job in the East because of Eddie.

You do learn when you live over here that the passion that Beagle supporters feel for their team, more so than the Dockers, is a lot less than the passion they put into their hate for all things from "over east"....

...In sports, the media is the political correctness sheriff sniffing out any deviation from the pristine public face that those administering the sport would hope it to have. Sport is meant to be where skin colour is irrelevant, all cultures are respected, women are represented and consulted in all aspects of the sport. All sexual orientations are accepted and physical disability is to be incorporated into the methods...

Sir, you besmirch my good name. I ask you cease and desist immediately.

Usa

Us against them. We have enshrined the fact that oppo supporters love to hate us. Why shouldn't journos write what people love to read? Footy is 99% familiar with a hint of something new occasionally, it is not artwork where originality means something

Usa
Us against them. We have enshrined the fact that oppo supporters love to hate us. Why shouldn't journos write what people love to read? Footy is 99% familiar with a hint of something new occasionally, it is not artwork where originality means something

I was just commenting on the quality of the writing. I'm not sure if he qualifies as a journo. The word is bandied around a lot. It was just something that stuck in my mind when I read it. He didnt refer to any other team in the article, if I remember correctly. It was like he was saying to himself " I need to add a bit of passion and spice into this, so I'll mention Eddie and the Pies". If you cant get footy followers to connect to the Bulldogs journey and you have to rely on old standard triggers to get a reaction, then i think he should retire and give someone else a chance.

I get a bit bored reading the same stuff time and time again. I must admit that I might be guilty of the same thing in this thread.... I think that I might wind it back for a while. I have an idea for another thread in a similar vein.

It's time for me to give some roses to someone in the media....

I wrote earlier about footy stuff being either news, analysis or comment. I'm not a big fan of comment if you havent guessed already, although some ex-footballers can give insights into playing in the AFL

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/how-the-sydney-swans-and-western-bulldogs-built-their-lists

I must admit that I like these kinds of articles. It's built around a solid structure and the comments by Callum are pretty reasonable.

It makes me think a number of things, including the fact that the Swans recruiting has been pretty good even though a lot of people say that they've been handed academy picks etc. The recruitment of buddy took guts, although we'll have to see the end of the conga line to judge the whole journey. The players from the rookie draft have been outstanding.

The other thing that I've learnt from this article is that Hine's expertise is over-rated. Well in fact, I've been thinking that for a while. He has done pretty well but he's not a magician. He had a period there when we were opting out of the draft where he didnt have much of a chance, so the years leading up to the premiership were a bit thin. He did well with early rookies but I'm not sure now. My opinion - which can be categorised as "comment" - is that he doesnt put enough emphasis on skill....

Anyway, I like the media providing an article like this because it gives a basis for a discussion that cant be disputed. well done callum...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had a look at the AFL site. Woolworths is promoting the footy record. Woolies have proved themselves to be losers in the last few years. The supermarkets are going bad. Masters hardware is going out of business. And they decided to get Chris Connelly in to do their promotional work. Woolies must have a death wish to get this gumby in.

You wonder how he can get a gig in the media with his displays of spinelessness over the years....

As for the content of this little show, Chris manages to name the players in the midfield from each team.... well done chris. He does make a decision on who he thinks will win but he squibs it by saying that he's not much good at choosing winners....

All up a fine bit of work...

I feel the need to comment on some of the advertising that's been revolving around the AFL in the last few months. I have - until next week - a Foxtel subscription through Bigpond.....hugely overpriced of course.

It's interesting how the Fox people go on about no advertising. They even have commercials who talk about blokes going around to other blokes homes to watch these bloke's fox subscription so the blokes dont have to watch commercials..... and yet when they take the channel 7 feed there are commercials by the truckload....

Anyway, I have to say that I'm a big fan of the Dangerfield commercial. The Advertising agency that pitched that commercial must have had one of those struck by lightning moments. It promotes Dangerfield fabulously. It really emphasises that work-life balance that he talks about. I can see why he did it, other than the truckload of money that Rupert must have given him....but there's one problem. I just dont get the connection to Foxtel. "I am home"...on foxtel? ...you gotta be kidding. I just cant see how Foxtel gets anything out of this other than providing a less annoying 30 second commercial to self-promote.....and I hate media companies self-promoting endlessly on their media.....but the commercial is a treat.... but I wont be missing it when I end the foxtel subscription next week...

The NAB commercials. Everyone loves em. I like the old rockabilly song. The brats eh..... But for a bank to expect me to feel good about it by using commercials, they must really think I'm gullible. One question to NAB.... Why invest in junior footy and at the same time pay minimal taxes which means that less can be spent on these kids' education?

McDonalds....omg. If I were McDonalds, I'd stay out of sight. Talk about audacity. They say that they are doing all this stuff for kids and yet they're killing them with the junk that they're putting in their stomachs. If they really want to do something for kids....really really really........... then close the business down.....right now thank you..

And "little wins"...what? Little wings? Little what? Are they crazy? They should be drug tested.

