Recommitted Mason Cox [triggers contract extension for 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the club will try to move Cox on.

I agree that he could hold down the number 1 ruck spot at a few clubs and the ability to also play forward and kick goals, makes him a more than useful player. People also need to remember that the ball movement into our forward line, for the most part is atrocious.

Brisbane and G.W.S should both be interested.

I agree that he could hold down the number 1 ruck spot at a few clubs and the ability to also play forward and kick goals, makes him a more than useful player. People also need to remember that the ball movement into our forward line, for the most part is atrocious.

You also need to remember Cox salary is atrocious . He is not a young ruckmen , i don't think he will fit into Brisbane and G.W. S . He need to learn new chemistry with his new teammate and it take time . Why waste money and time on a project player ( he is not a natural footballer ) . Let him trigger contract extension .

He'd probably be too similar to the ideal role we have for McInerney, who's shown a lot of improvement in the ruck this season and is three years younger. We'd be looking to bring in someone who can hold down the number one ruck position, especially if Martin retires, as opposed to trying to turn Cox into one.

Whats his ability to Ruck for extended period of time , I dont think i have seen him Ruck more than 15 minutes a game to give Grundy a break
Well Grundy has missed 2 games in 4 years, in the 2 games he missed, Cox averaged 34 hitouts. Regardless, wouldn't play him as a full time ruck, maybe a 50-50 split with someone like Nankervis. Cox's endurance isn't terrible, but isn't great either.

Whats his ability to Ruck for extended period of time , I dont think i have seen him Ruck more than 15 minutes a game to give Grundy a break
He’s rucked two full games in his career, both in 2017. The first one he broke even with Paddy Ryder against Port Adelaide, the next one against Geelong he had 40 hit outs and 2 goals. Grundy hasn’t missed a game since then.

He’s rucked two full games in his career, both in 2017. The first one he broke even with Paddy Ryder against Port Adelaide, the next one against Geelong he had 40 hit outs and 2 goals. Grundy hasn’t missed a game since then.
Yeah but 2 games 3 years ago isn’t something to hang your hat on. I just can’t see any teams all that interested. Unless Collingwood pay a fair amount of his $$.

Last edited:
Yeah but 2 games 3 years ago is something to hang your hat on. I just can’t see any teams all that interested. Unless Collingwood pay a fair amount of his $$.
If his rumoured contract is true then I don’t see how a trade could be facilitated without us paying a portion of his salary. You’re right that it was 2 years ago, but it’s literally the only sample of him playing first ruck we have. Given he trains against Grundy weekly and has much more experience now, I can’t see his ruck craft being dramatically different now to back then.

As much as people got too excited about a couple of excellent games a couple of years back and over-rated him, I worry it's gone too far the other way.

He's not anything special but the way people go on about him suggests he's an Israel Folau tier spud. True he's basically getting games because of height but he does have tools that at his best does genuinely make Collingwood a better side. Yes you could argue that any giant could do that role....but how many people have Cox's height and have even the vaguest kind of movement?

$550k is an awful lot but personally unless someone got really keen I wouldn't be desperate to let him go.

Cox is actually a more than solid chop out ruck option. I think it’s about “bracing for contact”. As a ruck he knows he’s going to take body contact so he can brace and still use his height to get to the ball. As a forward he loses eye contact on his opponent so he can be pushed under the ball when he’s just not expecting it.

Best utilised as a 50/50 ruck/forward. Unfortunately for Mason when he runs cold he doesn’t get decent ruck time because of how good Grundy is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would a trade be to get him to Dogs. If he’s on 500k or close to it, maybe pies pay some.
There's already no point of us trading him for a late pick.

Cameron and Daniher are off the table. Brown/Gunston seem to be unavailable or we're not interested. Whatever replacement available on the market doesn't seem to be an upgrade on Cox anyways.

So why should we trade Cox in the first place? And then pay salary on top of that???

Is he that good as a first ruck? I don't see us chasing him if he's playing predominately forward.
Problem is that he’s barely played ruck for the last few years. Played a few games in Grundy absence a few years back. And did ok. From what we saw this year showed he didn’t go all that well in centre bounces. But can take a grab around the ground.

There's already no point of us trading him for a late pick.

Cameron and Daniher are off the table. Brown/Gunston seem to be unavailable or we're not interested. Whatever replacement available on the market doesn't seem to be an upgrade on Cox anyways.

So why should we trade Cox in the first place? And then pay salary on top of that???
Yeah that’s a fair point. But i can’t see him attracting a high pick. 3 round at best. Perhaps a trade for Schache.

What would a trade be to get him to Dogs. If he’s on 500k or close to it, maybe pies pay some.
Just a guess if it is mostly a salary cap dump but was about Cox + 37 for WB 2021 2nd and 3rd. Helps pies with points to match Daicos next year and salary cap relief, dogs get Cox and addt points for this year to help with JUH.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem is that he’s barely played ruck for the last few years. Played a few games in Grundy absence a few years back. And did ok. From what we saw this year showed he didn’t go all that well in centre bounces. But can take a grab around the ground.
Yeah that’s a fair point. But i can’t see him attracting a high pick. 3 round at best. Perhaps a trade for Schache.
Cox can be quite influential at centre bounces, but you just gotta make sure you don't make him run across the field for boundary stoppages, since he doesn't have the tank for that.

It is rumoured that we are interested in Schache, but I honestly just can't see how Schache adds more value than Cox to any team. We need a contested marking force deep inside 50, Cox provides that, and makes the smaller players around him better. Schache is anything but that.

Just a guess if it is mostly a salary cap dump but was about Cox + 37 for WB 2021 2nd and 3rd. Helps pies with points to match Daicos next year and salary cap relief, dogs get Cox and addt points for this year to help with JUH.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We're rumoured to be doing this regardless most likely in a separate deal.

Will look something like WBD 2020 1st + WBD 2021 2nd + WBD 2021 3rd for COL 2021 1st + COL 2020 2nd + COL 2020 3rd.

When did Schache last take 3 big grabs and kick three goals in a final? In the under 15's? Why would we trade Coxy for less than an equivalent (and don't say for a salary dump....cos that's just a media beat up) Matty Rendell is having fun (at CFC's expense) by supposidly giving out the inside goss on the Pies....why do ex's do that? :rolleyes:

When did Schache last take 3 big grabs and kick three goals in a final? In the under 15's? Why would we trade Coxy for less than an equivalent (and don't say for a salary dump....cos that's just a media beat up) Matty Rendell is having fun (at CFC's expense) by supposidly giving out the inside goss on the Pies....why do ex's do that? :rolleyes:
I only said Schache as he was linked in media. But tend to agree. Cox offers more.

Pies have a long standing interest in Bailey Dale so maybe a swap with something extra going Pies way as well.

Is he that good as a first ruck? I don't see us chasing him if he's playing predominately forward.
He has played two games as first ruck, both in 2017 when Grundy got suspended. The first he broke even with Paddy Ryder (in his AA year). The second, he had 40 hit outs and two goals vs Geelong.

Safe to say, that yes, he can absolutely play as first ruck. I’d go as far as saying it’s his best position and he wouldn’t be so maligned if he played that role instead of playing 90% forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back