Recommitted Will Day [re-signed for 4 years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn won't settle for anything less than your first round pick this season which is probably overs, I don't think they would blink/fall for the PSD card you pulled with the Swans with Dawson.

It does seem more likely than not he will re-sign with Hawthorn though
If we have a pick around 9-11, i'd pay it for Day assuming his body doesn't let him down and shows his midfield craft over the season

No soft tissue injuries yet I don't think.

Caddy got him in Round 2, 2021 (after a fine debut year) and fractured his ankle. He returned ahead of schedule in Round 13 and played 3 games, finishing with a career best game before his previous ankle injury flared up again.

The club decided to take a more cautious approach and he didn't return until Round 3 last year. He has since played 20 of a possible 23 games, with one of those missed due to concussion from a head high bump from Paddy Ryder. (Can't recall why he had two other single week absences - maybe soreness/rested?).

He's already copped some bullocking in the midfield this season and copped one pretty solid high bump and bounced back up every time. Been basically 1 major injury due to bad luck so far and seems more resitant to big knocks so far this year. Hopefully that continues.

Nice recount - one of the 2 missing games was the suspension for a high bump in the wet GWS game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will Day is gonna be a Hawk, announcement will come soon. It's been all over, although said (not hinted) by his manager he'd "recommit".

If we have a pick around 9-11, i'd pay it for Day assuming his body doesn't let him down and shows his midfield craft over the season

Hawks spend a couple of years getting his body right and just as he starts to play brilliant football we accept a minor upgrade on what we paid when drafted.

Pretty sure Hawks would expect 2 late 1sts for him.

Hawks spend a couple of years getting his body right and just as he starts to play brilliant football we accept a minor upgrade on what we paid when drafted.

Pretty sure Hawks would expect 2 late 1sts for him.
Doesn't matter what you spent. That's done.

If he's going - he's been an injury prone footballer that hopefully has a good final season for you. If he doesn't, the value would be incredibly low. If he does, you might get back what you spent, which is a good return on a player that doesn't want to play for you anymore.

Or maybe he does and he re-signs, then the whole discussion is moot.

No rush as its about to be announced
I'm not saying he won't be resigned, it will be shock if he doesn't, but the media is reporting different.

This is what I can see from last week:

Both South Australian clubs “have strong interest” in Hawthorn young gun Will Day, reports The Herald Sun.

The 21-year old, who was drafted to the Hawks out of West Adelaide with Pick 13 in the 2019 National Draft, has held off contract talks with the club on his expiring deal until season’s end.

Ongoing injury setbacks have been limited Day to just 34 senior games since he made his debut in 2020, having played over 12 games just once in his four seasons.

But the 191cm player put on more size over the off-season and is set to play increased midfield time this year as he eyes a career-best season for Sam Mitchell’s developing Hawks.

“We all know he has talent and he is important for Hawthorn and they aren’t making any secret of that,” Day’s manager Anthony McConville told The Herald Sun.

“For Will it is about seeing himself fitting into the team and what role he plays. We will see how it unfolds along the way. He has had a few injuries along the way but he wants to be the best version of himself. It will all play out but he just wants to play good footy.”

and then there's this:

HAWKS UP THE ANTE ON DAY

HAWTHORN is prepared to offer Will Day a four-year deal to remain at the club as the youngster's value rises with his midfield move.

So it looks to an outsider that Will is playing the field. It may be that Adelaide offers opportunity to "be the best version of himself" - whatever that means. Does Hawthorn offer this? What if Adelaide offer 5 years? That would be a better version surely, especially moving back home?

Where are you getting your information?

I'm not saying he won't be resigned, it will be shock if he doesn't, but the media is reporting different.

This is what I can see from last week:

Both South Australian clubs “have strong interest” in Hawthorn young gun Will Day, reports The Herald Sun.

The 21-year old, who was drafted to the Hawks out of West Adelaide with Pick 13 in the 2019 National Draft, has held off contract talks with the club on his expiring deal until season’s end.

Ongoing injury setbacks have been limited Day to just 34 senior games since he made his debut in 2020, having played over 12 games just once in his four seasons.

But the 191cm player put on more size over the off-season and is set to play increased midfield time this year as he eyes a career-best season for Sam Mitchell’s developing Hawks.

“We all know he has talent and he is important for Hawthorn and they aren’t making any secret of that,” Day’s manager Anthony McConville told The Herald Sun.

“For Will it is about seeing himself fitting into the team and what role he plays. We will see how it unfolds along the way. He has had a few injuries along the way but he wants to be the best version of himself. It will all play out but he just wants to play good footy.”

and then there's this:

HAWKS UP THE ANTE ON DAY

HAWTHORN is prepared to offer Will Day a four-year deal to remain at the club as the youngster's value rises with his midfield move.

So it looks to an outsider that Will is playing the field. It may be that Adelaide offers opportunity to "be the best version of himself" - whatever that means. Does Hawthorn offer this? What if Adelaide offer 5 years? That would be a better version surely, especially moving back home?

Where are you getting your information?
There's a few very good sources that are saying it's basically done Will Day has signed a 4 year deal on good coin to stay, and will be announced soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The signature would have cost plenty but the hawks had to have it no matter what …
Every club needs to at some point. You guys had to pay up for the twin towers.

Day is coming from a strong draft class but by end of year I wouldn't be surprised if people have him in the same light as or getting close to the Anderson, Serong, Green, Warners etc...

Every club needs to at some point. You guys had to pay up for the twin towers.

Day is coming from a strong draft class but by end of year I wouldn't be surprised if people have him in the same light as or getting close to the Anderson, Serong, Green, Warners etc...

Agreed, first you have to draft the talent and then you have to keep them.
Day looks a nice prospect and it’s crucial in this type of rebuild not to lose these boys and continue to build.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back