News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time we were in the mid to lower end of those lists in the first half of the season?

At a guess maybe early to mid 2020. We didn’t get crunched with injuries until the second hub that year when we played 5 games in 20 days or thereabouts

Edit : or maybe what Zerg said although 3 weeks ago Nat and Yeo were both on the list

It's really very simple:

The people we presently have are not doing a good job
They just replaced/appointed a bunch of new people. Need to give them more than 1 preseason and 5 games to be able to have their impact judged.

And no, most uni students definitely are not the answer.

Footy classified having a go at Nissy and Co

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not usually one to jump on Barrett and Lloyd's coat tails but they're spot on here. Gavin Bell seems like a great guy but the decisions since Vozzo left the footy department need to be examined.

At the end of 2021 Vozzo joins the club executive as senior corporate counsel, and instead of going to market to search for the best person for the role, West Coast decide to split the role, leaving Bell as Footy Manager and Ben Sharman Football Operations Manager.

Fast forward to the end of 2022, post our worst season in club history, Bell is elevated to GM of Footy (somewhat stealthily), while the footy department is 'bolstered' by the addition of Steve Trewhella as a Development Manager. Meanwhile Sharman's actual role remains unclear and the original decision to 'split' the GM role looks farcical in retrospect.

Bell doesn't carry the same gravitas as Vozzo and this latest attempt at deflection (never mind the club opting for the extra flights back to Perth anyway) not only reflects poorly on the club, but is another example of public missteps made in the past 3 years that have damaged the club's brand. The idea that West Coast are 'auditing' each injury is fine, but how about an audit of the entire football department and its regression in the past 2 years? The fact that period coincides with in-house promotions to key roles within the club is telling.

Bell isn't up to the GM of Footy role, he never was up to the GM of Footy role, and the club's insistence that the best candidates are within the four walls is emblematic of the overall malaise that has engulfed the club's footy department.

RANT OVER

Last night on 360.
No wonder Adelaide have been the big improvers.
Makes it a lot easier when you have a full list to choose from.

Sydney doing very well also.
The "games missing" stat is pretty useless. Over a quarter of our missing games comes from Hurn and about a third for Sydney come from Buddy. The most important is the total number and how many of those are best 22.

Saints appear to be hit about as badly as us, making their current form very impressive. It shows that their depth is a lot better than ours, which is to be expected as we are rebuilding.

For comparisons sake, this is us, against the crows under Burgess. Brisbane, in a lot of quarters, are rated as having the present best medical team in the comp

But, i am sure this is entirely coincidental.........

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgess single handedly responsible for no Crows breaking their ankles under opponents in tackles
I get your point, but AFL players get tackled awkwardly constantly. Players are constantly trapped underneath packs of other players.

It’s not like every awkward tackle = guaranteed knee or ankle injury otherwise there’d be no one left league-wide.

So there could plausibly be a S&C element to preventing injuries when getting tackled, on top of the obvious unavoidable luck element

I get your point, but AFL players get tackled awkwardly constantly. Players are constantly trapped underneath packs of other players.

It’s not like every awkward tackle = guaranteed knee or ankle injury otherwise there’d be no one left league-wide.

So there could plausibly be a S&C element to preventing injuries when getting tackled, on top of the obvious unavoidable luck element

I’m no expert but I’m not sure how much of an S&C program would be devoted to strengthening players’ ankles to be able to withstand the body weight of a 100kg opponent falling on it.

The criticism of the club I think is warranted. Go back and re-read the frustrations from the WCE board in the past 3 years has been as loud and vocal as it was with the Cousins drug cover up period. I hear all the negative responses about Lloyd and Barrett - warranted but that does not invalidate the points being made.

I for one have been consistent and vocal about the need to move on King Nessie I. Put simply - he has overstayed his best by date. He has now gone into excuse mode and is all too ready to sit on the pile of cash reserves with a hand picked Board that appears to be lacking in independence from the CEO. He has accepted slow responses from people at the club and his refusal to beef up the organisation with strength is now beyond a joke.

