Geelong
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Still a Saint?
Scorpions captain?
SANFL?
Trade?
Bigger role next yr if Harves retires?
And what does he have to do to get a run atm? at least he was in the frame last weekend, hope he gets picked soon.

Adrian Shelton said:
Still a Saint?
Scorpions captain?
SANFL?
Trade?
Bigger role next yr if Harves retires?
And what does he have to do to get a run atm? at least he was in the frame last weekend, hope he gets picked soon.

If you asked 10 different Saints supporters you'd probably get 10 different responses.

Personally I'm a big fan of his and that opinion doesn't exactly do much for my credibility amongst some of my mates that follow the Saints.

I saw a lot of his matches in the VFL last year and was very impressed. I was told that he played most of last season carrying a groin injury and that seems to have been confirmed by his operation over the pre-season that has delayed the start to his year.

His disposal is his achillies heel. Even his most ardent supporter would agree with that. I have to admit that I'm yet to see him play in the VFL so far this season and I'd be interested to hear if his disposal has improved. Poor kicking is an obvious symptom of a groin injury. Another weakness is his decision making. It's one thing to get the ball but sometimes he is a little slow to make a decision and ends up with a nothing kick that lacks penetration or puts his teammate under pressure.

He had another 40 possessions on the weekend and just racks up about getting the ball. His ability to find the football is as good as anyone going round.

I really don't know what his future holds but I'd like to think that he would be given a chance before the season is out. With Harvey, Peckett, Powell and Thompson all in the twilight of their careers we will need a new batch of midfielders coming through. His ball winning ability in the centre of the ground could be of real benefit to a team that lacks a quality ruckman. I wouldn't think the likes of Fiora and Montagna would mind playing alongside a guy that will go in and win the hard ball and distribute it to the runners going by either.

As an outsider I think he should be playing. He has been stiff to miss out. He finds it a lot. Fair enough he doesnt have pace but once he gets it he uses it and brings others into the game.

From this thread

StKildonan said:
I think he will be a regular in our 2007 lineup.
The pending retirements of Harvey, Peckett, Thompson and possibly Powell will give McGough a real opportunity to cement a spot.
He would be ready made for replacement of Powell or Thompson.

014066ap.jpg

Informer said:
As an outsider I think he should be playing. He has been stiff to miss out. He finds it a lot. Fair enough he doesnt have pace but once he gets it he uses it and brings others into the game.
I'd agree that he can find it, but his disposal and decision making under pressure has let him down. Be great if this side of his game improved.

I reckon he's ready to rip it apart :D

Now it's McGoughs time to shine. With Hayes out and desperately needing midfielders it's now or never. I think he'll make the grade and become one of our best midfielders.

:)

I agree with you _Ron_, the Saints are starting to look a little light in the midfield with Hayes out, Powell seemingly past it.

McGough is a nice size for a midfielder and if he continues to put on muscle he may end up similar dimensions to Lenny. His first match this year was quite impressive, carrying his excellent form from the Scorpions into the AFL.

He is a nice fit with the Saints as he is quite capable of doing a lot the in and under work that frees up our ball carriers to race away with it.

Luke Ball is slowly picking up his game, and while he has not yet returned to his form of last year, he is gaining match fitness despite carrying his abdominal soreness.

Dal Santo will be tagged mercilessly now that Hayes is out. This may mean some poorer performances for both him and the Saints, but he will school on this and adapt his game - making him an even better player long term.

McQualter will need to step up now. He is a little light for some of the roles he has found himself in, so we need to focus on his strengths, his speed off the mark, his evasive skills and his coolness under pressure. He has the pace to catch players and lay tackles.

Andrew Thompson and Steven Baker have been playing roles in the midfield with both offensive and tagging components.

A bit more support for him from the crowd would be nice too.

There's nothing I hate more than sitting near people that have pre-conceived ideas on a player and let nothing change their mind.

It may seem that he has been around forever but he's still only 21 years old. As _Ron_ said he's got his chance now and I hope he can take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

_Ron_ said:
Now it's McGoughs time to shine. With Hayes out and desperately needing midfielders it's now or never. I think he'll make the grade and become one of our best midfielders.

:)

A bit slow however Lenny is not super quick. Disposal still a bit sloppy, but hitting the target much more now than in his teen years. Gets the hard ball, and can really set up Saints attacking thrusts.

Now if Fiora could only grow some gonads :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back