Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are our Hinkley loving Crows fans this morning? 'An excellent coach' and similar crap. You know who you are :)

Try reading what the Pears own supporters think of this Dud. LONGEST ever VFL/AFL coach without a GF appearance at a club. Choked so many times in finals it aint funny (actually no its very funny). Ridiculous Rozee decision. He is totally clueless and without doubt bottom quartile (possibly bottom 1-2) IQ wise as a coach.

Then we have the large mass of Nicks bashers who berate him constantly but if I am not mistaken Nicks completely and utterly owns Kern. Daddy style.
You’ll need to elaborate as I’ve never read Hinkley loving Crows fans on our board, except the ones who want him to stay in the job forever as he’s s**t.

You’ll need to elaborate as I’ve never read Hinkley loving Crows fans on our board, except the ones who want him to stay in the job forever as he’s s**t.
overall thats correct most of us want him remaining as ongoing cheap entertainment value but theres definitely a couple of 'prominent' posters (think George Kramer mini-mes) that have spruiked Kenny and used the word excellent and Ken in the same sentence (which is amusing when you read what Power fans think about the man and his coaching abilities)

We can bag and laugh at Hinkley as much as we want but one of the things he attributed their poor conversion was their game style and not getting good shots on goal, ie coaching. He also admitted playing Rozee was a mistake. He’s taken ownership. Has Nicks?

Second when talking about our scoring, “we’ve seen what Adelaide can do when they move the ball with speed”

So what did Nicks work on all offseason? Slowing our ball movement to improve our defence that didn’t need improving with game style, it was going to happen with experience. This change is 100% fact.

So instead of being 3-5, we could easily have been 5-3 and with momentum towards the finals.

There is just no excuse or forgiving this. A lack of ownership with s**t for brains. Get rid of the spud, he will never be a premiership coach.
Campo on 5AA after the game mentioned all we did in the pre-season was work on defence and contested ball, which is why he thinks it's taken a month+ to work into some better form offensively.

Like I get you may want to improve those areas, but to 100% neglect an area of the game, especially one we were so good at sounds crazy to me.

overall thats correct most of us want him remaining as ongoing cheap entertainment value but theres definitely a couple of 'prominent' posters (think George Kramer mini-mes) that have spruiked Kenny and used the word excellent and Ken in the same sentence (which is amusing when you read what Power fans think about the man and his coaching abilities)
Sorry but that’s a cop out “Hinkley loving Crows fans”. You’re making out like there’s a number of them. State who they are

Sorry but that’s a cop out “Hinkley loving Crows fans”. You’re making out like there’s a number of them. State who they are
George, I dont have the time to bookmark, search and spend time on BF as others have the luxury to. I rely on a pretty solid memory. That said, I will try and use some secret herbs and spices on the weekend to identify the poster - and those who agreed with her/him

There's a lot of similarities between them and us in that 2007-09 period. We would make the finals courtesy of thumping the s**t teams but our flag window was shut. 2020/21 was their 05/06.

Campo on 5AA after the game mentioned all we did in the pre-season was work on defence and contested ball, which is why he thinks it's taken a month+ to work into some better form offensively.

Like I get you may want to improve those areas, but to 100% neglect an area of the game, especially one we were so good at sounds crazy to me.

I think Tex missing and then slow start had as bigger impact anything. He wasn't great last night but definitely helps our forward movement.

I think Tex missing and then slow start had as bigger impact anything. He wasn't great last night but definitely helps our forward movement.
It wasn't just the slow forward entries though, there was no run and the ball movement to get a forward entry was very stagnate.

I’ve never been so dirty on Nicks as I was for subbing Curtin, completely unnecessary

I can see why he did it. Curtin was the easy option and he was panicking about a Port comeback.

Curtin is a runner though. Port threw JHF into the forward 50 and he did what he wanted. Someone like Curtin who is a natural runner may have at least curtailed Ports want to kick it in his direction due to his height and marking ability. Plus it would have been an exceptional lesson for the kid to watch the running patterns from an elite player.

Or we could have thrown Curtain forward even had him deep in the square to make Port panic with their defensive choices. I don't know, im not a fan of using a debutant as an easy choice. They are their to learn and grow, they can't do that watching a quarter and a half on the bench.

But this is Nicks. Does it surprise anyone. He probably told Curtain he would be a tactical change before the game started. I truly hope, he doesn't use this as an excuse to drop him next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are our Hinkley loving Crows fans this morning? 'An excellent coach' and similar crap. You know who you are :)

Try reading what the Pears own supporters think of this Dud. LONGEST ever VFL/AFL coach without a GF appearance at a club. Choked so many times in finals it aint funny (actually no its very funny). Ridiculous Rozee decision. He is totally clueless and without doubt bottom quartile (possibly bottom 1-2) IQ wise as a coach.

Then we have the large mass of Nicks bashers who berate him constantly but if I am not mistaken Nicks completely and utterly owns Kern. Daddy style.
Pretty sure no one loves Ken (other than his big game results)
As a coach Hinkley has far more runs on the board than nicks, even if most are singles.
They are 3:3 so no one owns either.

