Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to pot shot back for the sake of it but I actually feel this should be a huge concern for the Crows. Everyone saying they are building nicely but this season was a huge missed opportunity IMO. Two of your three most important players are still a 34 year old key forward who is currently close to winning the Coleman and a 30 year old Laird (in December). Particularly in regards to Tex I would suggest thats not sustainable for the next couple of years and it won't be a simple replacement for Tex. I could certainly see Crows regressing in the short term if Tex doesnt at least maintain this level.

Ok so you listened to David King this week.

At the start of the year the consensus was this year was development and finals next year. We are a victim of being competitive in the first half of the season.

Now all of a sudden its a wasted year and Tex is only here for so long. Somehow this wasn't the concern at the start of the year.

It's mental gymnastics and ignores where we are actually and have come from as opposed to what narrative people prefer to drive l.

Not to pot shot back for the sake of it but I actually feel this should be a huge concern for the Crows. Everyone saying they are building nicely but this season was a huge missed opportunity IMO. Two of your three most important players are still a 34 year old key forward who is currently close to winning the Coleman and a 30 year old Laird (in December). Particularly in regards to Tex I would suggest thats not sustainable for the next couple of years and it won't be a simple replacement for Tex. I could certainly see Crows regressing in the short term if Tex doesnt at least maintain this level.

no way

Redman was a low chance at best to go to the crows. Missing out on him is not a huge concern for them at all.

Their list is young and strong in a lot of areas.

What? Laird has been below his best this year, Dawson and Rankine has gone pass him as important players to our line up. Agree on Walker but Fogarty has been below his best.
And I said Fogarty has been poor outside the bag he kicked against Carlton after returning from a PCL, Gollant is developing nicely in the SANFL and Thilthorpe has shown what he is capable off at the AFL level but is still very young and inconsistent. The forward line is less of a concern compared to our midfield but Rachele and Soligo need to kick on from their transition into the midfield this year, they both started very well but has faded as the years gone on which is expected of 2nd year midfielders and I still think Rankine can transition in there as well, he has been playing further up the ground and has looked elite.

Ok so you listened to David King this week.

At the start of the year the consensus was this year was development and finals next year. We are a victim of being competitive in the first half of the season.

Now all of a sudden its a wasted year and Tex is only here for so long. Somehow this wasn't the concern at the start of the year.

It's mental gymnastics and ignores where we are actually and have come from as opposed to what narrative people prefer to drive l.
You can believe me or not believe me but I’ve been saying this for months within my own friendship group (either way it’s irrelevant). Your most important player is a 34 yr old key forward. I’d be very concerned if it was me. Guess we will wait and see how it plays out.

no way

Redman was a low chance at best to go to the crows. Missing out on him is not a huge concern for them at all.

Their list is young and strong in a lot of areas.
My post was not about Redman.

It was my belief their entire forward line revolves around a 34 yr old Tex and at his age I think it’s more likely his performance declines over the next two years than maintains what he’s done this year. That was my point.

You can believe me or not believe me but I’ve been saying this for months within my own friendship group (either way it’s irrelevant). Your most important player is a 34 yr old key forward. I’d be very concerned if it was me. Guess we will wait and see how it plays out.
Jordan Dawson is neither 34 nor a key forward. But yes Tex is top 3....I'm not sure that's a dig on such a young team.

My post was not about Redman.

It was my belief their entire forward line revolves around a 34 yr old Tex and at his age I think it’s more likely his performance declines over the next two years than maintains what he’s done this year. That was my point.

i see your point but i disagree.

tex hangs around 2 more years whilst riley thilthorpe develops. Riley is like 21 for god's sake lol

Adelaide can also target a key forward over the next couple of seasons if that's an area they feel needs bolstering.

tex ages is irrelevant, he is still kicking goals.

Adelaide has alot of good things going for them IMO. Every team in the AFL has an area of weakness.

Maybe, maybe not. We started the year with 7 restricted free agents across the competition and so far none of them have re-signed, not even the ones who've said they want to.

Makes you wonder if there's stuff in the background that's waiting on the new CBA to be agreed, or at least an in-principle agreement about the players' money.

Posted it in the Parish thread but applies equally to Redman. Looks like Mitch Cleary has been reading BigFooty 👋

Mitch Cleary said:
People have been asking, ‘Hang on, why has it taken until round 20 for Mason Redman to sign, and Darcy Parish still to be unsigned?’ given, in history, it’s usually around the mid-season bye when players make their call.

