Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't kid yourself. I know several SS couples who are for and against SSM. The ones against must be homophobic hey? Please explain that one.

I really, really doubt a homosexual couple are against homosexual rights.

Just my two cents, of course you cannot really prove or disprove your claim, but I am very dubious.

Just my two cents, of course you cannot really prove or disprove your claim, but I am very dubious.

I don't really understand it. 'I think it's better that we and other homosexuals can't get married.'

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you never seen Milo Yiannopolous?

A more self loathing cretin you would struggle to find.

Is it homophobic if it's deeply ingrained within the culture of your home country?

I guess you could argue it's a different type of homophobia than what's on offer in Australia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
More a dig at other posters. They won't give her a label as homophobic because she herself is from a marginalised minority group. Her view of no is ok. The rest of us no voters, however will still be labeled homophobic, with a bit of racist dusted on for extra sweetness

More a dig at other posters. They won't give her a label as homophobic because she herself is from a marginalised minority group. Her view of no is ok. The rest of us no voters, however will still be labeled homophobic, with a bit of racist dusted on for extra sweetness
What out.. the gays are coming to infect you with their gayness!

It's not even a plebiscite anymore, it's a survey.
A 1 hundred million dollar non-binding pop survey, which just became even more important now that the Government urgently requires another issue to divert attention from it's ineligible Deputy PM.
Hilariously they are now claiming it is somehow all Labours fault that they are nothing but a mindless rabble of self interested bumbling morons.

The non binding voluntary plebiscite or survey as it's now called (in an attempt to circumvent one possible High Court matter) is about Turnbull placating the dissidents in his party to diffuse major tensions and hold onto the leadership. It's $122 million pissed up against the wall. A disgrace.

Show some leadership Mr Turnbull, allow those elected to the Parliament to vote on the matter.

Last edited:
You are comparing the natural annual rate of marriage ie people who can get married at any time - with the number of people who got married after not being able to for many years. If you believe the hype you would expect a big surge from this backlog, but when given the opportunity less than 2% of Irish gays got married.

I think you will find you are horribly incorrect here. And confused about what marriage is about. Marriage isn't just about a lifelong commitment to one another. You have to be of an age to consent to sex. There are provisions that prohibit marriage between close family members. It's clearly about a sexual relationship between a man and a woman with a view to having children.

I reject your assertion that my arguments are homophobic. The pro-SSM camp said we shouldn't have a plebiscite because we couldn't have a respectful and civilised debate. Seems like it's true.
I think you are confused about what marriage is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are comparing the natural annual rate of marriage ie people who can get married at any time - with the number of people who got married after not being able to for many years. If you believe the hype you would expect a big surge from this backlog, but when given the opportunity less than 2% of Irish gays got married.
You're not understanding (a) the point I am making or (b) statistics generally.

The "surge from the backlog" as you put it, wasn't 2%, it was more like 25%. An increase from an annual average rate of 6% of a given population getting married to 8% is a 25% increase. The rate (I assume) will drop BACK to 6% of the population, representing a 25% decrease in the rate to fall back in line with the expected national average.

This destroys your argument on two fronts.

* "The gays don't really want the right to marry anyway!" Nonsense, at absolute worst, the statistics show they want the right just as much as straight people.
* "They didn't even take advantage of the right when it was given to them!" - In actual fact, the average marriage rate amongst gay people surged by 25% ABOVE the expected normal rate.

I think you will find you are horribly incorrect here. And confused about what marriage is about. Marriage isn't just about a lifelong commitment to one another. You have to be of an age to consent to sex. There are provisions that prohibit marriage between close family members. It's clearly about a sexual relationship between a man and a woman with a view to having children.
Absolute nonsense. Wanna know how I know this?

Because when people get married, the number of times they are asked about their desire or capabilities to have kids totals precisely zero. There are precisely NO conditions placed on marriage with respect to procreation, and precisely ZERO consequence for people who DO get married, but don't have kids.

Your use of this argument is silly because
(a) Its inconsistent, you will only apply this procreation thing for gay people, and not for the rest of society.
(b) hypocritical, as it wont apply for any other part of the community. An example....

Would you agree that it would be discriminatory to deny quadriplegics/people in wheelchairs access to a nightclub? If a nightclub owner said "no wheelchairs/paras/quads allowed!" should he be prosecuted?

Will I hear you cry: "but the main purpose of a nightclub is to dance! These people cant dance, so therefore they shouldn't be allowed in nightclubs!"

what about non drinkers being allowed into pubs? Whats your thought process on barring people into the local unless the buy a beer immediately upon entry?

The marriage = procreation is an excuse to be bigoted. Its that simple.
I reject your assertion that my arguments are homophobic. The pro-SSM camp said we shouldn't have a plebiscite because we couldn't have a respectful and civilised debate. Seems like it's true.
We question the ability to have a serious discussion because thus far, there haven't been any LEGITIMATE refutations of SSM.

The best you have come up with has been "but gays cant have kids!" and "They don't want it anyway!". Both have been shown to be nonsense.

Come up with something better, and we can have a serious discussion about it.

