Rumour McGovern wants out, hates us now and wants us to BURN IN HELL!!!1!!!11!

Does Shooter want to leave?

• Yes, he hates us and wants to go

Votes: 111 50.9%
  • No, he loves us and wants to stay

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • He also listens to The Clash

Votes: 31 14.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If McGovern does leave, it will be the best chance of getting Rankine (which they really need with the decline form of Betts), open the salary room to possibly get Lycett who will be on the same $600K salary per season as McGovern and also open a forward position for Himmelberg/Fogarty next year.....let's get this deal done Crows.
You don’t want Lycett on 600k

I think he’d make a very good 3rd tall defender, not a CHB though.

I agree that he’s a potentially a dangerous forward, but it’s a good question where he suits us best.

As our 4th tall forward I don’t think he gets enough footy funneled through him to be genuinely successful up forward. Not his fault, but there’s only so much ball to go around and at present, rightly or wrongly, Jenkins, Walker and Betts are probably our main I50 targets.

The other issue is as our 4th tall, we probably lose a midfield rotation. Take Gov out of the forward line, we can still funnel Greenwood through if we need an extra marking tall, but also have the ability to rotate an extra mid forward.

Anyway, hope he stays as is an unbelievable talent and is an asset to have forward or back.

He is not a key position player at AFL level and is a utility at best. Like Otten on steroids. If a club based their whole forward line around him they would suffer, greatly.

He’s seems to be a tough player to coach to get his mindset away from settling in as a pure forward. He’s an immense talent if his brain catches up with him otherwise.

I think Crows are on the right track with him and hope he stays but if he’s demanded elsewhere his contract status really puts us in a strong position in trade period.

Greenwood is more than capable as an extra “tall” target, plus is a clearance beast through the midfield.

The only conflict I have with this, is I want to get games into Fogarty. Although maybe we play Fog as 3rd tall defender for a year, shuffle Doedee into the Kelly/Cheney role as medium defender.

Fog needs to become a monster mid that can play forward

Tex, JJ and Lynch are licks as forwards so we need the Fog to get the miles his legs and build his endurance to give the coached more selection options with his magnet

He is not a key position player at AFL level and is a utility at best. Like Otten on steroids. If a club based their whole forward line around him they would suffer, greatly.

He’s seems to be a tough player to coach to get his mindset away from settling in as a pure forward. He’s an immense talent if his brain catches up with him otherwise.

I think Crows are on the right track with him and hope he stays but if he’s demanded elsewhere his contract status really puts us in a strong position in trade period.

I wouldn’t base a whole forward line around him, but couple him with another decent sized key forward and he’d do a fair job. Some of his best games up forward thus far have been when filling in for Tex.

Richmond base their forward line around a guy who’s not too disimilar to Gov in size and style as their only tall forward.

I agree, he’d probably struggle if forced to walk into say Freo’s forward line and suddenly be their best tall forward.

Fog needs to become a monster mid that can play forward

Tex, JJ and Lynch are licks as forwards so we need the Fog to get the miles his legs and build his endurance to give the coached more selection options with his magnet

Agreed, regardless of whether he becomes predominantly a forward or midfielder, he needs to focus on building the tank and agility to be a midfielder. As a forward, you can’t rely solely on marking, the ability to win the ground ball and manoeuvre through traffic is invaluable.

If he goes Berg will slot straight in just like Doedee did. We then get a.couple.of first rounders and set our future up whilst losing little right now.

Gov could be a better.player ar CHB than as a forward anyway. If he stays that is his role.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not Berg though his future is certainly bright.

Fogarty is the one who'll slot in there.

I'd rather trade gov now then risk him not taking to CHB and us being stuck with a 600k player with no real role.

I wouldn’t base a whole forward line around him, but couple him with another decent sized key forward and he’d do a fair job. Some of his best games up forward thus far have been when filling in for Tex.

Richmond base their forward line around a guy who’s not too disimilar to Gov in size and style as their only tall forward.

I agree, he’d probably struggle if forced to walk into say Freo’s forward line and suddenly be their best tall forward.

If he requests a trade then it it’s clear him and his manager believes he’s a CHF or somewhere along the lines and deserves the big bucks. And why not he has a good highlight reel.

However as AFC supporters we see what happens in between the highlights, and there is a bit of work to do there. He’s a great pack mark but gets shut down pretty easily given how many other forwards we have. Not to mention you lose a lot of using his speed and athleticism by giving him a rigid forward role.

Crows have him doing what he should do best but maybe he disagrees and ultimately it’s his choice and hope we benefit really well if he goes.

If he requests a trade then it it’s clear him and his manager believes he’s a CHF or somewhere along the lines and deserves the big bucks. And why not he has a good highlight reel.

However as AFC supporters we see what happens in between the highlights, and there is a bit of work to do there. He’s a great pack mark but gets shut down pretty easily given how many other forwards we have. Not to mention you lose a lot of using his speed and athleticism by giving him a rigid forward role.

Crows have him doing what he should do best but maybe he disagrees and ultimately it’s his choice and hope we benefit really well if he goes.
I think it is best for his career to move on.

Maybe the real change is us getting Fog and seeing a first round draft pick, wearing number 32 no less, is gunning for his position.

At a club with a decent midfield without Tex and Jenkins as the one and two key forwards we will do well.