I would say that the CEO of the Eagles would be a highly sought after top job. It would attract top leaders not judst football heads. The fact that we have had so many emails from King Nessie I over the past 3 years has been symptomatic of a leader who has run out of ideas and sadly lacking in leadership and drive and is more interested in being seen as a nice guy.

Paul Fitzpatrick is a good solid citizen who at a pinch, could be a decent vice chair to run meetings etc but not lead an organisation that has 500,000 invested people (players, staff, members and fans). He is somewhat running on his brother's name and reputation (Paul was a solid D Grade University amateur player and a decent commercial litigation lawyer but no leader).

Fremantle are ahead of us. They get Garlic in to be CEO. A Victorian that had to go back and learn his lessons having been found out at his Doggies stint. They get a strong personality in Bell in as their head of football. They get Murphy in to run leadership and values. They moved on Rosich and Ross when they realised they had a problem. They also have a seat on the board for someone to represent the supporters.

I personally wrote to Wayne Martin as head of WAFC and question King Nessie I's control and the club's lack of independence at the Board and with Governance. Wayne was good enough to write back - all be it that it was you (like the WAFC) are stuck with this model and it is not about to change unless it comes from within the club and driven by the board.

A radical proposition. Would Justin Langer be the right person to lead the club? It could be as CEO or it could be as a paid Chair. Give him a 5 year term to turn the club into the best in the land. Let him go out and get the very best football operations director and a commercial director to be his go to people.

A vision for the future:-
  • purpose built facilities at Lathlain Park that turn it into a niche 10,000 stadium for WAFL and AFLW games (ie making it enjoyable for the members who have to put up with the 1970's facilities)
  • state of the art player facilities at Lathlain that support an elite women's programme (visiting clubs get crap facilities)
  • lead with all female footballers being full time employee with jobs for their other time in facilities, schools, administration, membership, etc for all female players
  • an aligned WAFL team with Perth that has our men and women playing with them
  • a membership base of 250,000 (a media deal that allows fans to pay $100 per annum and get all Eagles games streamed plus other benefits)

Something needs to change and it is change at the top that is needed. Alas, turkeys very seldom vote for Thanksgiving

The criticism of the club I think is warranted. Go back and re-read the frustrations from the WCE board in the past 3 years has been as loud and vocal as it was with the Cousins drug cover up period. I hear all the negative responses about Lloyd and Barrett - warranted but that does not invalidate the points being made.

I for one have been consistent and vocal about the need to move on King Nessie I. Put simply - he has overstayed his best by date. He has now gone into excuse mode and is all too ready to sit on the pile of cash reserves with a hand picked Board that appears to be lacking in independence from the CEO. He has accepted slow responses from people at the club and his refusal to beef up the organisation with strength is now beyond a joke.

I would say that the CEO of the Eagles would be a highly sought after top job. It would attract top leaders not judst football heads. The fact that we have had so many emails from King Nessie I over the past 3 years has been symptomatic of a leader who has run out of ideas and sadly lacking in leadership and drive and is more interested in being seen as a nice guy.

Paul Fitzpatrick is a good solid citizen who at a pinch, could be a decent vice chair to run meetings etc but not lead an organisation that has 500,000 invested people (players, staff, members and fans). He is somewhat running on his brother's name and reputation (Paul was a solid D Grade University amateur player and a decent commercial litigation lawyer but no leader).

Fremantle are ahead of us. They get Garlic in to be CEO. A Victorian that had to go back and learn his lessons having been found out at his Doggies stint. They get a strong personality in Bell in as their head of football. They get Murphy in to run leadership and values. They moved on Rosich and Ross when they realised they had a problem. They also have a seat on the board for someone to represent the supporters.

I personally wrote to Wayne Martin as head of WAFC and question King Nessie I's control and the club's lack of independence at the Board and with Governance. Wayne was good enough to write back - all be it that it was you (like the WAFC) are stuck with this model and it is not about to change unless it comes from within the club and driven by the board.

