Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally believe (from I heard), Redman is staying for less money at Essendon than what he would have gotten at Adelaide.

The sticky point was the length of the contract imo. No harm in the Crows keeping the Bombers honest and probably forcing them pay an extra 100 K P/A than what he actually is worth though.

It usually costs a premium to make a player move (your Blues would know about this).

Which feeds that BF narrative of "all our blokes took unders to stay because they love the club and everyone who left is a mercenary flog"

Well done. He's not the player the crows needed and it's good to see him stay put.

funny thats not what basicaslly every crows supporrter has been saying in here

Was never going to leave once the media started talking up the Bombers as being ‘back’ and that you can ‘trust them’. Redman is a solid player, you don’t want him actually defending a key forward one on one though.

Has he ever come out publically and said he was staying until he did? He was complimentary of the bombers but often the quote was he was leaving things until later. Amidst speculation that got reasonable traction at various points including the desperation angle that played out with the club deeming it necessary to pull out a full on presentation I would have thought a player who had always intended to stay might’ve said so or at least made it clear that was the choice. The way things played out seems more reminiscent of the Grundy chatter before he signed that monster deal.

Nothing wrong with his strategy to extract the maximum from the club but I cannot see how it was ever to the club's benefit that he and/or his manager allowed the speculation to be so rife.
It allowed us to remind the world of Simon Madden the Legend. Worth every cent.

Was never going to leave once the media started talking up the Bombers as being ‘back’ and that you can ‘trust them’. Redman is a solid player, you don’t want him actually defending a key forward one on one though.
You don't want a 187cm rebound half back flanker on a key forward?

Astonishing, thanks for the insight.

He’s not a key defender also seems weird to suggest the media is what kept him here

Well done. He's not the player the crows needed and it's good to see him stay put.
This, after all this:
If Twomey says he's staying it generally means the opposite. I think he said the same thing about Rankine.

I'm not sure about this. He may have told his club some time ago he was leaving. That doesn't stop his club offering new offers to try and sway him to change his mind. Redman has given them good service and if he leaves it won't change the timeframe when the Don's win their next flag. Generally once a player gives another club a commitment it doesn't matter what their current club offers. Likely the reason he may leaving is lifestyle and has nothing to do with money. These deals are done 12 months out in the offseason. I think clubs just need to be more mature in regards to the fact that a player will most likely leave under free agency.

I'm sure living under Dictator Dan Andrews the last 3 years is enough to make anyone want to leave.

I reckon he will stay in Victoria. May not be at Essendon though.

I reckon for players like Redman it's lifestyle. He knows he will get similar money at both clubs. I think the final factor is which club he sees winning a flag quicker. Maybe he thinks that's the crows. I think he would be right in that assumption as we just need to bolster our defence to win a flag. That and another decent mid.

I think he played his footy at glenelg so maybe he built up some good friendships here. Maybe there's a business opportunity here or a partner might wanna live here. There's always a myriad of factors.

All we know at this point is that it's a bad sign for a club if they haven't signed by round 18. That generally means that they are 100% gone from my past experience of losing crows players we didn't want to lose.

Has he signed yet?
The classic "Never wanted him anyway" backtrack that is clearly bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some blokes love mediocrity I guess

Bombers are building nicely and could still get there this year but from the noise we were hearing, felt like he was heading back home.

Redman is pivotel to their aspirations.
Likewise Parish but they have a couple of similar types already and Redman not so.

Bombers are building nicely and could still get there this year but from the noise we were hearing, felt like he was heading back home.

Likewise Parish but they have a couple of similar types already and Redman not so.

Ask any club whose team isnt in the window and they will say they are building nicely. They have gone alright this year (sort of) - who is to say that'll actually continue?

You aren't it until you are it and every demonstrable metric in the last 20 years has Essendon at mediocre or worse

Ask any club whose team isnt in the window and they will say they are building nicely. They have gone alright this year (sort of) - who is to say that'll actually continue?

You aren't it until you are it and every demonstrable metric in the last 20 years has Essendon at mediocre or worse
Not to pot shot back for the sake of it but I actually feel this should be a huge concern for the Crows. Everyone saying they are building nicely but this season was a huge missed opportunity IMO. Two of your three most important players are still a 34 year old key forward who is currently close to winning the Coleman and a 30 year old Laird (in December). Particularly in regards to Tex I would suggest thats not sustainable for the next couple of years and it won't be a simple replacement for Tex. I could certainly see Crows regressing in the short term if Tex doesnt at least maintain this level.

Not to pot shot back for the sake of it but I actually feel this should be a huge concern for the Crows. Everyone saying they are building nicely but this season was a huge missed opportunity IMO. Two of your three most important players are still a 34 year old key forward who is currently close to winning the Coleman and a 30 year old Laird (in December). Particularly in regards to Tex I would suggest thats not sustainable for the next couple of years and it won't be a simple replacement for Tex. I could certainly see Crows regressing in the short term if Tex doesnt at least maintain this level.
What? Laird has been below his best this year, Dawson and Rankine has gone pass him as important players to our line up. Agree on Walker but Fogarty has been below his best.

What? Laird has been below his best this year, Dawson and Rankine has gone pass him as important players to our line up. Agree on Walker but Fogarty has been below his best.
My comment certainly more targeted at Tex. Just adding in that Laird is still a very important player (by your own admission top 4) as well and is going to be 30 next season. Either way if I was a Crows fan I would be conerned about it.

Why did people ever think this?

Redman himself said Adelaide was no more home to him than Melbourne is. The bloke lived dead set 4 hours away from Adelaide. Do people in Albury think Melbourne is home?

i mean Jesus................I have never seen so many people just flatly disregard direct quotes before.

I live in Sydney, that's like my saying Coffs Harbour is home. I mean *s sake lol.

Very happy to keep him, one of my favourite players and I really rate him as an offensive weapon, has some weaknesses defensively but overall still a good defender and much better than the next bloke in line. Always think you should take quality established players if they want to head to your club but his role is not one you want to pay overs for IMO so Adelaide will be ok missing out on him.

Yep we have no replacement for Redman if he left we would have been stuffed

As for Parish I would be ok with letting him go we have Hobbs,Caldwell,Perkins that can cover him

The compo pick we get we could use to trade for a key forward

Back