MCC Members - Campaign to re-instate walk-up seating to all games

Remove this Banner Ad

Grey Smith Bar

All Australian
Mar 15, 2007
The Mountains
AFL Club
Essendon
As the heading states we are starting a campaign for the MCC to return walk-up seating to all games:

We are finding that most members don't even know that the system is not going away as we emerge from Covid restrictions and it's the club's intention to retain the booking system.

We do recognise that some people prefer reserve seating but the balance has shifted way too far especially now that visitors are displacing members from the prime L2 / L3 seats.

Additionally elderly members are disproportionately affected as they will find it very hard at 9am during the Ticketek rush to obtain seats in their favoured area.

Once you've joined the group, invite all your MCC Member-friends, and get them to invite their member-friends and so on and so forth.

As the heading states we are starting a campaign for the MCC to return walk-up seating to all games:

We are finding that most members don't even know that the system is not going away as we emerge from Covid restrictions and it's the club's intention to retain the booking system.

We do recognise that some people prefer reserve seating but the balance has shifted way too far especially now that visitors are displacing members from the prime L2 / L3 seats.

Additionally elderly members are disproportionately affected as they will find it very hard at 9am during the Ticketek rush to obtain seats in their favoured area.

Once you've joined the group, invite all your MCC Member-friends, and get them to invite their member-friends and so on and so forth.
This seat booking systems part of a broader plan to lock in pre booked seats, with next step being charging an additional booking fee to secure a seat. The MCC won’t tell you…. Yet. The AFL members cop a $10 charge. You watch.. A way to up sell its members to pay for its next stand. Don’t believe the MCC when they deny this and allay members fears whilst justifying it.

I’m an MCC member. The facilities and offerings are terrible this year. Bars and outlets closed. Long lines. I’m not bothering going atm.

This seat booking systems part of a broader plan to lock in pre booked seats, with next step being charging an additional booking fee to secure a seat. The MCC won’t tell you…. Yet. The AFL members cop a $10 charge. You watch.. A way to up sell its members to pay for its next stand. Don’t believe the MCC when they deny this and allay members fears whilst justifying it.

I’m an MCC member. The facilities and offerings are terrible this year. Bars and outlets closed. Long lines. I’m not bothering going atm.
Fortunately the MCC is a club, and you only need 150 signatures from Full Members to call a Special General Meeting. That will get things out in the open very quickly.

My biggest concern is that they will try to remove walk-up completely, especially for grand finals.

Anyway, starting a petition is a better solution than the 20 people I saw queued up complaining at the club office about 15 mins before the start of Melbourne v Hawthorn. The poor girls on the front counter can't do anything about it.

How does this work?
Surely they can just book tickets the night before.

They're old, it's not like they have to work or do anything else except drink soup and watch midsomer murders etc.

How does this work?
Surely they can just book tickets the night before.

They're old, it's not like they have to work or do anything else except drink soup and watch midsomer murders etc.
Toump, I know it's part of your schtick, but you really are being a dick. Knock it off.

My old man is in his 70's. Not all that tech savy (but a lot moreso than most of his friends). He really struggles trying to book tickets before getting timed out.

You have to give everyone's details and phone number, and for a group booking that can be significant, and the pricks have the audacity to time you out!

Why have a time limit at all? It's bullshit.

I called up and ranted to the MCC for 20 minutes about this. They said their research shows that some members like rocking up 2 minutes before the bounce knowing they have seats booked. I told them that was a bullshit argument because there was always a mix a pre-booked and walk up available - even at the Grand Final. They said they'd take it on board 🙄

My old man is in his 70's. Not all that tech savy (but a lot moreso than most of his friends). He really struggles trying to book tickets before getting timed out.

You have to give everyone's details and phone number, and for a group booking that can be significant, and the pricks have the audacity to time you out!

Why have a time limit at all? It's bullshit.
I have real trouble with the payment gateway if I am paying the $3 for my kids, it always fails. And I am a web developer.

I called up and ranted to the MCC for 20 minutes about this. They said their research shows that some members like rocking up 2 minutes before the bounce knowing they have seats booked. I told them that was a bullshit argument because there was always a mix a pre-booked and walk up available - even at the Grand Final. They said they'd take it on board 🙄
I have no doubt that there's a place for reserved seats, but to go from one extreme to the other is well beyond the committee's role with no member consultation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm genuinely curious what the hell the Ticketek Rush is, or why people need to book tickets at 9am?
No you're not. But if you were, I'd tell you that all the decent seats (which should be reserved for members*) will be gone to guest passes and the more tech savy theatre goers who are no guarantee to even turn up.

*dependant upon category of the game

No you're not. But if you were, I'd tell you that all the decent seats (which should be reserved for members*) will be gone to guest passes and the more tech savy theatre goers who are no guarantee to even turn up.
Nah, I was.

Me being a dick would be saying your Dad's an idiot and I'm glad he can't use a computer so I can take his seat instead.
See the difference?

How many H&A games are fully reserved??

ANZAC day, any others?

Will a Dees MCC member be able to walk up, scan and sit at whatever seat is available this Sunday? I think the answer is yes.

And people who cant get there when the gates open, but want to reserve a seat, also have the choice to do that.

Cos the best seats on Level 3 disappear almost immediately.
Yeah no s**t.
I have to wake up early to secure a nice spot and that's a pain in the arse too?

Inconvenience me, or inconvenience people who have had many years enjoying nice MCC privilege. Same s**t.

How many H&A games are fully reserved??

ANZAC day, any others?

Will a Dees MCC member be able to walk up, scan and sit at whatever seat is available this Sunday? I think the answer is yes.

And people who cant get there when the gates open, but want to reserve a seat, also have the choice to do that.
Every game was fully ticketed until the MCC received backlash. Now they are re-categorising

Every game was fully ticketed until the MCC received backlash. Now they are re-categorising
Wasnt that aligned to COVID ticketing requirements?

As that has been relaxed, the rd6-9 ticketing block enabled walk up.

Even ANZAC eve you could walk up.

You are a Dee, next Sunday against the Saints...you can just walk in and scan if you want.

Wasnt that aligned to COVID ticketing requirements?

As that has been relaxed, the rd6-9 ticketing block enabled walk up.

Even ANZAC eve you could walk up.

You are a Dee, next Sunday against the Saints...you can just walk in and scan if you want.
You just said "ANZAC day, any others?"
I pointed out the others.

ANZAC eve was fully ticketed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back