Opinion McKernan....where to next? Stay or PSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that we have learnt (and even more so, the players left behind have learnt) that while nobody will hold it against you if there's a legitimate reason to want out, there's a way to do it and a way not to do it.
it's not like we haven't had players leave the right way before though. We've had Maric, Knights and Griffin all leave on good terms with the clubs blessing (and disappointment though)

these are all grown men, they shouldn't have to "learn" to not act like twats.

it's not like we haven't had players leave the right way before though. We've had Maric, Knights and Griffin all leave on good terms with the clubs blessing (and disappointment though)

And all left to seek further opportunities which is fair enough

So you'd rather he go back to Melbourne, not say anything to the club and demand a trade ?

Yeah you're right. However, because of the way Gunston, Davis and Tippett left us I hope we don't start making life easier for other Judas' who want out of the club just because they don't treat us like dirt. When the chips are down they go running home to mummy.

Given the Tex injury, the lack of ruck depth and huge question marks over whether Jenkins is an AFL footballer, McKernan should still definitely be a required player at the AFC.

Yeah you're right. However, because of the way Gunston, Davis and Tippett left us I hope we don't start making life easier for other Judas' who want out of the club just because they don't treat us like dirt. When the chips are down they go running home to mummy.

To be fair, these are some different scenarios. Gunston and Tippett never wanted to be in Adelaide and were looking for the first plane out. Fair enough, not every player wants to play for every club.

Davis was money, again i understand that decision, he had a once in a lifetime offer and he will never be worth that much money that he is getting paid. Fair enough.

McKernan is leaving to quite simply save his career, if he is going to be an AFL caliber player, it isn't going to be here. He is also working with the club (not against like the first two) to get the best deal possible. Good on him and i hope he manages to save his career. That said, we should be trading him irregardless.

To be fair, these are some different scenarios. Gunston and Tippett never wanted to be in Adelaide and were looking for the first plane out. Fair enough, not every player wants to play for every club.

Davis was money, again i understand that decision, he had a once in a lifetime offer and he will never be worth that much money that he is getting paid. Fair enough.

McKernan is leaving to quite simply save his career, if he is going to be an AFL caliber player, it isn't going to be here. He is also working with the club (not against like the first two) to get the best deal possible. Good on him and i hope he manages to save his career. That said, we should be trading him irregardless.

I would prefer he try and save his career by staying with us given we have no backup ruckman and are thin on the ground when it comes to genuine KPP tall forwards

How much of our feeling towards them is coloured by the fact that they weren't best-22 players at the time of their departures though?

That said, we have had best-22 players depart in the past, without any rancour or angst - Kane Johnson & Tyson Stenglein spring to mind. There is clearly a right way and a wrong way to go about exiting the club - most players do it the right way, it takes a special kind of ****wit like Tiprat & Gunston to really piss off the supporter group.

I would prefer he try and save his career by staying with us given we have no backup ruckman and are thin on the ground when it comes to genuine KPP tall forwards

The thing is, even with all of that, he is on the outer.

We preferred to go with a lone ruck instead of McKernan in many games this season and even with Jenkins going down, we preferred to use a Johnston/Otten combination.

I'd say looking at that, he doesn't have much of a chance to save his career here and he looks like he needs a move. We'll be pretty active this off season, so it isn't hard to believe we'll recruit a ruckman.

Hell we even have Graham as the break glass in case of emergency option.

How much of our feeling towards them is coloured by the fact that they weren't best-22 players at the time of their departures though?

That said, we have had best-22 players depart in the past, without any rancour or angst - Kane Johnson & Tyson Stenglein spring to mind. There is clearly a right way and a wrong way to go about exiting the club - most players do it the right way, it takes a special kind of ****wit like Tiprat & Gunston to really piss off the supporter group.

it's almost entirely due to being outside the best 22 I think, as these are the guys who are leaving for opportunity which we can all understand. If you are best 22, I think being a bit vanilla doesn't hurt either. but if you're a likeable guy I think you'd get the benefit of the doubt no matter what.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have Podsiadly, Hawkins, Walker, Kersten, Murdoch as forwards. West, Simpson, Vardy, McIntosh as rucks. They'd be the last team who want McKernan.

Carlton have Waite, Rowe, Casboult in that 2nd ruck/forward sort of mould, with Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson as actual rucks. Again, I doubt there's much attraction there.

Western Bulldogs on the other hand have Will Minson as ruck...and that's about it EDIT: Ok it's not. Tom Campbell can be a forward/ruck at 201cm. Jordan Roughead could provide a chop out too but I think they'd much appreciate a cheap ruck/forward option.

North may also show interest with Petrie in his twilight, Goldstein and Currie as one-dimensional rucks and Black and Tarrant as forwards only.

Collingwood are in serious trouble in the ruck with Hudson, Lynch and Jolly pretty well done, Witts not showing much and Grundy being their only real hope.

And with all due respects to Philty, who I am a fan of, give me Crouch and Brown any day! No doubt he would be handy with the lack of talls but I still think Tippett's loss hurts the most.

Put him in our team this year and we make the finals. Put Philty into the team and I am not convinced we do!

i think Walker going down was the main problem.....would have helped having TIppett cover for that

I would have thought Carlton - they are looking for key forwards. McKernan for Warnock would work.
What makes you think we need another #1 ruckman ? .......that'll make 3 in Jacobs, Warnock, & Graham .....plus developing rucks on rookie

good way to stuff your list balance

Collingwood are in serious trouble in the ruck with Hudson, Lynch and Jolly pretty well done, Witts not showing much and Grundy being their only real hope.
:confused: .....Collingwood are fine ruckwise .......not sure you saw much of Witts but he is progressing fine and got better as season progressed

Both Lyons and McKernan didn't play fir the Bays today.

Anyone read anything into that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back