• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Small sample size from the w/e but Mcgrath looked terrible (along with the rest of the team mind you).

Seemed to go to ground far too easily.

Could be that his relative lack of size will not allow him to compete with the big boys at the elite end of the spectrum.

Will need to play on his other strengths to really stand out.

Taranto vs McCluggage it'll be eventually. Taranto is the bigger, more mature body here, but feel McLuggage has immense potential to be anything also.

McGrath will be a solid player, but he'll be just a B grade wingman/half back type I'd imagine, haven't seen any elite traits from him except perhaps his tank and he has a bit of speed, needs to find a way to be very damaging.

Taranto would have got most people's 2 votes last week and he definitely had an extremely solid game. But he didn't stand out anywhere near as much to me as McCluggage did. I'd say both will have equally as effective careers but there's something extra about McCluggage that might make him appear the better player.

Not writing McGrath off either, he's just not worthy of being in this discussion just yet.

Hugh McCluggage in the afl.com team of the week the first 2 rounds of the season, + 10 points in the coaches votes v the Eagles in round 1.
Huge fan of the Clugg. A lot of teams may well have taken him at pick 1.

People going a bit early on McGrath, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up being a really good player. Has enough weapons.

He's just behind Taranto and McCluggage right now. Would happily take any of the 3 at West Coast.

McCluggage is pure class, elite kick and so smooth, really really fit and has the best footy brain of the 3, can read the game like a book.
The amount of times he is by himself in a dangerous position in the Brisbane forward line is crazy, he just needs his teammates to be aware of where he is and his goals per game will increase by heaps.

McCluggage is pure class, elite kick and so smooth, really really fit and has the best footy brain of the 3, can read the game like a book.
The amount of times he is by himself in a dangerous position in the Brisbane forward line is crazy, he just needs his teammates to be aware of where he is and his goals per game will increase by heaps.
two absolute rippers tonight
insane difficulty and he made them look easy

McCluggage is an impact player, he doesn't rack up 30 touches for very little damage but when he gets it, he is evasive, clean, quick and damaging (Little bit of Simon Black).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCluggage. He has Brownlow potential about him and is one of the most exciting young midfield prospects in the game. For the bombers, it's just going to be a matter of how bad their decision to draft McGrath over McCluggage turns out.

Is McGrath just going to be a back pocket? His pace aside, nothing really excites me about him and whilst he will be a good AFL player for another 200 games, I just don't see how he can become elite. He isn't a great contested player, isn't a meters gained player, isn't overly aggressive or likely to take intercept marks. He doesn't have great depth in his kicking. In short, he is the type of player that plays OK most weeks but you don't really notice him. For some reason I see a lot of Brent Guearra in him, minus the aggression and penetrating kick.

McGrath at junior level was the most AFL-ready of the three, but also had enough upside to be considered as a number 1 pick, even though the other two always had higher ceilings. I can see McGrath turning into a damaging half back flanker, maybe even a one or two time AA, but at this stage I don't see how Taranto and McCluggage don't become elite midfielders. Hard to split them at this stage, they both bring great, but different qualities to the table. Clug the silkier, more evasive midfielder that will hugely impact a game even with just 20 disposals, TT the more statistically dominant player with very good skills for an inside mid

McGrath's going pretty well this year turning himself into a goal kicking midfielder with 4 goals in the past 2 rounds including the sealer vs Melbourne. If people think they've seen McGrath's ceiling already they will have to re-assess. He's a lot more than just a bloke who can play as a back pocket and rebound.

There is a long, long way to go for all 3 players. This debate won't get settled anytime soon. 3rd year players are still just kids really. Nowhere near maturity.

The big three from 2017 have all made a big impact in the first two years of their careers. McGrath won the Rising Star award last season, but Taranto and McCluggage have had great years (despite receiving minimal media attention). If you could do a redraft, who would you take with #1?
I said to all i spoke to about this draft that i was shocked that the Bombers didn't get McCluggage at pick one. thought he was the better in the under 18's that year.

Back