Preview MATCH CANCELLED: AFL Round 14 - Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, 3:20PM Sunday 5 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the AFL will leave this choice to the Adelaide Football Club.

My gut feel is the Crows will forfeit awarding Geelong all 4 points.

I keep thinking about his wife and daughter. It's makes me far too upset, so I let my mind divert back to football.

The media has been ok about this

Tragic news

Adelaide need to do the right thing by its people, and take the heat out of the weekend by cancelling the weekend

This weekend should be a bye between Geelong and Adelaide.. Two premiership points should be given to each side. It is really the only way this would work in a fair way.. I am happy to do this due to the situation. I am sure Adelaide would be too.

I keep thinking about his wife and daughter. It's makes me far too upset, so I let my mind divert back to football.
I agree, as it is the crows decision

But the rest of the year if stuffed for the crows
Throws lives, contracts, futures into chaos

I'd hate to be danger today

I'd hope the game was forfeited, and that we would offer a nil-all draw.

Unfortunately, I can see the $$$ and the expectations of the TV networks, sponsors, betting sites etc forcing the issue.

I think there will be a game, whether it's SANFL players being elevated temporarily ala Essendon in the NAB challenge, not sure.

I trust that if AFC want to call the game off, GFC will do the right thing by the entire football world and graciously accept two premiership points.
Those of us with Twitter should hit up the club and ask that this be the case.

I don't want the Cats to have 4 points in those circumstances.

I think the whole rest of round 14 should be cancelled, mainly out of respect for Phil Walsh, but also due to the practical matter of what to do about fixture/points when the Crows v Cats game does not go ahead.

If the Crows choose not to play,which would be the sensible thing to do,points would most likely be split.
No way would Geelong get 4pts.It's not a forfeit due to some dispute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the whole rest of round 14 should be cancelled, mainly out of respect for Phil Walsh, but also due to the practical matter of what to do about fixture/points when the Crows v Cats game does not go ahead.

I'm not against it but I'm sure the AFL will have about 10 million rea$on$ why they can't/won't.

Please keep in mind we are dealing with the loss of a life here. Footy is just a game.
Keep it VERY respectful.

And I feel a bit disgusted I have to even mention this.

Have the AFL said so?

I have not seen anything yet ... but I suspect there are a whole lot of issues to work through in regards to it not being played.
  • TV Rights
  • Advertising
  • Catering
  • Revenue (stadium and club)
  • How the points would be awarded and the implications of whatever is chosen
Now from the above most of those are financial ... which sucks kind of, but it is a business, and those considerations (financial losses) would be a major driver here.

I just hope they do the right thing by the players and coaching staff (and those around them) first and consider the rest later.

Wife is in hospital while the daughter is overseas. Can't even imagine being her hearing the news and then getting on a plane for a very long flight home, what would be going through her head? Poor girl.

You sound dubious, Fred. I feel much the same- I highly doubt that the AFL will give up the chance to make money.
It's truly awful that most if would be thinking this of the AFL.

The reality is anything could and might happen if they play. Anyone who has been under extreme stress or in deep grief can snap. Too risky to proceed I reckon.

I'd hope the game was forfeited, and that we would offer a nil-all draw.

Unfortunately, I can see the $$$ and the expectations of the TV networks, sponsors, betting sites etc forcing the issue.

I think there will be a game, whether it's SANFL players being elevated temporarily ala Essendon in the NAB challenge, not sure.
If the game was forced to be played that would be absolutely stuffed. I think it will be hard not only for Adelaide but your boys as well.

I have not seen anything yet ... but I suspect there are a whole lot of issues to work through in regards to it not being played.
  • TV Rights
  • Advertising
  • Catering
  • Revenue (stadium and club)
  • How the points would be awarded and the implications of whatever is chosen
Now from the above most of those are financial ... which sucks kind of, but it is a business, and those considerations (financial losses) would be a major driver here.

I just hope they do the right thing by the players and coaching staff (and those around them) first and consider the rest later.

As money-hungry as the AFL is, I believe it will go along with any request the Adelaide Football Club makes.

That means that the match will almost certainly by cancelled and there's a good chance of the remaining seven matches being cancelled too.

Edit: I'm not saying that the AFC wants the whole round to be cancelled. I believe that if the Crows request for their match to be cancelled then the AFL will cancel the whole round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back