The dropping of Jake Stringer and Travis Cloke has played out a little differently in the media and I was trying to work out why.

Of course, there are similarities and differences to their situations. Trav has had a long career with the Pies and is on the downhill slide. Jake, on the other hand, is on the rise. The amount of draft interest that each would fetch would be at the polar opposites on the scale. Both players seem to be bit inflexible in adjusting to team requirements and both look like they might be victims of their own lack of self-confidence on occasions.

I would argue that when each player was dropped that there was a reasonable expectation that both would be elevated again later in the season. There was also some commonalities about the statements that their coaches made about the players needing to make improvements to get back into the team. In fact, it's this last point that interests me. I would say that both Bucks and Bevo were very strong in their public messages that each player would need to meet team requirements.

And yet, I just read an article today and Bevo has come out of the whole Stringer saga smelling of roses. And rightly so. He made the right decision. I would argue that it was the only decision that he could make. Now sports writers are lauding how strong Bevo is. How he doesnt compromise etc etc.

Of course, much of what a sports writers writes is based on retrospective analysis. If Stringer hadnt improved his form, and if the Bulldogs had been put out of the finals, then the praise mightnt have been forthcoming.

If Cloke manages to rise from the ashes next year and put in a few good games, I can see the buzzards circling and interpreting Buckley's dealings with Cloke as a lost opportunity to rejuvenate a senior player.... a bit of a failure really. I can see Cloke being added to the list of players who have been pushed out the door by buckley.... another player from the malthouse era who has been given his marching orders.

In the end, it's one of the things that separate the dooers from those that sit around and criticise. People like Buckley and Beveridge have to make decisions without the advantage of hindsight. Their decisions are set in concrete. There's no way to retrospectively change the decision or to jump on board when things turn out well.

The dropping of Jake Stringer and Travis Cloke has played out a little differently in the media and I was trying to work out why.

if Cloke manages to rise from the ashes next year and put in a few good games, I can see the buzzards circling and interpreting Buckley's dealings with Cloke as a lost opportunity to rejuvenate a senior player.... a bit of a failure really. I can see Cloke being added to the list of players who have been pushed out the door by buckley.... another player from the malthouse era who has been given his marching orders.

In the end, it's one of the things that separate the dooers from those that sit around and criticise. People like Buckley and Beveridge have to make decisions without the advantage of hindsight. Their decisions are set in concrete. There's no way to retrospectively change the decision or to jump on board when things turn out well.
I agree that a good year for Cloke will be catastrophic for Buckley, and that Cloke will then be seen as yet another who was pushed by Buckley This would particularly apply if Cloke does what Collingwood could not convince him to do and trims down his weight and improves his mobility. A slimmer, faster Cloke is a required player this year at Collingwood, given our dearth of tall timber in KPPs. This is a make or break year for Buckley, and a successful Cloke at the Bulldogs will nothing to help Nathan retain his position at the club. AS you say, Buckley has to be a 'dooer' not a sitter, but he needs to actually get things done correctly, not bumble from one mistake to the next.

I agree that a good year for Cloke will be catastrophic for Buckley, and that Cloke will then be seen as yet another who was pushed by Buckley This would particularly apply if Cloke does what Collingwood could not convince him to do and trims down his weight and improves his mobility. A slimmer, faster Cloke is a required player this year at Collingwood, given our dearth of tall timber in KPPs. This is a make or break year for Buckley, and a successful Cloke at the Bulldogs will nothing to help Nathan retain his position at the club. AS you say, Buckley has to be a 'dooer' not a sitter, but he needs to actually get things done correctly, not bumble from one mistake to the next.

so what were buckley's mistakes again?... i'm getting old and i forget easy

mmm_footy_984x134-jpg.jpg

This sort of reminds me of that joke "how many irishmen to change a light bulb?"....

i mean does it ALL of these guys to provide enough bullshit to fill MMM's footy commitments? I could understand if it was SEN. That's 24/7.

btw is that caleb daniels on the far left?

mmm_footy_984x134-jpg.jpg

This sort of reminds me of that joke "how many irishmen to change a light bulb?"....

i mean does it ALL of these guys to provide enough bullshit to fill MMM's footy commitments? I could understand if it was SEN. That's 24/7.

btw is that caleb daniels on the far left?

Slight gender imbalance there.

Slight gender imbalance there.
You will find that most ex-players nowadays are male. Give it a few years and the female players like a Meg Hutchin will get a podium too.

Has anyone in the media written a story about the scary similarities between the Scott Brother's situation? Except for Chris lucking out on a premiership in his first year, there are some strange parallels between how the two boys have treated older players and how both their clubs might be failing at the last hurdle to win a premiership...

Maybe they're not really brothers and it's the same guy...

Aliens are represented though...

btw I wonder why Damo is holding a footy? It seems peculiar. I wonder if there's another photo on the site where he's not holding a footy... and I've won a competition..

True, James Brayshaw is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back