Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure of your point - there needs to be a statute of limitations put on a right to marry? Lets break down your numbers though.

Population of Ireland: 4.5m or so.
% that identify as gay: 4-8% depending on your source. Lets split the difference and go with 6%.
% of gay people older than 18: 120,000 ish.

2000 of those people got married in their VERY FIRST YEAR of legality.

By contrast there were 22,000 marriages in all of Ireland that year, meaning the "gay" ratio of 5%, which is right in line with the overall population.

You are comparing the natural annual rate of marriage ie people who can get married at any time - with the number of people who got married after not being able to for many years. If you believe the hype you would expect a big surge from this backlog, but when given the opportunity less than 2% of Irish gays got married.

I think you will find you are horribly incorrect here. Marriage is about a lifelong commitment to one another. Again, my point still stands, if procreation is the objective, what conditions will you place on heterosexual couples looking to get married? Any at all?

I think you will find you are horribly incorrect here. And confused about what marriage is about. Marriage isn't just about a lifelong commitment to one another. You have to be of an age to consent to sex. There are provisions that prohibit marriage between close family members. It's clearly about a sexual relationship between a man and a woman with a view to having children.

You're right. It didn't take long for you to reveal your homophobic arguments. I dont understand the rest of your comment.

I reject your assertion that my arguments are homophobic. The pro-SSM camp said we shouldn't have a plebiscite because we couldn't have a respectful and civilised debate. Seems like it's true.

I think you will find you are horribly incorrect here. And confused about what marriage is about. Marriage isn't just about a lifelong commitment to one another. You have to be of an age to consent to sex. There are provisions that prohibit marriage between close family members. It's clearly about a sexual relationship between a man and a woman with a view to having children.

No that is YOUR interpretation of what marriage is, or what you think it should be. Not what it is, or should be in reality.

The logical conclusion of your definition if you were to be consistent is that people who rock up to get married would need to take a fertility test before saying their I do's or sign a pledge guaranteeing they will have children at some time in the future. Just silly.

Does SSM mean that churches don't have a choice, they must marry everyone? I always thought it was civil unions or whatever with the same legal rights. Cheers.
Most people seem to fail to realise that only the state can marry anyone in this country.
This a secular state and religion holds the same legal power as other pass times like golf and snooker.
Church's, all of them, simply perform medieval rituals which have no meaning in law what-so-ever.

No that is YOUR interpretation of what marriage is, or what you think it should be. Not what it is, or should be in reality.

No, it's a conservative view of what marriage has been for a very long time. As Julia Gillard said -

I think that there are some important things from our past that need to continue to be part of our present and part of our future," she said. "If I was in a different walk of life, if I'd continued in the law and was partner of a law firm now, I would express the same view, that I think for our culture, for our heritage, the Marriage Act and marriage being between a man and a woman has a special status.​

No, it's a conservative view of what marriage has been for a very long time. As Julia Gillard said -

I think that there are some important things from our past that need to continue to be part of our present and part of our future," she said. "If I was in a different walk of life, if I'd continued in the law and was partner of a law firm now, I would express the same view, that I think for our culture, for our heritage, the Marriage Act and marriage being between a man and a woman has a special status.​

Even Gillard doesnt believe that nonsense anymore as she has changed her position on SSM.

What should this teach the Liberal Party?

But yes, this should be pointed out. Consequences of past parliamentary actions / behaviours should always haunt the party in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A nuclear war is about to start, possibly a false flag event, and instead we're discussing SSM.
And football, and cricket, and various other sports, and music, and entertainment, and racing, and finance...........

I'm of the opinion that there is a heavy overlap of anti ssm groups and anti muslim immigration groups.

They are talking about the importance of democracy by letting everyone vote on this issue.

As we all know, muslims are quickly taking over this country and soon they will out number non-muslims.
So, when the muslim population hits 40%, would anyone against ssm still be arguing for a postal plebiscite's to change Australian laws? Because we all know the Muslims would stick together to vote a certain way.

What about when the muslim population hits 50%? Just one 22 year old not voting could mean we introduce sharia law.
What if we hit 51%?

Also, they aren't spread out evenly across Australia, the majority are in WA (Sharia Australia as they'll rename it). So only the WA reps and senate will be muslim controlled.
I wonder if mosques will be campaigning against SSM in a similar manner to certain Christian groups. My girlfriend thinks that gay marriage is morally wrong...

I wonder if mosques will be campaigning against SSM in a similar manner to certain Christian groups. My girlfriend thinks that gay marriage is morally wrong...
Probably.

Great to see this issue bringing rival groups together in opposition.

Which is the unfortunate truth for those who are voting no. However they try to justify or spin it, voting to deny gay people the same rights as others is an explicitly homophobic act.
Don't kid yourself. I know several SS couples who are for and against SSM. The ones against must be homophobic hey? Please explain that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back