The CBA (collective bargaining agreement) has been a bit different this year; the AFL is still working on it.

At a lot of clubs, what happens when a player signs a contract, they’ll have a ‘CBA uplift’ clause in there, where, just using speculative numbers, if the CBA were to rise by 15 per cent in two years, the player is entitled to that (increase). So, if you sign a $600,000 deal (and), in two years, (the CBA) rises by 15 per cent, your contract’s worth $690,000.

It looks after the player, so they’re not left behind.

Mitch Cleary said:
And speaking to other clubs today, I’ve since learnt that Essendon is a club that doesn’t put these (clauses) in all their contracts, and that’s what is the thought out there in terms of why the haggling for Redman only just signing, and there being a standoff in recent weeks around Darcy Parish, who’s been vocal about wanting to stay.

Geelong’s there ready at first slip if he was to decide to nick off and walk down the highway back to Geelong, but he’s wanting to stay at Essendon. And that’s where the haggling has fallen, in my view.

Speaking to other clubs and agents, Essendon’s history is not always do they put these CBA lifts in the deals.

It’s just one of the little quirks.

Mitch Cleary said:
Asked why the Bombers may have historically taken this stance with contract, Cleary suggested it could be for flexibility or simply to save money.

“And Essendon is seen as one of the clubs right now that has the most salary cap space in 2023 at their disposal,” Cleary added.

Posted it in the Parish thread but applies equally to Redman. Looks like Mitch Cleary has been reading BigFooty 👋

Don't think this would have impacted the Redman decision as the Crows like Dons are one of only a few sides which don't tend to build future CBA's into contracts.

May explain why both sides have oodles of cap space.

So may depend on what other clubs Parish is talking to.

Don't think this would have impacted the Redman decision as the Crows like Dons are one of only a few sides which don't tend to build future CBA's into contracts.

May explain why both sides have oodles of cap space.

So may depend on what other clubs Parish is talking to.
Yeah, perhaps. The other way to look at it is that since the CBA increases weren't going to be built into the contract either way, neither club may have known exactly what they had to work in 2024 and beyond, and the player/manager might have thought they'd get more by waiting.

Perhaps the AFL has given the clubs an indication of 2024 caps recently so they can move forward.

All that said, I finally got around to listening to his re-signing interviews and press conference stuff. You'd probably appreciate his interview with SEN, he talks about the process of making a decision and it seems to be quite honest.

He really did consider going to Adelaide and there was some pull due to growing up in SA. Also believes Adelaide is well-placed in terms of success, and is good friends with your captain. He's obviously quite nice about Essendon too, but he has to be, coz he just re-signed, so idk how much you want to read into it 😝

His partner was a bit less on the fence, she wanted to stay in Melbourne as she has a good job at the Royal Children's and has put roots down. He also mentioned that a lot of the decision revolved around them wanting to settle down and where they wanted to live and raise kids one day soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, perhaps. The other way to look at it is that since the CBA increases weren't going to be built into the contract either way, neither club may have known exactly what they had to work in 2024 and beyond, and the player/manager might have thought they'd get more by waiting.

Perhaps the AFL has given the clubs an indication of 2024 caps recently so they can move forward.

All that said, I finally got around to listening to his re-signing interviews and press conference stuff. You'd probably appreciate his interview with SEN, he talks about the process of making a decision and it seems to be quite honest.

He really did consider going to Adelaide and there was some pull due to growing up in SA. Also believes Adelaide is well-placed in terms of success, and is good friends with your captain. He's obviously quite nice about Essendon too, but he has to be, coz he just re-signed, so idk how much you want to read into it 😝

His partner was a bit less on the fence, she wanted to stay in Melbourne as she has a good job at the Royal Children's and has put roots down. He also mentioned that a lot of the decision revolved around them wanting to settle down and where they wanted to live and raise kids one day soon.
Sadly I think we were out by a year, because he wasn't enjoying his football as much last season.

We were in to him early this year & had reached in principle agreement with him apparently.

As I have been saying all the way along, money won't be the issue as he is going to get a decent deal from either team. Adelaide's offer wasn't as high as some have reported but a decent long term deal.

It was always going to come down to where he & his partner want to live, including friends & family.

Nice to have choice & to be wanted.

Back