To wrap this up, I have a question for you:

How will it affect your life, my life, ANY STRAIGHT PERSONS life if we allow gay people to marry?

Don't kid yourself. I know several SS couples who are for and against SSM. The ones against must be homophobic hey? Please explain that one.

And the ones who are against gay marriage don't have to get married. It is pretty simple. I can understand their position - why would you want to be part of some ancient ritual largely controlled by a series of institutions that spend most of their time vilifying you?

Are homosexuals who are against gay marriage really going to deny other other homosexual couples who want gay marriage though?

To wrap this up, I have a question for you:

How will it affect your life, my life, ANY STRAIGHT PERSONS life if we allow gay people to marry?

Precisely! Summed up beautifully with the final two sentences. If no harm will come from a straightforward change which survey after survey shows the vast majority support what is the issue apart from religious bigotry and prejudice.

It's all happening, people are going to vote "no" due to equality supporters who are bullies. What are we voting on in the postal plebishite again?

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
The oppression of Political Correctness
The bullying by the Equality Supporters

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/965d919b9e73b600fba43a87e3ae72d9

“Have they really learned nothing from Brexit and Hillary “Basket of Deplorables” Clinton?”

Marcus said while she is “sympathetic” to same-sex marriage, “activists are almost sure to push many like me into the negative column.”

She said Lateline host Emma Alberici was one of the “worst offenders” for “breathlessly accosting Finance Minister Mathias Cormann” in an interview about a child who had been turfed out of home for coming out to his family.

But Alberici wasn’t taking the criticism lying down, sparking heated debate between the pair including accusations of bullying on both sides.

The Lateline host said it was “not very intellectually robust” to say that equality supporters were pushing advocates to vote “no” in the plebiscite.

It led Peter van Onselen to weigh in against Marcus’ position, while Daily Telegraph writer Miranda Devine accused Alberici of “bullying”.

It's all happening, people are going to vote "no" due to equality supporters who are bullies. What are we voting on in the postal plebishite again?

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
The oppression of Political Correctness
The bullying by the Equality Supporters

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/965d919b9e73b600fba43a87e3ae72d9

“Have they really learned nothing from Brexit and Hillary “Basket of Deplorables” Clinton?”

Marcus said while she is “sympathetic” to same-sex marriage, “activists are almost sure to push many like me into the negative column.”

She said Lateline host Emma Alberici was one of the “worst offenders” for “breathlessly accosting Finance Minister Mathias Cormann” in an interview about a child who had been turfed out of home for coming out to his family.

But Alberici wasn’t taking the criticism lying down, sparking heated debate between the pair including accusations of bullying on both sides.

The Lateline host said it was “not very intellectually robust” to say that equality supporters were pushing advocates to vote “no” in the plebiscite.

It led Peter van Onselen to weigh in against Marcus’ position, while Daily Telegraph writer Miranda Devine accused Alberici of “bullying”.

As PVO said on SKY yesterday, how sad a person lacking in any conviction would you have to be to change your vote simply because one small portion of the Yes or No campaign acted inappropriately.

Usually those that indicate they will vote No due to the "tone of the debate" on the Yes side, had no intentions of voting Yes in the first place. All the while ignoring the "tone of the debate" coming from the likes of Bronwyn Bishop who recently linked SSM with paedophilia and child killing.

In other big SSM news, the No campaign has just made a very large acquisition:

"margaret-court-joins-campaign-against-samesex-marriage-urging-no-vote"

Surely the person who thinks trans kids are "possessed by the devil" will help sway rational undecided swing voters. Right?

As PVO said on SKY yesterday, how sad a person lacking in any conviction would you have to be to change your vote simply because one small portion of the Yes or No campaign acted inappropriately.

Usually those that indicate they will vote No due to the "tone of the debate" on the Yes side, had no intentions of voting Yes in the first place. All the while ignoring the "tone of the debate" coming from the likes of Bronwyn Bishop who recently linked SSM with paedophilia and child killing.

Surely the person who thinks trans kids are "possessed by the devil" will help sway rational undecided swing voters. Right?

They need a few more celebrities, Abbott, Bolt & Howard only go so far. Getting Margaret Court will sway at least another 0.00000001%* of voters.

*Statistic created by me

Well you've thrown down the guantlet for yourself champ, edukate me.
I was referring to those who were using misdirection in your post rather than you. However, if you haven't grasped the core issue by page 284 there's little hope you ever will no matter who edukatz you.;)

I suspect a lot of the Yes campaign will be about getting people to return their survey papers as much as it will be about prosecuting the case. The s**t tone is going to come from the No side of the debate, who will then plead that they're being bullied when their bullshit is called out.
As an aside, I'm yet to speak to a gay person who is looking forward to the next few months.

I was referring to those who were using misdirection in your post rather than you. However, if you haven't grasped the core issue by page 284 there's little hope you ever will no matter who edukatz you.;)

Excellent! Sorry I'm like that teenage guy from The Simpsons at the holla-balloza festival (however it is spelt) who doesn't know if he is being sarcastic anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back