Matthew Lloyd: Time for Pendles to hand over reins

Is it time for Pendles to relinquish the captaincy?

• Yep

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Nup

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine.. a footballer being unintelligent or semi- literate. I'm stunned
That's really stumped me.

I just assume they all hang around Mensa in their off time

The biggest sporting club in England free transfered thier captain to free up money to have a title crack. They are now undefeated and title favs.
As great as Pendles has been for the club he wont be around for our next premiership window. Why not flog him off for a couple quality picks to rebuild the list? The last month and abit has proven that the team has functioned better in his absence.
Id much rather Josh Kelly running around for us on the same coin.

Also leads Treloar and Aish in 1 %ers
Sometimes I thnk our elite captain, not as appreciated as he should be.

Because he is so smooth and elegant on the field shouldn't lessen his impact recognition

Last edited:
If, and l mean if pendles was replaced as captain, which l don't want, looking from afar Steel has been very good and stepped up into the roll quiet well.
But as sco has said it's Pendlebury still.

The biggest sporting club in England free transfered thier captain to free up money to have a title crack. They are now undefeated and title favs.
As great as Pendles has been for the club he wont be around for our next premiership window. Why not flog him off for a couple quality picks to rebuild the list? The last month and abit has proven that the team has functioned better in his absence.
Id much rather Josh Kelly running around for us on the same coin.

Some will kick and scream over this but I would not be against it at all. Won't happen because we don't have the balls to make tough calls like this.

Sick of these Essendon sychophants in the media telling us how our club should be run.
You had a doping regime, you had a doping regime, and Watson/Slobbo/Lloyd/RC defended them till the end. No cred. Lloyd might be right, we have a heap of options who can take over the reigns in the coming years... I'd almost give it to Sidey for a year or two...

This topic is right up there with DIY hints on how to kill Bambi... but I reckon it might be time for a change. Doubts linger over Adams so maybe give Sidey a crack for a couple of years. Longer term I suspect a suitable candidate will emerge from Adams, Grundy, De Goey or even Maynard...

But either way it has to be done with great concern and respect for Pendles..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah because his record in big games is so appalling o_O
So Paul Dear, Stevie J, Brain Lake, JJ, ROK, Rioli & Embley should've been captains?

Sidey is the Perfect man to Captain when Adams gets rubbed out.
Good back up, if we don't have an alternative.

This board....

"Taylor Adams should be dropped!"

"Taylor Adams should be traded!"

"Taylor Adams should be our next captain!"

:drunk:
You forgot, Taylor Adams was a bad trade for Heater.

Adams could be a good captain but I would want proof that he is literate first. Like many of our players he comes across as very unintelligent.
Tony Shaw was a Rhodes Scholar too.

Sorry, I must've missed your point. What was it, not being a smartarse.
That's ok. I was responding to Kappa's assertion that he wouldn't want to be next to Sidey in the trenches. I reckon that's a bit unfair considering his record in finals and other big matches.

They struggle for different reasons. Treloar due to being spent when he kicks it. You can see with Tay that it's mental, he's a panic merchant. Needs a couple of more years I think.
Adams is just a below average kick. Treloar is much more of a panic merchant imo.

Adams is just a below average kick. Treloar is much more of a panic merchant imo.
I think it's a result of his run first think later mentality, I think when he has time and isn't running full pace he hits targets pretty well. He's young, over time as his body begins to slow him down he'll play smarter.

Why are we even discussing this? Because Matthew Lloyd suggested it? Pendles is still our best player and there is no obvious replacement that I can see anyway. Adams is tough but lacks the skills. Treloar doesn't strike me as captain material at all. Ditto Grundy. Sidebottom maybe. Unless Pendles actually wants to relinquish the role, then he keeps the job. I must say though that I have been a little surprised he hasn't been seen at the Club for a while.

Why are we even discussing this? Because Matthew Lloyd suggested it? Pendles is still our best player and there is no obvious replacement that I can see anyway. Adams is tough but lacks the skills. Treloar doesn't strike me as captain material at all. Ditto Grundy. Sidebottom maybe. Unless Pendles actually wants to relinquish the role, then he keeps the job. I must say though that I have been a little surprised he hasn't been seen at the Club for a while.

Pendles was in the rooms after the game on Saturday.

Back