A radical proposition. Would Justin Langer be the right person to lead the club? It could be as CEO or it could be as a paid Chair. Give him a 5 year term to turn the club into the best in the land. Let him go out and get the very best football operations director and a commercial director to be his go to people.

A vision for the future:-
  • purpose built facilities at Lathlain Park that turn it into a niche 10,000 stadium for WAFL and AFLW games (ie making it enjoyable for the members who have to put up with the 1970's facilities)
  • state of the art player facilities at Lathlain that support an elite women's programme (visiting clubs get crap facilities)
  • lead with all female footballers being full time employee with jobs for their other time in facilities, schools, administration, membership, etc for all female players
  • an aligned WAFL team with Perth that has our men and women playing with them
  • a membership base of 250,000 (a media deal that allows fans to pay $100 per annum and get all Eagles games streamed plus other benefits)

Something needs to change and it is change at the top that is needed. Alas, turkeys very seldom vote for Thanksgiving
JL's been on the board almost 6 years. If he hasn't been able to exhibit any real influence by now, then he never will.

I’m no expert but I’m not sure how much of an S&C program would be devoted to strengthening players’ ankles to be able to withstand the body weight of a 100kg opponent falling on it.
I’d like to think the ability to withstand the rigours of tackling would be a consideration of the S&C team.

But I’m no physio or recent university graduate

I'm not usually one to jump on Barrett and Lloyd's coat tails but they're spot on here. Gavin Bell seems like a great guy but the decisions since Vozzo left the footy department need to be examined.

At the end of 2021 Vozzo joins the club executive as senior corporate counsel, and instead of going to market to search for the best person for the role, West Coast decide to split the role, leaving Bell as Footy Manager and Ben Sharman Football Operations Manager.

Fast forward to the end of 2022, post our worst season in club history, Bell is elevated to GM of Footy (somewhat stealthily), while the footy department is 'bolstered' by the addition of Steve Trewhella as a Development Manager. Meanwhile Sharman's actual role remains unclear and the original decision to 'split' the GM role looks farcical in retrospect.

Bell doesn't carry the same gravitas as Vozzo and this latest attempt at deflection (never mind the club opting for the extra flights back to Perth anyway) not only reflects poorly on the club, but is another example of public missteps made in the past 3 years that have damaged the club's brand. The idea that West Coast are 'auditing' each injury is fine, but how about an audit of the entire football department and its regression in the past 2 years? The fact that period coincides with in-house promotions to key roles within the club is telling.

Bell isn't up to the GM of Footy role, he never was up to the GM of Footy role, and the club's insistence that the best candidates are within the four walls is emblematic of the overall malaise that has engulfed the club's footy department.

RANT OVER
Totally agree, the club should be moving heaven & earth to get the absolute best in the industry into the footy dept (GM & Ops) and possibly more importantly Development Manager. Nothing wrong with promoting from within but not with the results we've since since these appointments. No disrespect to these guys but I believe there is better out there. It is going to be crucial the club gets development absolutely spot on with the rebuild. Great post.

I believe this to be the case as well. Its a flexibility thing from what I'm told. The more flexible tendons and muscles the more it can handle strange movements and recover from injury. This is as simple as young people don't get injured as much or take as long to come back as old people. As you get older tendons and surrounding tissue get more rigid allowing for longer recovery times / more likely an injury will happen in response to odd landings etc. Scar tissue from previous injuries effects this as well.

Some Basketballers are now told to practice landing awkwardly at training as it strengthens the response to strange movements. I listened to a coach talk about how they've added a drill that promotes this as they believe repetitive safe movements weakens the ability to handle odd landings etc. They didn't explain the drill beyond saying they did that though which was a bit frustrating as I would like to know how you can introduce this and not suffer more injuries. The coach that I listened to said they had seen a reduction in ankle lower leg injuries since they introduced this.

I would assume a high contact sport like footy must have some training for injury prevention from odd movements.

I've got the solutions guys:

Milk Glass GIF

These mother*ers need more calcium.

Uni students, pfft. I just solved all our issues right here.

Best and brightest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back