I can see why he did it. Curtin was the easy option and he was panicking about a Port comeback.

Curtin is a runner though. Port threw JHF into the forward 50 and he did what he wanted. Someone like Curtin who is a natural runner may have at least curtailed Ports want to kick it in his direction due to his height and marking ability. Plus it would have been an exceptional lesson for the kid to watch the running patterns from an elite player.

Or we could have thrown Curtain forward even had him deep in the square to make Port panic with their defensive choices. I don't know, im not a fan of using a debutant as an easy choice. They are their to learn and grow, they can't do that watching a quarter and a half on the bench.

But this is Nicks. Does it surprise anyone. He probably told Curtain he would be a tactical change before the game started. I truly hope, he doesn't use this as an excuse to drop him next week.

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a load management call. 5 day break for a first year player, and given the starting sub was in his position, it could well have been a case of look after the high draft pick and don’t push him too hard too early.

Nicks better not make a habit of it though.

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a load management call. 5 day break for a first year player, and given the starting sub was in his position, it could well have been a case of look after the high draft pick and don’t push him too hard too early.

As I said, I can see why he did it. I just hope he doesn't resort to subbing him out against Brisbane and Collingwood. He needs full games.

Depends if we keep him in the side. Subbing him out vs Port to keep him fresh for next week is a lot better than subbing him out and dropping him after one game (like we did with Worrell).

Depends if we keep him in the side. Subbing him out vs Port to keep him fresh for next week is a lot better than subbing him out and dropping him after one game (like we did with Worrell).

its a 10 day break. So he should be very refreshed by the Brisbane game. So it should not have been a concern.

I know we're an emerging team which is still young against most other teams. However, I saw the Footscray VFL team and realised not only is our AFL team young, our depth is almost non-existent!!

I cannot think of any conceivable excuse we have for playing injured or out of form players.... Other than coaching cowardice!!. I see 5-6 players in our SANFL team who deserve a debut this year even if only to get them training, playing, thinking, believing and engaged in a major league AFL footballers mindset rather than the "small town/ suburban" outlook on footy. Come on coaches. You're failing the greater AFC by not being braver.

Footscray VFL team 4/5/24

B:
Croft, L. Smith, Gilbee,
HB:
Bedendo 2, Daniel 181, Lobb 163
C:
A. Jones 13, Freijah, Cleary 5
HF:
Poulter 23, Keath 104, Busslinger
F:
Scott 57, Spicer, Craig-Peters
R:
Gardner 53, McNeil 43, Sanders 6
IC:
Willoughby, Bianco, Orgill, Hunt, Maple

Total AFL experience available as depth 703

AFC SANFL team 4/5/24

B: Ryan. Borlase 8. Clifford

HB: Boyle. Burgess 40. Hamill 41

C: Schoenberg 57. Boyle. Bond

HF: Tahana. Madgen. Smithson

F: Dowling. Murray. Gallagher

R: Strachan 5. Edwards. Taylor

IC: Welsh. Davis. Sigal. Whimpress. O’Leary

Total AFL experience available as depth 151

I know we're an emerging team which is still young against most other teams. However, I saw the Footscray VFL team and realised not only is our AFL team young, our depth is almost non-existent!!

I cannot think of any conceivable excuse we have for playing injured or out of form players.... Other than coaching cowardice!!. I see 5-6 players in our SANFL team who deserve a debut this year even if only to get them training, playing, thinking, believing and engaged in a major league AFL footballers mindset rather than the "small town/ suburban" outlook on footy. Come on coaches. You're failing the greater AFC by not being braver.

It is pure coaching cowardice.

Footscray VFL team 4/5/24

B:
Croft, L. Smith, Gilbee,
HB:
Bedendo 2, Daniel 181, Lobb 163
C:
A. Jones 13, Freijah, Cleary 5
HF:
Poulter 23, Keath 104, Busslinger
F:
Scott 57, Spicer, Craig-Peters
R:
Gardner 53, McNeil 43, Sanders 6
IC:
Willoughby, Bianco, Orgill, Hunt, Maple

Total AFL experience available as depth 703

AFC SANFL team 4/5/24

B: Ryan. Borlase 8. Clifford

HB: Boyle. Burgess 40. Hamill 41

C: Schoenberg 57. Boyle. Bond

HF: Tahana. Madgen. Smithson

F: Dowling. Murray. Gallagher

R: Strachan 5. Edwards. Taylor

IC: Welsh. Davis. Sigal. Whimpress. O’Leary

Total AFL experience available as depth 151

Have a look at the games played by the AFL team as well compared to the Dogs. That’s what a rebuild does!
Imagine if Nicks was playing Busslinger and Sanders in the ressies

Sanders the gun mid high end pick and Busslinger the first round pick from WA in his 3rd year yet to debut!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have a look at the games played by the AFL team as well compared to the Dogs. That’s what a rebuild does!
Imagine if Nicks was playing Busslinger and Sanders in the ressies

Sanders the gun mid high end pick and Busslinger the first round pick from WA in his 3rd year yet to debut!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sanders must hate that campaigner Bevo. He was going well before subbed out. Then Bevo drops him for being pissed about it.

Back