If he stays with us he will always be the guy who drifts in and out of games. Having said that his clutch ability is what we will miss the most. Having someone of his ability to go to for an important goal when teams.lock down in Tex and Jenkins.

Although Fog may be just as good in key moments of a game. It is a great role for Fog to have at this age. Protection from Tex and Jenkins and by the time he is 23/24 both will be gone and he is ready to be his own man. As Gov is now.

I think it is best for his career to move on.

Maybe the real change is us getting Fog and seeing a first round draft pick, wearing number 32 no less, is gunning for his position.

At a club with a decent midfield without Tex and Jenkins as the one and two key forwards we will do well.

If he stays with us he will always be the guy who drifts in and out of games. Having said that his clutch ability is what we will miss the most. Having someone of his ability to go to for an important goal when teams.lock down in Tex and Jenkins.

Although Fog may be just as good in key moments of a game. It is a great role for Fog to have at this age. Protection from Tex and Jenkins and by the time he is 23/24 both will be gone and he is ready to be his own man. As Gov is now.

I'd actually say Greenwood would be the better player to take the Gov role if he were traded. FOG to me is a Tex's eventual replacement, and maybe he goes back and plays some full back while he develops.

Apparently he's looked good in the 2's as a FB

I'd actually say Greenwood would be the better player to take the Gov role if he were traded. FOG to me is a Tex's eventual replacement, and maybe he goes back and plays some full back while he develops.

Apparently he's looked good in the 2's as a FB

If Fog is Texs eventual replacement then the best place to learn the craft is as a third tall at this level.

I'm sure we can use him as a swing man and get Greenwood up forward for a bit as a rotation, however equally, Greenwood isn't moving out of our midfield anytime soon.

I agree with most of what you say, but I'm not sure about the bolded bit.

In 2016, he only played one game without Tex - kicking 4 goals at home against a very weak Essendon team made up of bit part players.

In 2017, the two games without Tex were Round 1 (GWS at home - 15 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals) and Round 23 (6 disposals, 2 goals - a bruise free match away at WCE).

In 2018, without Tex he played Round 1 (Essendon away - 9 disposals, 1 goal); Round 7 (Carlton at home, 5 goals 3 from 16 touches and 9 marks); Round 18 (Brisbane away, comeback match from injury, 9 touches and no score); Round 22 (North at home, 15 touches, 9 marks and 2 goals), and Carlton away on Saturday night (16 touches, 7 marks). The last 3 games listed he spent chunks of time in defence.

His two best games up forward without Tex were against two truly awful teams at home (Essendon 2016 and Carlton 2018). The most encouraginge games as a key forward are GWS game at the start of last year and maybe the North game a week ago.

There's something about his playing style that suggests he'd go OK as a secondary target, but I don't think there's enough in his track record to support that it's a certainty that it would work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the Himmelberg - JJ combination for our future forward line, and that will only be enhanced if we can grab Lukosius or even Rankine - or both. Fogerty has a place there too, but I am hoping he can develop into a Riccuito style midfielder.
I am worried about the Texan; and Eddy is just not as potent as in the past. If our forward line continues to be based around Tex, JJ and Eddy, we will just be making up the numbers - especially if we put Douglas in there too. Lynch always adds something but he wont be able to turn that lot around. Ideas anyone?

I like the Himmelberg - JJ combination for our future forward line, and that will only be enhanced if we can grab Lukosius or even Rankine - or both. Fogerty has a place there too, but I am hoping he can develop into a Riccuito style midfielder.
I am worried about the Texan; and Eddy is just not as potent as in the past. If our forward line continues to be based around Tex, JJ and Eddy, we will just be making up the numbers - especially if we put Douglas in there too. Lynch always adds something but he wont be able to turn that lot around. Ideas anyone?

I wasn't overly impressed with the Berg but I also think that I am being too critical too early. I thought he was a little slow and he certainly needs more strength if he is to hold his own in a one on one contest. But he does have blond hair and that makes him worth more.

I also like the idea of the Fog playing a Riccuito type midfielder but I fear that Douglas may only be part of our depth next year and will only make a few appearances with the club.

My biggest concern is how we are going to replace Eddie. I just dont think we have anyone that can become "Just like Eddie". Murphy maybe a small forward but he certainly isnt an Eddie. We have to find an Eddie like small forward. The second but more urgent issue is finding a replacement for Jacobs. Our Trade strategy should be about getting a Ruckman and getting our draft picks in order. If that means trading the Gov then so be it...for the right price of course.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Berg but I also think that I am being too critical too early. I thought he was a little slow and he certainly needs more strength if he is to hold his own in a one on one contest. But he does have blond hair and that makes him worth more.

I also like the idea of the Fog playing a Riccuito type midfielder but I fear that Douglas may only be part of our depth next year and will only make a few appearances with the club.

My biggest concern is how we are going to replace Eddie. I just dont think we have anyone that can become "Just like Eddie". Murphy maybe a small forward but he certainly isnt an Eddie. We have to find an Eddie like small forward. The second but more urgent issue is finding a replacement for Jacobs. Our Trade strategy should be about getting a Ruckman and getting our draft picks in order. If that means trading the Gov then so be it...for the right price of course.
Still growing. Good below his knees. He's a keeper

Back